How to buy a second hand car?

Discussion in 'transport' started by nick, Jun 26, 2017.

1. OzT

OzT Online early mornings when at work ....

It will be written on the side of each pump

dessiato likes this.
  2. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

She's probably not asked about the octane ratings of their fuels every day, tbf. :D

Bahnhof Strasse and bimble like this.
  3. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

This is one that you can trust us on.

Chz, kebabking, dessiato and 3 others like this.
  4. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Local mechanic is bloody lovely. He’s having a look at her now, even though it’s his birthday.

UnderAnOpenSky, kebabking and marty21 like this.
  5. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

This is one of the advantages of being female.

kebabking likes this.
  6. bimble

bimble noisy but small

To be fair before I found him chatted to two others who treated me with ..the downsides of femaleness.

kebabking and Spymaster like this.
  7. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

All this petrol stuff is part and parcel of the learning curve that comes with getting a car.

When I bought my car, it was raining. I pulled over to read the handbook because I couldn't figure out how to activate the rear wiper.

There is no rear wiper on a saloon car.

I learnt this when I got out and looked at it.

--

Similarly, I once hired a van. I spent ages blocking up the petrol station looking for the fuel flap release. There was no fuel flap release - the flap was held in place by the closed passenger door.

8. existentialist

existentialist Danced on by a twerking bee

Because she's an idiot. "You only had one job..." :rolleyes: :D

9. existentialist

existentialist Danced on by a twerking bee

NOBODY makes (or sells) 90 RON fuel. It wouldn't be BS approved, and nobody'd want to buy it.

Chz, kebabking and bimble like this.
  10. dessiato

dessiato Mele Kalikimaka hauʻoli hou makahiki

We've all been there.

I once spent ages trying to work out how the wipers kept coming on when I wasn't touching the switch...automatic wipers.

Same car had automatic lights, again loads of confusion for a minute or two when they came on, then turned off, as we drove through a short tunnel.

kebabking likes this.
  11. dessiato

dessiato Mele Kalikimaka hauʻoli hou makahiki

Just thought of another time I had problems. I was in a mate's Fulvia S3 Rally. Dog leg first and very snappy clutch. Took ten minutes to get off a forecourt.

And the time I couldn't get reverse on a girlfriend's Peugeot. I had to ask someone where it was.

We should start a thread.

kebabking likes this.
  12. bimble

bimble noisy but small

All this stuff is really comforting thanks, makes me feel there's nothing shameful about wanting to just sit stationary for an hour or so later playing with the buttons and toggles seeing what they all do.
    At some point i'm going to have to get on with work and open some of the emails that have been ignored since the onset of car-fever. :(

13. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

First time I filled up the Golf, I couldn't work out how to get the petrol tank cap off :oops: had to ring my sister who used to have a Golf :oops: (there is a button with a petrol pump symbol on it by the handbrake:facepalm:)

trabuquera, dessiato and kebabking like this.
  14. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

I spent a while wondering where the handbrake was when I first drove a Merc.

15. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

When my car rolled back into an Audi last summer, I knew where the handbrake was, it didn't seem to stop the car though :facepalm: luckily only the Audi was damaged :cool:

OzT, hash tag, dessiato and 2 others like this.
  16. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

When I bought my current car I couldn't work out how to open the filler flap, so I flapped about for 10 minutes with a massive queue behind me, pressing every button, looking in the glove box etc...

It turn out you just push the flap, and it pops out.

Poi E, marty21, bimble and 3 others like this.
  17. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

My mrs had never used the highs on her old Micra before. So we were out in rural Wales somewhere the first time and she was pulling, pushing, and flicking everything on the steering column until she found it. Then a copper pulled her over to make sure it wasn't a cry for help! :D I've only recently stopped mocking her over it.

kebabking likes this.
  18. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Do have a fairly serious question but not sure if anyone here will know the answers..
    My car's 'duologic' gearbox looks like this.
    Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 12.37.06.png
    It's (from googling) called a 'robotised manual', a particular sort of semi-auto.
    I am definitely allowed to use the car on my auto license, because there's no clutch pedal and there is a fully auto setting which i've been using all the time so far.
    Thing is it is different in many ways from the standard auto i learnt to drive in. No 'D' and no 'P' either.
    Main thing I'm aware of so far is that when starting on a hill it does feel like it rolls back, like a manual would. I think i may need to handbrake on hills.
    Has anyone .. like mauvais - got experience with these particular gearboxes?

19. mauvais

I don't know anything about the specific gearbox in the 500, but I do know what a robotised manual is. Alfa had one called 'Selespeed'. You will need to use the handbrake.

bimble likes this.
  20. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Will chat to my driving instructor about it.

21. mauvais

Basically it manages the clutch and gear selection for you, nothing more.

Full autos are mechanically quite different and behave differently too; in particular they creep forward when not depressing the brake, whereas yours requires throttle to go anywhere.

You're allowed to drive the car in 'manual' mode too (+/-), in case there was any doubt. The lack of clutch pedal is what makes it an 'auto' in licence terms.

kebabking and bimble like this.
  22. bimble

bimble noisy but small

The mechanic checked her over and he said its all good, she has a good new cam-belt and no issues came up when he ran the computer diagnostics thing. :)

Poi E likes this.
  23. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

The first time I parked nose first in a Vauxhall I couldn't work out how to select reverse!

dessiato and kebabking like this.
  24. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

You sure? I remember a girl saying that to me once ;)

kebabking likes this.
  25. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

bimble as a treat for your baby, some eyelashes CarLashes

There are several online ownership forums which you may find very helpful and you might even find runs and days out Fiat Owners Club | Fiat Owners Club welcomes both Fiat Owners and Enthusiasts

Shampoo. Try Detailing World - A world for detailers by detailers.

Seriously, get to know your car and where all the controls are. Does she have a spare wheel (speed restricted thing maybe)? Or run flat tyres or some awful gunk you put in them to get you home? Talking of which, breakdown cover?

Is there a thread for naming her yet?

bimble likes this.
  26. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Will come back to all that proper stuff. no lashes for me but there may already be a small nodding tiger on its way in the post :D

27. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat for the workers' breakfast

certainly no harm in tracking them down. i reluctantly (following theft and writing off of the previous puddymobile which i'd had 20 years) entered the current century of motoring less than a year ago and found a forum dedicated to the make/ model quite useful for a few 'what the heck does this bit do / how the heck do you do this' sort of things.

bimble likes this.
  28. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat for the workers' breakfast

[​IMG]

?

29. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 18.51.20.png
    :oops:

Yep been reading about the gearbox on the fiat forums, its helpful.

fishfinger likes this.
  30. bimble

bimble noisy but small

fishfinger likes this.