How to buy a second hand car?

Discussion in 'transport' started by nick, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

Not sure about your fiat but my Peugeot has a semi-automatic gearbox and it can feel a little bit clunky on gear changes sometimes. Mine has hill assist so I don’t roll back. I don’t think I’d ever go back to manual, autos are so easy.
    I’ve never used the manual option, after a few months of driving an auto it was amazing how I completely forgot I ever needed to change gear.

bimble likes this.
  2. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Thanks Looby. Yep, I know what you mean about clunky gear changes, like the car is confused for a moment trying to make its mind up? I've learnt from the fiat forums that 'hill assist' is really helpful with these gearboxes but don't think my car has it (didn't come as standard until later or something). The hill thing is a bit frightening tbh but will figure it out, how to use the car and how it differs from the car I learnt in.

Looby likes this.
  3. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

I went from a Corsa to a Golf, reverse is different in a Golf, took me a while to work it out :oops:

4. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

You’ll get used to it so quickly, honestly.

marty21 and bimble like this.
  5. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

I have never driven an automatic, all my cars (3) have been manual .

6. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

I love it! I never wanted an auto but my old beer injury meant that it was agony to use my clutch a lot of the time so I changed my car last year.

marty21 and bimble like this.
  7. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Borrowing other people's cars, the most difficult things I found was releasing the foot operated parking break in a Saab or maybe a Merc and turning off the horrible heated seats in a high spec Volvo.

8. Mattym

Mattym Well-Known Member

On my last Golf it was in the driver's side compartment. So when I bought the latest Golf, the salesman looked at me gone out, when I asked where the petrol cap button was. His reply along the lines of 'I think technology has caught up'!!! Made me feel like Fred Dibnah.

marty21 likes this.
  9. blairsh

blairsh Moor on

The foot operated parking brake will be a Merc.

Also my second Volvo was a 'high spec' model with heated leather seats and they were indeed fucking shite. The one i had with standard cloth trim (with leather patches in places) was, however a very comfy place to sit :thumbs:

10. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

I had a similar moment a few years back when i got a petrol engined loan car when (diesel) puddymobile was in for servicing. i asked where the choke was

:facepaw:

Mattym and marty21 like this.
  11. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

You're reminding me of old American cars, where they put the switch for the high beams where the clutch pedal should be. And, bizarrely enough, above that (because the highs were just a button on the floorpan) was the parking brake pedal. Placed high enough you couldn't confuse it for a clutch or push it accidentally. Not that most Americans have ever seen or used a clutch.

Seen here.

12. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

It wasn't just American cars that had high beam on the floor, British cars did it - Triumphs had em, I think.

13. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

Did the clutch not get in the way then?

I was actually looking into it, and the claimed reason they stopped doing it is that transverse engine mounts for FWD cars allowed them to move the passenger cage a bit closer to the front of the car. But then the wheel wells intruded into the space where you would put that button, so it moved to the stalk. Added bonus of that's where all those fancy European imports had put it for years.

14. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

There's room for a footrest in most cars so plenty of space to accommodate it. Way before my time, but I understand that it made changing gear and dipping your lights at the same time very difficult or impossible.

15. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

Not so much in a LHD car.

16. bimble

bimble noisy but small

I just spent ages trying to park that tiny car, not even parallel just normal parking, fiddling about backward and forward twirling the wheel every way trying to get it to go in a straight line. Hopefully just having an off day because that was seriously bad. :facepalm::(

kebabking likes this.
  17. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

Do you have a driveway or parking space or will you parking on the road?

Basically parallel parking is just practice, people who park on the street get dead good dead quickly. Others (like me) have a parking space so don't use the skill as much so when called upon to do it find we're not that great at it. This is where rear view cameras and parking sensors come into their own.

18. bimble

bimble noisy but small

It's just street parking (with residents permit). There's always a space somewhere not far down the road from my flat but i am going to need to practice a lot, that just now was embarrassing and probably a bit dangerous as well.

19. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

You did of course try revering into the space, rather than forwards?

20. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Nope. You mean parallel park right? It was a space near the corner with another car parked just in front and nobody behind, so .. should I have parallel/reversed instead of just trying to nose in there ?
    :confused:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  21. dessiato

dessiato Looking for my shopping trolley

I find, in tighter spots, it's easier to go in backwards. Despite having done rally, saloon car racing, advanced, and police driving training, I can't park. It's embarrassing. I passed my test 45 years ago. I just cannot park. I, therefore, always look for a space I can drive into, or through.

bimble likes this.
  22. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

Ah, don't worry you'll be an expert in no time.

Generally reversing in is much easier because the front wheels do the steering. If you're going in front ways you'll probably have to ramp it onto the pavement at some point to get the angle. Of course if you enter onto the pavement for just a moment you will instantly become worse than Hitler in the eyes of the urban bicycle / pedestrian mafia.

bimble likes this.
  23. bimble

bimble noisy but small

I think i get it - not the why of it but that backing into a space behind a car instead of trying to get in forwards is - apparently - easier. Because you get more of a sharp turn when you're in reverse? Its all still a bit of a mystery tbh.

marty21 and dessiato like this.
  24. bimble

bimble noisy but small

25. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

Going in backwards is always easier than frontwards. As someone said, going in frontwards will entail ramping the pavement, it’s the only way to get the angle.

I’m one of these annoying twats who always reverse park, whatever the space. Have to be ready for a quick getaway.

hash tag and bimble like this.
  26. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

If you get a chance, you can practice parking in empty car parks - I also found industrial estates at the weekend to be a superb place to practice reversing around corners, which will help with reverse parking.

My car is at least twice the length of yours, If I reverse park I can get it into far smaller space than if I try it forwards...

Bahnhof Strasse and bimble like this.
  27. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Free the Sepsis Six!

Just spent 5 days driving an Aygo. Nippy little thing, but the quality of the build, the bodywork feels like its made from crepe paper. And the any keys on your key-ring dig in to your leg. Single wiper-blade for the front window :cool:

kebabking likes this.
  28. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Free the Sepsis Six!

I always go in forward in a car park. If I pull up behind a reverse parker I always park proper nose-to-tail, so they have to pull out to get their shopping in. I am such a pathetic wanker.

kebabking likes this.
  29. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

I really don’t get why people reverse into supermarket spaces and then fanny around trying to get their shopping in the boot. Then there’s the worst kind of cunt who takes the trolley down between the cars. Someone did that not realising I was sat in the car whilst they were scraping the trolley down my car.

30. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

I do this ridiculous thing whereby I put the trolley at the front of my car and then, with the use of my legs, walk the bags the three yards or so back to my boot. Crazy I know.

I really don’t get why people go forward into a space, often parking over the lines at an angle, and then fanny around inching precariously back out unable to see what’s coming. And I’m willing to bet I can reverse into a space a lot quicker than you (or anyone) can safely reverse out of it.

Each to their own.

hash tag likes this.