How to buy a second hand car?

Discussion in 'transport' started by nick, Jun 26, 2017.

1. bimble

bimble noisy but small

No i have got the owner handbook - and a separate 'sound system' leaflet , but no code in there i don't think. Music can wait a while though no problem.

Spymaster likes this.
  2. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

If you pulled the radio out and got the serial number off the back of it, someone on the internet (fiatforum are helpful) could turn it into a code. But since that's probably unlikely, you might need to call a dealer.

3. dessiato

dessiato Maholo e ke akua no kei la

My first drive after passing my test was through Grimsby. I got out of the driving school car and into one I'd prepared earlier, a Vauxhall Victor. I got stopped for speeding. Noticing I'd only had my licence a matter of minutes the officer gave me a major telling off and let me go.

Poi E and hash tag like this.
  4. dessiato

If it was working when you bought it you'll not need the code unless you disconnect the radio.

5. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

I don't know why they bother with codes anymore. Nobody nicks the stereos that are built into cars.

mauvais likes this.
  6. OzT

OzT Online early mornings when at work ....

Sorry bimble, have you already mentioned it and I didn't see? But where is your weekend road trip going to be to?

7. mauvais

If you have a pair of magic prongs:

[​IMG]
    Then you prise off the radio button blanks with a suitable implement:

[​IMG]

and stick the prongs in the holes behind, then the radio pops out. Then you write down all the codes and post here, with a little donation:

Technical: lost radio code card! please help me! - The FIAT Forum

They give you a code and you enter it, sorted.

8. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Don't know yet! and stupidly i can't do much this next week as will be away for a few days from 11th without the car. :(

9. bimble

bimble noisy but small

mauvais am a bit daunted by this but will look into it and see if i reckon i can safely do the things with those prongs. I don't have a great history with successfully completed DIY.
    Radio code was lost a couple of years ago according to the seller when the battery was disconnected from the car for some reason.

10. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Oh. I thought they were missing, hence the reason why he set the bluetooth up for you. I wouldn't mess about then. For the sake of a couple of pounds I'd just get one online. You seriously don't want to piss about pulling the unit out of the dash :D

dessiato likes this.
  11. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Don't. He wasn't being serious. :facepalm:

dessiato likes this.
  12. bimble

bimble noisy but small

I thought that with the online codes you have to pull the radio out ? Will study this..
    eg) Fiat Radio Codes | Online Fiat Radio Decoding Service

13. OzT

Here's an idea. I think you're SE London? Get the A22, pick it up off the M25 if you like, head south till the A27, then head west towards Worthing, then up on A24 towards London. I think that will be a nice circular route and you can stop off in heapsa villages and garden centres for a coffee, or pop off the A27 to seaside towns.

14. bimble

bimble noisy but small

^ not ready for anything starting with M just yet. I want one more driving lesson with my teacher for that (have asked him to arrange a time).

15. OzT

The M is optional, just easier. Else you can do the A21 towards Hastings if that's nearer you then west on A259 to the A27. I think they're nice easy drive country roads but not narrow

bimble likes this.
  16. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

17. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Its not anywhere i can see. The leaflet is just a how to use guide. It mentions a 'code card' that certifies ownership of the car radio, seems that's what I'm
    missing.

18. mauvais

Sure I am, it's one of the easiest jobs on a car. Depends whether the dealer wants to charge a fortune or not though.

I might have some prongs that I could post you but they're only a fiver anyway.

19. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Yes, that’s where all you need would have been. Mauvais is right then, you’ll need to pop the radio or go to a dealer. Your mechanic around the corner might well be able to do it for you. It’s not difficult but you can end up snapping plastic bits off the radio if you’re not careful.

mauvais likes this.
  20. dessiato

If the radio is currently working DON'T pull it out and disconnect it. You only need the code after it has been disconnected, or the battery is disconnected.

21. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Oh crap I just drove to nearest petrol station but they don’t have super unleaded which is what I think I need. Will be ok to go home charge phone & go later I think on reserve tank.

22. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Regular unleaded fuel in your car is absolutely fine.

existentialist likes this.
  23. bimble

bimble noisy but small

:mad: You sure? Just drove home again.. Owners Manual says "use unleaded only with octane number not lower than 95'. Woman at petrol station said hers was 90 and i'd need to go to shell or bp. That felt like a mini-adventure in itself and its only round the corner. :oops:

hash tag likes this.
  24. bimble

bimble noisy but small

No it doesn't work it just says 'enter code'.

The very nice mechanic bloke said he'd give her a quick look this morning even though his waiting list for services is 3 weeks. Will ask his advice.

25. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

She doesn't know what she's talking about. Regular unleaded is 95. You should use the cheapest unleaded option at any petrol station that you go to. You won't harm the car by filling it with a super premium fuel but you won't get any benefit from it either.

26. OzT

https://www.petrolprices.com/about-fuel.html

Ordinary unleaded – 95 RON. Super unleaded – 98 RON.

and

Ultimate Unleaded has a higher octane (97 RON minimum) than the minimum 95 RON required by law for petrol in the UK

So Spymaster is correct. I also checked on a few Fiat sites and they said 95 RON.

27. bimble

bimble noisy but small

AArgh. So why did the woman at my local petrol station say hers was only 90 of whatever it is and i'd need to go elsewhere?
    :confused:

28. UnderAnOpenSky

Indeed. Regular is 95 and the expensive stuff 97. There is no point putting 97 in a Fiat 500.

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  29. UnderAnOpenSky

She's wrong.

30. bimble

bimble noisy but small

the website of the local petrol place does suggest its standard unleaded is 95. is there any way i can check for certain that she was mistaken?
    JET Fuels - Jet Local