How to buy a second hand car?

Discussion in 'transport' started by nick, Jun 26, 2017.

1. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Will be scouring maps. Maybe the nearest seaside. Just now went round the block and reparked (in a straight line) for fun.

2. 8115

8115 sitting down is bad for you

Don't post and drive at the same time, you'll feel a lot safer.

3. Boudicca

Boudicca Seaside Queen

My first long trip was up the A12 to Frinton-on-Sea. I can't really recommend Frinton, but the A12 is a nice long but easy drive. Once you get to it...

You are also welcome in Bournemouth, I have plenty of space for visitors this time of year.

bimble likes this.
  4. bimble

bimble noisy but small

5. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Isn't it amazing how people see things in a different light. The only joy we ever took from the A12 was having a competition about which side had the most abandoned cars :D For us. It was a grim road.

6. existentialist

existentialist Running out of ways it could get worse

You are a little angel, Spymaster ;)

7. dessiato

dessiato Maholo e ke akua no kei la

So what are we going to discuss and argue about next? There must be something.

8. OzT

OzT Online early mornings when at work ....

Well what car shampoo for bimble's car, or what interior accessories? :)

9. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

Driving standards. Going to the dogs, I hear.

bimble likes this.
  10. Poi E

Maybe essential advice first. Never use a silicone product on your car. The shit never comes off when it's time to paint.

11. existentialist

[​IMG]

hash tag, bimble, Libertad and 2 others like this.
  12. OzT

You forgot the nodding poodle for the back parcel shelf, they only come complete as a set with the dices . . . .

bimble and existentialist like this.
  13. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Car’s still there! (Looking out the window to gaze at it for the107th time) :)
    Seriously might I want one of those yellow steering wheel lock things?

Libertad likes this.
  14. existentialist

I wouldn't bother - they might have been useful when car security was shit, but it's usually a lot better these days. If the car doesn't have an alarm it might be worth getting one fitted, though.

bimble likes this.
  15. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

They're both a waste of time. If you want to steal a car you steal the key, and if you want to steal the contents then you don't care about the alarm.

Poi E and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  16. bimble

bimble noisy but small

OK. Hopefully I'll stop looking out to check on it in a couple of days. Am going to try not to fill the car with plastic flowers and nodding kittens but it's an effort not to interior decorate already. :facepalm:

Libertad likes this.
  17. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

If anyone wants to nick that one they’ll just stick it in their pocket! ;)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    Libertad, existentialist, OzT and 2 others like this.
  18. bimble

bimble noisy but small

IMG_6401_1.JPG Did I mention how immaculate her upholstery is at 9 years old?

19. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

By the way, you don’t need an aux in. Your phone is already connected to the car via Bluetooth. That’s what the bloke did when we picked it up. You’ll be able to play any music on your phone using the controls on the steering wheel. Get used to driving without music for a while first though.

UnderAnOpenSky and bimble like this.
  20. bimble

bimble noisy but small

What i do need is a radio code, if I want to use the radio & cd player (which i will want to do). Would you:
    a) go to the fiat dealership in Catford and ask them to sort that out or
    b) download a code from one of the websites offering this for a few quid?

21. Poi E

(c) must be free codes somewhere

Get some Liquid Leather cleaner and conditioner. Great, gentle stuff.

22. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Seats are fabric not leather but sadly i can see myself gently shampooing her cream leather steering wheel on sunday mornings.

marty21 and Poi E like this.
  23. dessiato

24. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

You don’t need to go to a dealer they can do it over the phone. Otherwise there are loads of online places that’ll give you a code for a few quid.

I’d have thought you’d seen enough of Catford for a while.

bimble likes this.
  25. bimble

bimble noisy but small

dessiato likes this.
  26. Poi E

How comfortable are the seats? I hired one of those on holiday in Italy years back and all I can remember is how I had to ask a local how to open the filler cap. Had me and my wife mystified.

27. bimble

bimble noisy but small

The seat feels really good, seems to sort of hold your back nicely and the seat-pad is adjustable up which i like. Back seats probably not great unless you've a compact person.
    Going to attempt first petrol station today (the petrol is low light was on all the way home yesterday).

28. dessiato

Just check the radio manual, code is often in there, or on a credit card sized card in the owners manual/radio manual wallet.

Spymaster and bimble like this.
  29. OzT

I take it you have gone thru the booklets you may have got with the car? Normally there's a seperate one for the radio and people often put the code in that. Or even in the car service booklet. Look thru them all first and in the glove box or door pockets etc for bits of paper maube with the code on it?

30. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

It’s not in there. The manuals didn’t come with the car. Just the service book.

dessiato likes this.