How much do you need to spend for a used automatic hatchback that just needs to work?

Discussion in 'transport' started by George & Bill, Aug 10, 2018.

1. George & Bill

George & Bill semiotically superfluous

Pretty much as it says – it needs to be auto so my stepdad can drive it with his sometimes-gammy left foot.

I'm a new driver and have no idea about any of this, so thanks for any and all thoughts :)

Edit to add a bit more info: This would be a car for occasional spins out of London, and maybe a few long drives down onto the continent each year. But most of its days it would spend idle.

2. dessiato

dessiato Mele Kalikimaka hauʻoli hou makahiki

That's very much a how long's a piece of string question. What's your budget? What size do you need? How many doors do you want?/need?

3. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

All cars work until they suddenly don't.

Poi E, Bahnhof Strasse and dessiato like this.
  4. dessiato

5. ricbake

ricbake working out how

6. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

In return for a (unspecified) donation to charity, Mrs tag gave her 20 year old micra away for nowt. A good, reliable Runner. Not even an advisory on the mots and started first time every time.

SpookyFrank likes this.
  7. George & Bill

Absolutely no specific requirements beyond the fact that it goes and can be reasonably relied on to probably continue doing so for some time to come.

8. mojo pixy

mojo pixy unquantifiable hazards

£500-£1500 depending on condition, mileage and likelihood of passing next MOT. Recommended makes for price - Fords (Focus is always good value), Vauxhall (don't like 'em but there are loads around so plenty do), Renault, Citroen (personally for me Citroen over Renault because they look nicer, though the old Megane gets an honourable mention from me for its look). Also you can still pick up a 1990s Toyota for way less than a grand, and they go on and on and on.

Get on to Autotrader, that site is the greatest.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    High Voltage likes this.
  9. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank We kill the flame

mauvais and Fez909 like this.
  10. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank We kill the flame

They just don't die. Particularly the late 90's, early 00's models. I'm gonna get one when my poor old golf finally pegs it.

11. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Thats all very well, but she was late 80's! :D

Something which people have not picked up on is what type of automatic; I understand some are more prone to faults than others?

12. George & Bill

craigxcraig and SpookyFrank like this.
  13. George & Bill

Thanks for a sensible post, much appreciated! I was just after a ballpark figure to see whether the general idea of having a basic car sitting around for occasional use is viable. Sounds like it should be OK :)

mojo pixy likes this.
  14. dessiato

Next time I'll read the advert properly.

George & Bill likes this.
  15. George & Bill

Sorry, I shouldn't sound too bitter – I appreciate the input. I realise that my OP could have sounded like 'what's the absolute bare minimum I could get a working motor for' – and so it was a nice thought to look for bargains for me ;)

dessiato likes this.
  16. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

George & Bill likes this.