How many lessons before you passed your driving test

Discussion in 'transport' started by Sunset Tree, Aug 10, 2018.

1. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

The only pulling right I know is when your wheels, tyres or brakes need looking at :confused:

2. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

:D Sorry, we did sat nav instead! Wtf knew that was part of the test :confused:

3. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

I didn't see that coming!
    Hope it went well.

marty21 likes this.
  4. Sunset Tree

Sunset Tree Well-Known Member

Update: I am booked in for a semi-intensive course, 20 hours over 3 weeks.

No idea if I'll be ready to pass after that but it seems a decent start. All I can afford for now anyway.

Much more anxious about this than I thought I'd be. Probably the same anxiety that made me subconsciously put it off for nearly 20 years!

Spymaster and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  5. Sunset Tree

First lesson was this morning.

I was driving around on actual roads with other cars. I was learning the basics: moving off and stopping. But was also going round corners, and changing gear (only up to 2nd). I am decent at going round corners. Could be a bit smoother with the accelerating and breaking though. I only stalled once.

It's hard to co-ordinate all the different things you're doing and was occasionally terrifying (especially when other cars were involved) but I have now officially driven a car. And it wasn't a disaster.

6. Spymaster

Spymaster Trigger

:thumbs: Well done.

Whereabouts are you learning?

7. Sunset Tree

Thanks! I am learning in Glasgow. For now my lessons are in a quiet leafy residential area with not much traffic.

Spymaster likes this.
  8. Spymaster

Spymaster Trigger

Good. You'll progress to city driving which will ultimately mean you'll be far less phased at driving in heavy traffic and urban conditions than if you were learning in a rural area.

Sunset Tree likes this.
  9. Sunset Tree

Yeah I thought that. Glasgow seems intimidating to drive in, the volume of traffic and complexity of the road systems. But if I learn here I can drive anywhere.

Spymaster likes this.
  10. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Intimidating it may be but it won't move fast.

11. Sunset Tree

That's true. I always say I don't want to drive at peak times because the traffic is so congested, but at least it's slow, maybe it's not so bad.

12. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

13. Sunset Tree

How did you manage to pass after two lessons? I technically had two lessons today (a double lesson) and can barely do anything.

14. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

I think I had 20 when I was 18 then another 20 about 10 years later but I probably could have got away with less than that.

15. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

1 lesson and one on the morning of my test, which wasn't a lesson, it was the hire of the instructor's car.

16. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

I drove with no papers for years. Then had two lessons and passed.