How to you rate your current boss? Or, yourself if you are one.

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by cupid_stunt, Nov 30, 2018.

?

5 is highest, top options for rating your boss, bottom 5 options for rating yourself as a boss.

1. I rate my boss - 5

12.5%
  2. I rate my boss - 4

12.5%
  3. I rate my boss - 3

12.5%
  4. I rate my boss - 2

8.3%
  5. I rate my boss - 1

12.5%
  6. I rate myself - 5

8.3%
  7. I rate myself - 4

16.7%
  8. I rate myself - 3

8.3%
  9. I rate myself - 2

4.2%
  10. I rate myself - 1

4.2%
  1. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt Dyslexic King Cnut the Great.

I've had some seriously good ones, and some seriously bad ones, that were complete nightmares.

Most of my working life I've been in middle management 'hands on' roles, where I've always tried my best to be a good manager, and protect my team should we have a more senior manager that has been a complete fuckwit.

At sometimes I've been the 'big boss', like I am now, running a small business, which I only set-up because I had to walk out of my last job, as the senior management was shit, and caused more problems than they solved. There was nowt else going locally where my experience & skills would fit in with any position that would suit me personally, so I was left with little choice, but do something myself.

I think one of the worst I came across was at my last job, a temp manager was brought in to cover maternity leave, I had a separate team, but in the same open-plan office. I witnessed her treating her team like shit, and reducing some to tears, I couldn't get my head around it, certainly a 1 out of 5 twat. In the end, I had to go to our joint senior manager, only to discover they were friends, which is how she got the job, so that went down well. :facepalm:

Being a temp manager, my sister-in-law described her as a 'Seagull Manager' - flies in, making a lot of noise, shits on people, then flies off again. :D

Personally, my basic principle is to treat people as you would expect to be treated yourself, which seems simple enough, and has worked for me. I've also never really considered myself as a 'boss' as such, just a team member that by accident happened to be the team leader, if that makes sense.

I've moved jobs, and when vacancies have become available, people from my previous job have applied and ended-up coming across, I can think of at least half a dozen having done that. I take that as a sign that I am a good 'boss'.

So, anyway how do you rate your current boss, or yourself if you are boss, and what good or bad boss stories can you share?

I am giving myself 4 out 5, because whilst I consider I am almost perfect, there's always room for improvement, and I didn't want to be seen as too arrogant! :D

equationgirl likes this.
  2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

the big boss? 2/5

he's not absolutely dreadful. and i'm feeling generous

equationgirl and cupid_stunt like this.
  3. Epona

Epona I am Hououin Kyouma

There's a reason I am unemployed and unemployable.

4. dessiato

dessiato Mele Kalikimaka hauʻoli hou makahiki

The poll doesn't go low enough for my boss. He merits a 0 at best.

Mrs Dess sent him an email this week about three 16 yr olds, not from the academy, who pushed into her classroom and were aggressive towards her. She wants to talk to him about this. Although he's opened the email, there's a read notification, he's not replied. I'm fuming that he's not been in touch at all.

planetgeli and Pickman's model like this.
  5. cheesethief

cheesethief Well-Known Member

Worst boss I ever had was when I was self-employed... total wanker :mad:

A380, farmerbarleymow, tim and 6 others like this.
  6. Epona

Epona I am Hououin Kyouma

I am a dreadful person to work with - the bosses I get on with are the ones who just let me get on and do my job, I can't bear anyone who pesters about it or tries to interfere or tells me how to get from A to B - if you want B, then you leave it up to me how to get there from point A in the way that works best for me. If goalposts change, I am not going to pretend that didn't happen - and that makes me unpopular. I do tend to work hard though.

I am good at re-designing things so that they work better, in terms of how to record stuff and use IT to better advantage - this doesn't always go down well though.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    spitfire and equationgirl like this.
  7. smmudge

smmudge Sissy that walk!

3 out of 5 because she is never around, but on the other hand, she is never around.

8. chilango

chilango Cold, frankly incensed and...meh

There's only two kinds of boss.

Bad ones and non-existent ones.

maomao likes this.
  9. Argonia

Argonia Happy go licky

I love my boss at the moment because they don't interfere with my work and just let me get it on with. It's only temporary till July next year though so am having to look for permanent work to replace it with. Will miss the place I am currently at if I find a new job.

10. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

Hahahaha. Hahahaha. Where’s the 0 option?

Incompetence bordering on criminal negligence. Never before worked with such a unified staff, all calling out the bullshit as one. Management inhabit a different reality. Dangerous.

11. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

My boss is pretty good - he gets a 4, and in truth not getting a 5 is because of stuff completely outside of his control.

I on the other hand am fucking wonderful. Diligent, competent, friendly, and supportive of colleagues who I might find myself in competition with in future promotion boards...

My worst boss was so awful that I tried to join the SAS in order get away from him.

12. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat put on an iron shirt, chase santa out of earth

13. moomoo

moomoo Not so yummy mummy

My boss is a solid 4. He leaves me alone to do my job, pretty much let’s me pick and choose my hours, gives me time off whenever I want it and isn’t any bother whatsoever.

He loses a point because he can be patronising and speaks to me as you would a small child at times. But I’ve called him out on it and he explained it’s because I’ve got the attention span of a gnat which is fair comment.

14. WWWeed

WWWeed Bandwidth Bandit

I'm not even sure who my 'boss' is. My chain of management are complete chocolate teapots so that might explain that.

15. moochedit

moochedit Mr Mooched It

My immediate bosses have mostly been ok but higher up the chain they are mostly cunts.

16. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen Sparkly cat whisperer

My boss is a bit of seagull tbh.

Lupa likes this.
  17. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

My boss is a good un. Expects a lot but he’s really really good at what he does, so fair enough. Learning a lot from him, and he lets me get stuck in and will assume I can do something (so my responsibility to say if I can’t- but then he’ll show me). Not much patience for stuff that doesn’t meet his standards (would not dare to be late, or leave something undone- wouldn’t anyway tho). I like that tho, he has pride in his team and people step up to that. He’s well loved too, because he actually gives a shit about those under him. All round 5/5.

WWWeed and kebabking like this.
  18. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

I don't have a boss.
    I have like 15 managers who take it in turns to manage me. In a whole year I probably get about 500 minutes worth of management in total.
    I had 10 minutes of management 2 days ago. 8 of that was spent chatting about football.

19. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

I give myself a 5 as I work for myself.

I'm still recovering from the abuse I received from a shit manager in my last company. She can rot in hell :D

cupid_stunt likes this.
  20. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

All bosses are cunts. Including me during that part of my job where I am effectively a boss.

equationgirl likes this.
  21. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

My current boss is a vast improvement on my last boss, has been very supportive and helpful on various issues, although does have a tendency to sweat the small stuff, which I'm trying to train her out of.

I like to think I'm OK as a boss. Certainly the chap that works for me is a lot less nervous since he started reporting to me, and I try to be kind and helpful to him. He's always apologetic whenever he books holiday, but I tell him not to worry. He keeps on top of the deadlines and does an amazing job, and I want him to keep on doing that.

kebabking and cupid_stunt like this.
  22. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

I once worked for someone who was a terrible boss - it was suspected she had narcissistic personality disorder and she was a controlling micromanage to boot. Not fun.

23. MickiQ

MickiQ Well-Known Member

I currently work for myself so I have to say my current boss is an all round superb chap, The quality of managers I have had when I was a corporate drone varied enormously from some who were great to some who I would have cheerfully shot in the back at the first opportunity.
    I had one once who used to ask people what they were doing at the weekend and would often tell them they couldn't in case the company needed to call them for something (even if not oncall), needless to say I at least just ignored her.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    equationgirl and cupid_stunt like this.
  24. felixthecat

felixthecat are we there yet?

My direct boss is flippin' awesome. Love him to bits!

Bahnhof Strasse and cupid_stunt like this.
  25. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Same, my direct boss is lovely, she really gets the industry we work in, and supports me 100% with the right level of hands off management based on mutual trust. I feel I could go to her with any issue or dumb query without a problem.

I really could not say the same for my past few jobs.

Bahnhof Strasse and cupid_stunt like this.
  26. Borp

Borp remember

My immediate boss - 4. He's actually great. Protects the team. Fights for pay rises for everyone. And secures them. Is only ever bossy about the actual work. Doesn't sweat the irrelevant stuff. Probably the best thing is he doesn't actually want to be a boss, but he has some good qualities that make him a good one. He loses a point because he's also a mate.

cupid_stunt likes this.
  27. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt Dyslexic King Cnut the Great.

Story of my life. :D

Perhaps that helps someone being a 'good' boss.

MickiQ likes this.