How was your cycle commute?

Discussion in 'transport' started by ChrisFilter, Feb 19, 2009.

1. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

Commute ranting is so big, and cycle commutes can be brilliant, so I thought I'd start a new thread for those of us who cycle to work.

Today? I got the train. Puncture yesterday. Terrible road surface at Tulse Hill as you come from West Norwood through to the South Circular. Saw a pot hole late and had to cover over it. Hit the back wheel hard enough to give me an instant flat.

Luckily I used to live there, so wheeled it to a mate's who stored my bike at his, then drove me to HH station. Result!

Apart from that, I only started cycling to work again the week before last and I'm lovin every minute of it. Interestly I find I'm enjoying the 12 mile commute more than I used to enjoy my 7 and 4 mile commutes. Feels like a proper distance, and I'm pacing myself a bit more rather than sprinting all the way.

South Norwood hill is a nice warm up in the morning. Had to walk up the first couple of times, but now I can manage it ok. Same with Knight's Hill on the way home. That is a bit of a struggle considering I'm carrying about 2 stone in excess weight, plus a heavy bag. Improving each cycle though.

All in all, really enjoying it and getting fit far quicker than expected.

How was/is your cycle commute?

2. El Jefe

El Jefe .. the Rural Juror

you're such a show-off motherfucker.

3. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

No I'm not. Amongst proper cyclists I would be laughed at for struggling with Knight's Hill.

4. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

I got a wet arse
    You're a pussy, Chris!

5. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Sucessful?
    Popular?

6. Hellsbells

Hellsbells World's best procrastinator

I got the tube today b'cos it was pouring with rain when i got up.
    Really really wish i'd taken my bike now.

This week, cycling in has been fantastic. The temperature is perfect and it feels like such a treat after endless weeks of being absoultely frozen.

My bike feels a little battered and bruised at the moment though. All the recent weather has been bad for it :(

7. sir.clip

sir.clip Well-Known Member

Yep.. You got that right..

8. 100% masahiko

100% masahiko i is a professor and is magical like totoro

I didn't cycle in today. Didn't want to ruin my beautiful locks.
    And I hate walking around with a wet arse.

9. Boris Sprinkler

Boris Sprinkler Jah bless

It was a snow storm this morning. Bit slippery but chucked a hat, some gloves and waterproofs over my suit.
    The snow came down faster than they could clear the cycle lanes and it felt a bit sketchy on a fixie with skinny tires. Didn't put my feet down once.

10. Biddlybee

Biddlybee making knots with sticks

Aye, I got the bus because it was pissing down where I live... then 10 mins down the road it was dry :mad:

The roads are a lot shitter after the cold weather aren't they? Seem to be loads more potholes and general bumpiness. Had to gaffa tape my mudguard back together after it snapped when I hit a hole on Monday :rolleyes:

11. Orang Utan

Not a proper cyclist if you don't commute just cos it's raining :p

12. Biddlybee

Wtf? :D I'll cycle when I want :p

13. Orang Utan

Fairweather cyclist!

14. Biddlybee

Fuck off, fairweather cyclist... one day not cycling in doesn't mean I don't most days :rolleyes:

Just because I don't drive everyday doesn't mean I'm not a driver :confused:

15. 100% masahiko

I'm a Fairweather Cyclist cos I don't like getting wet for work.

16. Biddlybee

I really don't care getting wet - I change when I get to work. Wind is worse.

17. 100% masahiko

What about your hair? Underwear? Socks?
    My bag is full when I'm cycling and weighs a ton already.
    And I like going fast.

18. Orang Utan

I have a shower when I get to work and I change my clothes - my socks don't tend to get wet though, just my arse.

19. Boris Sprinkler

hmm i don't get it. I am guessing a commute in london must be harder work. I never have a sweat on and I am wearing a suit and waterproofs (if applicable). In the summer a shirt and trousers. I shower before I leave for work.

20. Orang Utan

How fast do you cycle? I don't get a sweat on if I keep down to 10mph or less

21. 100% masahiko

Not really. It takes me 20 minutes to cycle from Streatham Hill to Victoria.
    The problem is that I sprint-cycle on high gears and sweat loads.
    And in work, I have to wear a smart suit and look the part - typical corporate environment bollocks.

Wished I had a shower place in here :(

22. fredfelt

fredfelt Mostly unknown member

Fell off my bike when going too fast around a corner a few days ago. Broke thumb and generally bruised. Being forced to do my 18 mile round trip in borrowed car until I recover. I find commuting by car generally rubbish. It's not any quicker in the car and I really miss getting my twice daily dose of exercise. I'm also missing the glowing feel I get when I reach my destination -I don't feel feel I've left my working day behind when I get home and can feel restless through lack of exercise. I'm also a fair bit worse off after paying for fuel etc.

Hopefully next week I'll be well enough to ride again - what ever the weather.

23. Biddlybee

Waterproofs over a suit... that must make you sweat?

24. Boris Sprinkler

Round about 15 - 20 mph. Not hard. But it's a light fixed wheel and no traffic other than other cyclists to contend with. Most of the time I keep a suit a work and wear jeans and shirt and tie with a jacket over the top. I just don't sweat doing it.

25. Boris Sprinkler

it's not stopped snowing for 3 days and the wind chill is bitter.

26. dodgepot

dodgepot New Member

i need to get my bike fixed. i miss cycling. even in the rain.

27. Orang Utan

Maybe you're fitter than me - I have a spare tire round my waist and I try to keep above 20mph where it's safe to do so as I feel like I've wasted my commute if I don't get sweaty and out-of-breath

28. Hellsbells

Hellsbells World's best procrastinator

Yeah, this is true for me too. If i don't cycle in, i have to go to the gym or something after work, otherwise i can't sleep and just feel horrible.
    I like that feeling of hunger you get after cycling into work aswell - it makes food taste so good!

29. Biddlybee

I still sweat in the cold :oops:

Same here... off for a swim later :D

30. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

got the bus today as i managed to finally mangle back wheel into snapping whilst crossing a main road on way back last night! :mad:
    already missing it and can't cycle to bike shop to look for new bike under 'cycle to work scheme' so will have to borrow a bloody car :mad:
    need my new bike quick!