How to ride the last remaining sleeper trains in UK and Europe

Discussion in 'transport' started by editor, Feb 3, 2017.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Nice article in the Torygraph:

How to ride the last remaining sleeper trains

2. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

The sleeper to Penzance is very cool, well worth a go.

3. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Not what they want but what is good for them

Did the Kiev-Odessa one in October. HAve cancelled a trip to the USa this summer for obvious reasons and will be taking the Helsinki--Moscow one in the summer. The kids are crying already at the thoiught of another clankety clankety sleeper.The Tolstoi is a beautiful train by all accounts

[​IMG]

trashpony, Lupa, miss direct and 12 others like this.
  4. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Free the Sepsis Six!

Just booked this for April, Totnes to London.

5. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf I've looked at life from both sides now

Helsinki-Moscow:cool:

6. not-bono-ever

^^^ sorting out the visa this week - St P is wonderful in the summer when it never gets dark - Looking forward to the St P_ Moscow leg

Idris2002, Lupa and editor like this.
  7. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Patterdale Terrorist

I'm wanting to book a sleeper train from Paris to Rome, one way, sometime in June. Any advice about how best to do this or what the options are, is it even possible?

Bahnhof Strasse is this within your area of expertise?

I remember getting 'couchette' bunks in 6 person compartments on European sleeper trains BITD when I went inter-railing, would be happy with that kind of thing if they still exist. Otherwise, a private cabin (2 adults).

Any ideas / advice / recommendations etc anyone?

Cheers :thumbs:

8. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

I'm guessing you've already looked in here?

The Man in Seat Sixty-One - the train travel guide...

twentythreedom likes this.
  9. not-bono-ever

SNCF site is OK - but most euro sites will not allow you to book anything outside their country- its not cheep thou, but it is a big slab of a journey

10. twentythreedom

gaijingirl likes this.
  11. twentythreedom

marty21 and Riklet like this.
  12. Riklet

Riklet procrastinación

Might be worth looking from London too?

Go on SNCF website and book there from Paris if not. You can change the language and it's very user friendly. You shouldnt have any problems.

Just looked and Paris to Milan looks easy peasy... Fares in june from 29e still going online. Get on it!

Have a look on Thello | site officiel | trains France-Italie too as looks like some options there too. Edit: only goes Rome/Florence to Paris.

Sncf to Turin and change looks best. Hereyago. Trains from Paris to other countries | Train times, fares, online tickets

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  13. twentythreedom

Thanks man much appreciated. I'll report back :)

I'm gonna see what the Hof says in the morning then take it from there.

I love sleeper trains. Such a good way to travel. To go to sleep in one city / country and wake up in another, usually with some interesting and fun experiences along the way often involving meeting random people and getting hammered - what's not to love :cool::thumbs:

My earliest sleeper train memory is of driving to KX and my dad putting the car (Volvo 245 :cool:) on a long Motorail car-carrying wagon for a journey to far north Scotland. It was incredibly exciting :) Woke up in Scotland, dad drove the car off the wagon and we headed off on holiday :thumbs:

Motorail was great, presumably it is no more?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  14. Bahnhof Strasse

Heh, hate booking trains! The sleeper goes from Paris to Milan, then a connection to Rome. Book through Rail Europe, (they'll do the London-Paris too) but by phone as the website is shit, 0844 848 4066. Splashing for a proper cabin, preferably on your own is so much better, sleeping in your clothes is a bit beneath a man of your breeding twentythreedom ;)

15. Bahnhof Strasse

Night Riviera two weeks ago, bang on time and they'd refurbished the cabins. Still small, but perfectly adequate for a decent sleep, wake at Paddington at 0630, a shower, coffee and head on with your day :thumbs:

RAIL1.JPG

RAIL2.JPG

RAIL3.JPG

16. twentythreedom

You're quite right tbf, and my valet would never stand for it anyway. As I understand it, in your professional capacity you make bookings such as this on behalf of your customers in exchange for skimming off a bit of commission, right? Perhaps you could offer such services to the good people of Urban :hmm:

*coughs* ;)

A380 likes this.
  17. Bahnhof Strasse

This is true, although I believe you may have missed this bit: Heh, hate booking trains!

Rail Europe are one of the few things that do pay commission to agents, about 1.5%, so almost covering the cost of the phone call...so we normally bung on a flat fee of £20, bi-turbo Audis don't service themselves...

Be more than happy to get the times and prices for you, but do the booking yourself by calling Rail Europe, they're nice guys and they work on commission too, so by calling you are spreading the wealth :thumbs:

A380 likes this.
  18. miss direct

miss direct misfungled

There is a sleeper train running this summer from Istanbul to Bucharest, am going to try to use it.

Lupa and A380 like this.
  19. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

neonwilderness and editor like this.
  20. not-bono-ever

Interestingly, in an effort to expand the kids horizons on a budget, you can travel the overnighter "Beograd" from Belgrade to Budapest for a flat EUR 15 for a seat (or +8 EUR for a bunk supplement) - that's about 20 quid for a (rough) sleeper train.

21. not-bono-ever

editor likes this.
  22. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

23. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Some hope of OBB (Austrian operators - who took on a fair chunk of the withdrawn German routes) , expanding to include Amsterdam .....

paolo likes this.
  24. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

On Sunday I am going to travel from Barcelona to Sarria on the RENFE Trenhotel. 12 hours, 600 miles. It has ended up bloody expensive, about €180 for a single en suite room, but it has long been an ambition of mine to do a sleeper train so I’ve bitten the bullet. And from Sarria it’s the Camino de Santiago so I’ll be staying in very cheap accommodation for the next five nights so it all balances out.

A380 and Lupa like this.
  25. a_chap

a_chap When the world came apart, where were you?

Strikes me as a curious ambition to have. The idea of a sleeper is that you're... you know asleep, and therefore miss most of the journey. Unless you choose to stay awake in which case what's the point of travelling on a sleeper.

:confused: :p

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  26. catinthehat

catinthehat Failed VK = Replicant

I did the Helkinki to St P train a few years back and going to StP we had a Finnish train - very sleek with a pets carriage and a smoking carriage. On the way back we had a Russian train - lots of curtains and ribbons and plastic flowers with a sort of carriage women who made tea and gave out menus. I remember a tempting dish which was described in english as 'Scrag and meaty'.

Lupa and not-bono-ever like this.
  27. Lupa

Lupa .

I'd love to go on the Calendonian Sleeper.

Smick likes this.
  28. miss direct

miss direct misfungled

I’m taking a sleeper train in three weeks yay!

Lupa likes this.
  29. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

I’ve got a fascination with sleeping and moving. I’d also love to go on a band’s tour bus and a first class long haul flight with lie flat seats.

It might not work out this way, and I’ll spend the night looking at the ceiling of my room, but the idea of going to bed, having a good night’s sleep and waking up 500 miles away just seems magical. Like a time machine.

trashpony, a_chap and Lupa like this.
  30. neonwilderness

neonwilderness What would Badgers do?

The West Highland sleeper going north is the best one for this. A few drinks in the buffet and an early night. Then up at a reasonable time for breakfast and to enjoy the scenery over Rannoch Moor :cool:

A380 likes this.