How to buy a second hand car?

Discussion in 'transport' started by nick, Jun 26, 2017.

1. dessiato

dessiato Ua Mau ke Ea o ka ʻĀina i ka Pono

Leather jackets, trousers, sofas, chairs, fetish wear...

ViolentPanda likes this.
  2. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Experience, dear boy. Experience.

existentialist and dessiato like this.
  3. OzT

OzT Online early mornings when at work ....

Yes it's just one noise. Realized when I start off and get chance to go above 3,000 revs in 2nd for a second or so, the noise abates, so hopefully it's a top end noise, not a big end :)

Too heavy a noise I think for a tappet.

4. existentialist

existentialist THr3e ᵈAʸs tᵒ FʳᵉeᵈOᵐ

If that engine has a cam chain rather than a cam belt, I'd say it's very possible it's that. And Honda have a good track record on rattly timing chains, going right back to the 400/4 motorcycle :D

5. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Riding a Brompton with a power meter.

Almost all Hondas have a belts. Just the K20/K24 motor has a chain.

existentialist likes this.
  6. polly

polly Well-Known Member

I badly want one of these but on one knows what I'm talking about :D

Is this a good thread for asking for advice with second hand cars? I have to get mine (very old Saxo, first car) serviced. There are a few other things I need, eg the auto transmission fluid drained and replaced, new rear tyres plus spare.

How do people find mechanics? I know this is proper basic but I don't really know where to start. My husband has had some recommended for his car but they've turned out to be shit. I was thinking of trying Halfords....?

7. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

I think the best way to find good and low cost mechanics is to visit your local taxi rank and ask the taxi drivers who they use? They aren't stupid, they don't like paying above the odds but they need their cars to be reliable. Hence who they use is likely to be a good bet.

8. polly

polly Well-Known Member

Thanks weltweit - I've got a feeling they'll think I'm a proper weirdo if I do that though :hmm::D How do people find mechanics, seriously?? I've asked my local friends and they've come up with fuck all.

9. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Riding a Brompton with a power meter.

They are all capable of being incompetent charlatans on any given day. Pick an independent at random that looks legit (no chopped up cars out front) and can speak good English.

polly likes this.
  10. existentialist

existentialist THr3e ᵈAʸs tᵒ FʳᵉeᵈOᵐ

My preferred garage has its fair share of chopped up cars out front, and they are both reasonably priced and excellent on service.

11. polly

polly Well-Known Member

Ok thanks. I suppose that's reassuring! There are tons here but the 'looks legit' criterion should narrow it down a lot.

I had planned on taking it to the Citroën place but I'm told that that's what idiots do...

12. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Any main dealer will charge top dollar for servicing a car regardless of age and value.
    im sure there must be recommendations online.

polly likes this.
  13. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

My son is 19 and still a little shy, he just refused to ask someone in Morrisons where the Parmesan was, he waited for his old dad to do it.

I doubt once you explained what you were after they would think you a weirdo, I think they would be complimented that you were asking for the benefit of their experience.

:)

I have recently realised where my nearest taxi rank is and shall be asking them soon. :)

polly likes this.
  14. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

Someone recommended my garage to me, I can’t even remember who. I’ve used loads but it was the first one I felt comfortable and confident I wasn’t being ripped off. They know I’m fairly clueless about cars but they don’t take advantage.

They’ve got some silly Sheila’s Wheels award for not being dicks to women. I have no idea how they got it, maybe someone nominated them, but it’s true. They didn’t even say I told you so after the car the owner told me not to buy, went wrong.

polly and A380 like this.
  15. Libertad

Libertad Would it help?

I could crochet one for you.

polly likes this.
  16. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

17. polly

polly Well-Known Member

:eek: Don't toy with me :D

Thanks hash tag - I'm a bit dubious of online reviews because I'm in a small town where everyone is family or mates, but that looks good.

Libertad likes this.
  18. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Independent and will cover many bases for you. :thumbs:

19. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

This I'm not so sure about. I've had wankers wax lyrical but can't read a service bulletin and had wonderful service from a Ukrainian whose command of English was minimal but regarded detail as a necessity, not an option.

20. polly

polly Well-Known Member

I've booked it in at the local Bosch Car Service Centre :eek: I reckon for its first service I'll treat it nice (especially as I don't seem to have a service history) and then move onto the shadier side of the industry once we're past the honeymoon period.

Cheers all.

A380 and hash tag like this.
  21. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

BOSH! Sorted :D

Riklet, A380 and polly like this.
  22. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Hi polly, just wondering, did you get serviced yet; how did it go? Were the people at the service suitably patronising, did they rip you off or did it all go well?

polly likes this.
  23. polly

polly Well-Known Member

Oh hi :) Thanks for asking. No I'm just about to take it round in a couple of hours so they can start it from cold in the morning and monitor it's beautiful morning song :D (aka transmission whine) I'll keep you abreast of developments :thumbs:

hash tag likes this.
  24. polly

polly Well-Known Member

Your Honest John recommendation was a solid one :thumbs: The service centre were brilliant! They said the whine is just an old car noise. It didn't need anything extra, though they said that because it's old (2001) and has v low mileage (22k), I should clear it all out by driving fast (aggressively accelerating) and braking hard (to clear the shit off the brake discs) :D It's like I intuitively knew what was best for it :hmm: I celebrated by accidentally doing 60 in a 40 (temporary! In my defence) zone on the way home :oops: eta cos I feel like a wanker: it's a long empty stretch that is normally 60 but is 40 at the moment because of construction vehicles, which had all gone home. Luckily :oops:

25. blairsh

blairsh Kip

I may have to get myself a new banger soon as my current ride is a bit fucked, so need to keep this thread alive :thumbs:

Been looking at an MX-5 for the next one, got somewhere between 1.5/2k (max) seems to be bit of choice out there (especally this time of year) anyone here know much about them or have any advice? Got a mate who is an engineer/all round petrolhead who has had a few which he's done lots of homemade upgrades on, so scope for cheap fixes :oops:

polly likes this.
  26. Riklet

Riklet procrastinación

This might be useful, watched it a while back.

blairsh likes this.
  27. Poi E

Rust. Inner and outer sills, rear arches, subframe, box sections underneath. Panels and parts cheap.

I've got a 2003 MX5 engine and box in a project car and the combo has taken loads of abuse on the track.

blairsh likes this.
  28. Poi E

One of the greatest cars of the last 30 years IMHO.