1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How rubbish is this idea to replace the league cup?

Discussion in 'football' started by Slo-mo, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Well-Known Member

I do realise this is little more than Fantasy football but since no one much cares about the league cup,what about replacing it with a UK wide competition ? Featuring the 44 teams from the English/Welsh Premiership and Championship, the 22 teams from the top two Scottish leagues, the top six teams from NI and two extra places for the two highest placed Welsh teams outside the top two divisions?

Would such a thing work? Barmy idea?

2. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

Yes it's barmy.

British football associations are very protective of their separation.

They wouldn't want to give uefa or FIFA any excuse / ammunition to say you can't have 4 associations entering our competitions, only one UK one.

Badgers and Slo-mo like this.
  3. S☼I

S☼I a chord and a pedal and a lock

Maybe the finances for some of the smaller teams (not least the fans), esp. those in Northern Scotland or NI would be tested by trips to say Gillingham or Southend.

Slo-mo and sealion like this.
  4. sealion

sealion Marilise Legijuana

It wouldn't be much fun for fans having to travel hundreds of miles on a Tuesday/Wednesady night to watch a reserve team. There would be plenty of punch ups involving English and Scottish teams and a massive policing bill for the clubs involved.

Slo-mo likes this.
  5. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

What is this ‘English/Welsh Premiership’ if which you speak?

Slo-mo likes this.
  6. strung out

strung out (",)

What you've failed to spot is that Slo-mo has excluded teams like Gillingham and Southend from this competition, thus depriving lower league clubs of one of the few opportunities for a decent payday against a bigger club. Cheers then.

Slo-mo likes this.
  7. PippinTook

PippinTook Well-Known Member

8. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Well-Known Member

This idea clearly has much potential :D

9. S☼I

S☼I a chord and a pedal and a lock

Bournemouth, then :D

Slo-mo likes this.
  10. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Well-Known Member

I actually didn't make this idea up out of thin air, I was thinking of rugby where they have a similar British and Irish competition .

11. bromley

bromley ...isn't as good as Lewisham.

Has someone edited the thread title?! :D

12. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Well-Known Member

:D

No, I did realise if it was a good idea, someone somewhere would likely have come up with it earlier.

13. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

Why only include top 44 teams from prem and championship? there is more of an argument for omitting them! The smaller clubs n lower leagues depend on the extra revenue that the cup brings in, Newport for exams have basically ensured there financial stability for the next few years from their run this year!

Crazy idea all round for reasons stated already!

Slo-mo likes this.
  14. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

There was an Anglo-Scottish cup in the 70s , it wasn't very successful, the bigger clubs couldn't be arsed.

15. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

Cross-border barminess you say?

Texaco Cup - Wikipedia

Though I preferred the Watney Cup.

...with its penchant for throwing up odd rules and firsts.

Watney Cup - Wikipedia

16. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

I see your Watney Cup and raise you the Full Members Cup

Full Members' Cup - Wikipedia

Though it was known as the Simod Cup when won by the mighty Reading FC in 1988.
    We got relegated that year, so couldn't even defend it the following season.

The whole "third competition" thing should be dropped IMHO. No-one is interested till the later rounds, and it's a lottery as to which small clubs get a decent pay-day.