How many more restaurants and bars can Brixton take?

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Sep 10, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Off the top of my head, I can think of THREE more licensed restaurants coming into Brixton soon.

View attachment 146622
    There's two coming on Acre Lane in the place next to the nu-Town Hall, and another one in the old Walton Laundry - and I'm sure there's loads more on the way too.

As for bars, we've got the hideous Brewdog coming into Coldharbour Lane for starters. Anyone know any more?

And can Brixton really keep up this relentless growth of upmarket bars and restaurants catering to the well-heeled crowd? And what impact will this have on the long-established, poorer community who can't afford £7 a pint or go eating out in posh/trendy eatieries ?

Gramsci likes this.
  2. Aristocrat

Aristocrat Stop me b4 I do it again

It's bewildering. And, it's increasingly monocultural. Between the hours of 9am and 6pm each day, central Brixton will become less and less vibrant as traditional shops are turned into bars with minimal footfall at those hours. Very short term planning strategy by the council. What does Brixton BID have to say?

Gramsci, editor and Pickman's model like this.
  3. SpamMisery

SpamMisery Pretty comfortable here right under your skin Banned

Impressive lurking! A virgin post after 13 years of silence

NGG, marty21, Aristocrat and 2 others like this.
  4. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Your point being?

If someone lurks here and finally posts up is that an issue for you?

editor likes this.
  5. Gramsci

Sorry ignore Spam. He is a wind up merchant.

Do please post up your opinions on this forum.

editor and Aristocrat like this.
  6. Gramsci

As you say in your profile:

Just go away please and stop bothering new posters.

7. Aristocrat

Aristocrat Stop me b4 I do it again

You stole my profile pic.

Gramsci likes this.
  8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The Hop Hop Chip Shop is a good case in point. Totally pointless 'restaurant' in the day barely troubled by customers (when it can be arsed to open) but come the evening and the DJ vibrancy goes up to 11.

Oh and Spam Misery is now banned from this thread.

Gramsci likes this.
  9. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

and brings in global talent to a very small venue. Well supported by Reclaim Brixton members too.

alcopop likes this.
  10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Not sure what that has to do with the point about the impact these club/restaurants have on the daytime economy.

11. Gramsci

It was office space for BCA. When they moved change of use was obtained to change it to A3. This was opposed.

The restaurant use as fish and chip shop was abysmal failure. As it had A3 category owners kept business afloat by late night bar.

Not all residents were happy about this.

The whole sorry episide of what happened to this office space is why I think "Sleepless in Brixton" have a point.

Office space gets change of use to A3 as restaurant. Restaurant is rubbish. Business owners realise A3 category means they can run it as late night bar. Selling alcohol is easier than making fish and chips that are any good.

As ex resident of central Brixton the Hip hop chip place is example of how planning categories let residents down.

The change of use was not for a "venue".

billythefish, Aristocrat and editor like this.
  12. organicpanda

organicpanda cat herder extraodinaire

heard a rumour that there are plans afoot to build a 2000 people club venue on top of Sports Direct

alcopop likes this.
  13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Gramsci likes this.
  14. DietCokeGirl

DietCokeGirl [Your Ad Here]

I always used to feel sorry for people in Clapham, with that long high street but bearly any useful, day to day shops in easy access. Now Brixton is going the same way. The day Argos turns into a bar, we're fucked.

Gramsci and editor like this.