Help html emails/mailchimp

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by rutabowa, Mar 6, 2018.

1. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

YO hello, I've been asked of I can do these (html responsive email templates/mailchimp email templates)... how easy is it to learn? I have a creative suite background, I know what html is and the theory behind it but really not much in detail, are these email things the kind of thing that it is possible to pick up pretty quickly, or would that be a disaster because you will probably neglect something massively important that isn't immediately apparent?

edit: I've used wordpress before and I get the idea that mailchimp works in a kind similar way for designing?

2. lazythursday

lazythursday Well-Known Member

I think it's a bit of a minefield - so many different email clients online and offline that interpret HTML in different ways. I've done templates for clients, but I've tended to stick to using mailchimp's drag and drop builder out of fear of the unknown. I'd start with an existing, proven template and adapt it rather than trying to be too creative.

Dom Traynor likes this.
  3. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Mail chimp is easy using drag and drop only

moose likes this.
  4. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

Would I be right in thinking it is not a massively interesting thing to do?

It sounds like if you use Mailchimp for designing emails then you don't really need to bother learning how to do html then? Like it is either one or the other, you don't do both?

5. lazythursday

I think you can also upload your own html to mailchimp, adding in the right tags so it integrates properly with their system. And you may well be able to download some sort of template to start you on that process (I'm not sure) so what you are building is based on something that is tried and tested.

But it is so much easier to use the drag and drop method and just design the image blocks you are going to insert. However that does have limitations in terms of the design. I quite like playing with Mailchimp, but the interesting stuff is understanding the analytics really.

Seems to be more interest in email marketing again now that Facebook have reduced visibility of brands.

rutabowa likes this.
  6. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

IS there a quick primer course you could recommend? I've looked on Lynda and Udemi they both have something...

7. lazythursday

No, I just taught myself, if you're using the drag and drop template builder it's all pretty intuitive.

Having just glanced they do seem to have increased the number of layouts available which might make custom coding less attractive. But then I always lean towards the easy option if it exists.

8. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Have you tried just playing around during with it. When i started I did the need any tutorials as it was easy to work things out myself.

Unless you need to do some complicated layouts or something...

9. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baŠĻČned: All

Unless you're doing something weird, Mailchimp is a piece of piss. Get the template sorted and then anyone in your organisation can use it.

10. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

What about HTML responsive email templates? are these pretty much unnecessary if you use mailchimp? It seems like you end up with the same thing, an email. Just wondering why they mentioned needing both.

11. moose

moose like some cat from Japan

If you need emails templates to use outside of Mailchimp, for example in Outlook, Bee Pro's pretty good for businesses.

rutabowa likes this.
  12. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

Oo thanks

13. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

Did a bit of the old responsive html email coding today... well by coding I mean copy and pasting bits of code from the mailchimp tutorial... it worked though!

14. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

Does anyone know how I can preview an email as though it has had all the images blocked? All my test emails arrive with images present....

15. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

Got it, you mark the test email as junk then view it in the junk folder.