How will you feel if England go out of the WC?

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018' started by Spymaster, Jul 8, 2018.

?

How will you feel if England lose?

1. Mildly disappointed but chuffed they got this far:

63.1%
  2. Absolutely GUTTED!

15.5%
  3. Glad they're out:

4.8%
  4. Couldn't care less either way:

16.7%
  1. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

So England are second favourites to win the World Cup and just 2 games away from doing so. That's just weird!

How disappointed will you be if they go out against Croatia next week or lose in the final?

Before the tournament started I'd have been surprised if we got out of the group stage, not because of the team but because that's just what happens with England in international tournaments. There's no way I'd have expected them to win a penalty shoot out or get to the semi-finals so I'm already well chuffed. If the wheels come off now it's been a great ride. The players and the remarkably decent manager in particular have acquitted themselves with class and dignity that we haven't been accustomed to in English football and so far the fans have been pretty good too.

Well done all round, I say.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    QueenOfGoths, kittyP, Voley and 5 others like this.
  2. dessiato

dessiato Life is a lemon, and I want my money back

It's the best result for 28 years. But all other things being equal there's a high probability they'll not win.

3. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

Voted "absolutely GUTTED" because Croatia are beatable, but I've convinced myself that France or Belgium will win, so it will save us the grief of losing a final.

4. JuanTwoThree

JuanTwoThree All Cretans are liars, Epiminides (Cretan)

Win/Win for me. I shall be English if you win and insouciantly Welsh if you don't. But I'd rather you won.

sealion, Voley, hegley and 1 other person like this.
  5. Rebelda

Rebelda Nearly as bad as Badgers

Combination of the first two options. I won't be angry, smashy gutted but mildly disappointed doesn't cover it.

I don't think I'll cry like a Swede (etc etc) 10 mins before full time if we're down but penalties are a cruel way to go out. Would probably shed a tear then.

QueenOfGoths, Mation, kittyP and 2 others like this.
  6. souljacker

souljacker innit

If we don't win this, I'll smash up at least two of my local pubs. But I was going to do that if we win too.

Mation, oryx, sealion and 13 others like this.
  7. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Yes, I couldn't think of an option to put between them. "Pissed off but not suicidal" maybe?

Rebelda likes this.
  8. Mrs D

Mrs D . Banned

Gutted because I’ve got long motorway journeys to make on Wednesday and Sunday at match times and the fewer cars on the road the better.

frogwoman and Badgers like this.
  9. craigxcraig

craigxcraig Prefers 'cxc'

Like you, I thought we wouldn't progress out of the group - ive been too caught up in the hype of previous tournaments and actually swithced off from England, theres only so many time you can hear gerrard, lampard et al saying things are different, we're gunna win, only to crash out a week or so later. This England has been been brilliant and id be absolutley gutted.

On the plus side, I do have France.in the work sweepstake....

Badgers and Spymaster like this.
  10. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

Badgers likes this.
  11. binka

binka !!!!!!!!!

We're not just there to make up the numbers . It will be a national disaster if we don't win it from here

craigxcraig likes this.
  12. S☼I

S☼I walk the water like a sun

I'm just happy. It's been a great tournament and England have exceeded all expectations. We go out Wednesday there'll be a bit of "what might have been" disappointment and a few tears I imagine, but they've already won more than I expected - they won the fans back.

Southgate has been brilliant in everything he's done, and will deservedly get huge credit. He's shown you can be a leader without being aggressive, a bullshitter, an egomaniac, soulless or a twat.

As far as the team goes, they've already made it to that rarefied place where England fans will remember them as long as the game is played, and they've done it without being pricks. They've had as much fun as we have. And good on them for that.

But all of this is irrelevant and will have to be reconsidered in the light of England beating Croatia 1-0 on Wednesday then Belgium on pens in Sunday's final :p

Mation, sealion, kittyP and 13 others like this.
  13. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

2-0

Badgers likes this.
  14. Griff

Griff Hardly posting anymore

Gutted obviously.

Cannot imagine the feeling and build up to England in a World Cup Final, probably feel less gutted about losing that than going out to Croatia. :D

Badgers likes this.
  15. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

I will be too busy readying the Euro 2020 threads to worry.

16. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

A mixture of glad and couldn’t really care.

The game/cup itself to me is utterly inconsequential. But how certain quarters will react if we win will be vomit inducing at best and downright nasty at worst.

scifisam, ddraig and frogwoman like this.
  17. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

Yep, all this. :)

And to think it was supposed to have been Big Sam. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

S☼I likes this.
  18. S☼I

Nice article here, making some great points.

16 Conclusions: England 2-0 Sweden - Football365

19. bendeus

bendeus Bellend Tagline Generator

There's no 'disappointed for my English friends but fleetingly amused' option :mad:

ddraig and frogwoman like this.
  20. Riklet

Riklet procrastinación

Disappointed but not surprised.

I have never thought theyre good enough to win and nothing ive seen this tournament has changed my mind. Still I'll be hoping to be wrong and supporting em all the way.

France would beat them 3-1 no probs tho.

frogwoman likes this.
  21. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

What form will this national disaster take?

22. binka

binka !!!!!!!!!

I haven't decided yet

23. The39thStep

Hopefully you won't be cooking

24. frogwoman

frogwoman лягушкая женщина

Everyone back home must be going mad.

25. The39thStep

most of them have been mad for years

frogwoman and MadeInBedlam like this.
  26. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

About this. Four weeks ago, a semi-final would have been an amazing achievement. And it still will be. But, it's Croatia. A knackered Croatia. To lose to them would be gutting.

frogwoman and mx wcfc like this.
  27. MadeInBedlam

MadeInBedlam Arm the mentally ill Enforced Holiday

Stop fucking jinxing it

frogwoman likes this.
  28. frogwoman

frogwoman лягушкая женщина

Yeah I don't want to say that we're going to win until its actually over.

29. tommers

tommers Your disco needs you

I'm less eager to tell everybody that we're going to win it now that there is a slight possibility.

It was funny before. :(

30. S☼I

I've told a kid at school if we win the World Cup I'll eat my own shoes on the playground.