How is it that Harley manage to escape the noise regs?

Discussion in 'transport' started by weltweit, May 17, 2018.

1. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

How is it that Harley manage to escape the noise regs?

Stock Harleys can be heard miles away, and compared to other makes of motorcycle are way louder, I doubt very much they meet the noise regs, but they continue to be loud.

I am pretty sure it is stock Harleys I am hearing that are loud. I know aftermarket exhausts will make them loud but every Harley I see is loud!

2. Loads of bikes have exhausts that are far too loud and certainly illegal, Old Bill don’t really care and possibly most filth are not aware of where the law lies and how to test it at the roadside. Harley type noises seem deeper so perhaps travel further even though they meet the db requirements?

A380 likes this.
  3. Sweet FA

Sweet FA ✪ Three rounds Lord, in my .44 ✪

They don't escape the regs; they all comply when new.

Anyway:

[​IMG]

pogofish, BristolEcho and Chilli.s like this.
  4. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

They don't, as sold they will all meet whatever requirements they need to.

5. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

Loud pipes frequently wake me/my son up, living by a main road. Some right twats in London. Fuck ‘em.

I reckon there should be a strictly enforced decibel limit on all vehicles after a certain time (e.g.9pm) with confiscation for the second offence.

6. keybored

keybored ㋛̶̶̵̙̜̝̖̝̭̎̀̔̌̕

Preferable.

Dogsauce and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  7. mrs quoad

mrs quoad Well-Known Member

Preferable.

8. dessiato

dessiato Lost in paradise

Toby jug would have had an indisputable answer to this query.

pogofish and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  9. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

Some twat down the road had a harely that was too fucking noisey. He'd rev it for ages on Sunday mornings just to show off that he had a twats bike.

I kept meaning to get up a bit earlier to shove a potato up the pipe - but I was too lazy and he moved on to piss new neighbours off

10. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Surely the second offence occurs immediately after pulling away from being pulled for the first one?

11. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

It's always Harleys and their attention seeking riders. They think people are in awe of their noise. Dickheads.

12. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Riding a Brompton with a power meter.

HDs are perfectly legal on stock pipes. Almost no HD has stock pipes...

People who play loud music are worse.

13. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Banned Banned

No, you would get a defect notice and a certain period of time to make the repair. That's what happened to be the only time I got stopped with a defective vehicle (car)

Although that was twenty years ago now (eek)

14. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Banned Banned

Well there are certainly more of them, at least up here.

But if London has a problem then the cops ought to do something.

Kinda ironic that the congestion charge has encouraged people from cars to noisier and more polluting alternatives in motorcycles. But that ship has sailed.

15. OzT

OzT Online early mornings when at work ....

It is showing off, and as said before depending on stock or after market pipes. I've got a Matchless and a Commando, both with standard exhausts, and I can make both very aggressive sounding if I wish, but at the same time I can make them sound reasonable. They are both deep sounding loud rumbles, but a lot depends on how loud you wantto make them on the road.

Mid you, I do think HDs are a bit of a fashion statement, but each to their own :)

pogofish likes this.
  16. BristolEcho

BristolEcho Well-Known Member

As someone who plays loud music, I massively disagree with this.

HD's dont bother me either to be fair.

BassJunkie likes this.
  17. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

My wife's car sets off alarms. Bloody eBay exhausts.

18. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

IIRC, there is also an issue when it comes to actually prosecuting someone for loud pipes - Which is generally done via a local authority FPN or under the Construction and use regs, which both ultimately end-up in the civil courts and are apparently a pain in the arse for police to deal with - we all know how averse the Police seem to be about getting involved in anything "civil". So more often than not, they don't bother, unless they really want to throw the book at someone or can adequately prove deliberate intent and use other legislation that covers nuisance/annoyance.

I've also heard it said that many forces/authorities set their bar for any action at all at 90dBA for bikes, which is a hell of a lot louder than the prescribed limits (which IIRC vary by capacity from 74-85dBA) as the decibel scale is logarithmic, not linear. VOSA inspectors however might do things differently but they seem sporadic in their enforcement. Personally, the only times I've seen police take an interest in loud pipes in the last decade or more is as part of targeted operations with other agencies in-tow.

I also remember that when the current legislation was being framed, the DoT was asked to justify tp Parliament why they wanted the proposed limits on bikes and replied to the effect of - We need this figure because we often cannot measure motorcycle noise because of the noise from trucks...!

My interest in noise regs - Ex Ducati rider - So I probably have rattled a few windows in my time :oops: :D

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    Slo-mo likes this.
  19. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

Way-back, before the current noise regs came-in, I remember a prosecution for loud pipes being thrown out of court in Aberdeen because the defendant noticed that a police bike parked outside the court had exactly the same make and model of silencer as his supposedly "offending" article and brought this to the attention of the judge.

Bloody Campbell pipes..! :D

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    ddraig and Slo-mo like this.
  20. Griff

Griff Hardly posting anymore

Mine did that the other day when I pulled into an underground car park at 2 mph. :D