1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and love Iron Maiden

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Idris2002, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

That's your response without considering the intricacies?
    Did the Stones invent Blues?

2. mojo pixy

mojo pixy unquantifiable hazards

Helloween copied Judas Priest way way more than they copied Iron Maiden.

3. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

At least you admit they copied Maiden.

4. TruXta

TruXta tired

Who did maiden copy?

5. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Fucking hell. I was listening to Helloween yesterday and noted how much they sounded like Iron Maiden. I didn't do an in depth survey of 80s rock so there's no need to wet yourself about it.

6. mojo pixy

Off the top of my head I can't think of any Helloween tunes that actually remind me of anything specific by IM, but I can think of a few they made that sound like JP. Not to mention the vocal style.

To the extent that just about every metal band ever has copied something from Iron Maiden, Helloween probably did. But nothing stands out tbh.

ETA: I've just listened to Helloween's first EP in the name of research, apart from a general sylistic influence (esp. Victim of Fate) I'm not hearing any great channeling (less still copying) of Iron Maiden in any of the songs.

On the other hand I am hearing some big differences, eg. Call-and-Response choruses (which Iron Maiden never use) and Ingo Schwichtenberg using double kick drums (which as noted upthread, Nicko McBrain has always scorned)

Magnus McGinty, your homework is to have a fresh listen to Stained Class by Judas Priest and report back on the Helloween seeds you hear :D

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  7. mojo pixy

Iron Maiden copied Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, KISS, Alice Cooper. Same as all the other NWOBHM bands did.

Actually 'copied' is rather harsh. But even if they did they made something pretty original with their influences, and went on to be at least as influential themselves.

ETA, I'm being too serious. That's OK, it's a thread about Iron Maiden :thumbs:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  8. billy_bob

billy_bob Flourishing both sides the Tweed

Choosing between the Smiths and Maiden is a bit like trying to decide whether you prefer border collies or mushroom pizza, isn't it?

Personally, I like them both (and the two bands as well). I was a standard-issue pubescent male heavy metal fan then went through the also fairly standard rejection of my past follies when I got into 'cooler' stuff as a later teenager, but I'm now well beyond giving a shit what's cool and Half Man Half Biscuit's Irk the Purists is my approach to musical tastes (although I bet Nigel B wouldn't be caught dead listening to Maiden...)

William of Walworth likes this.
  9. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Somewhere under the raincloud

Their mums do anyway.

Stop picking on my little Jeremy, he tries ever so hard to play his guitar thingy and sing his little sons about being cross about things. It's not his fault he's overweight, he's got glands. And he worries that girls won't like him.

10. Siouxsie

Siouxsie Fashionable objector with a uniform fetish

I didn't know where to put this.....so I'll leave it here :eek:
    Wonderful :D

mojo pixy likes this.
  11. stuff_it

stuff_it stirred the primordial soup

My tolerance for U2 extends to 'allowing them to go on living'. Anything else would be far too much involvement.

12. Spod

Spod Well-Known Member

I like a bit (but not all output) of Smiths and Maiden. But back when I was younger it was more binary. I went from metal, to goth to indie-kid to raver with no cross-over. Nowadays I can appreciate them all.

Oh and harking back on this thread Cheesypoof is bang on correct. Death Magnetic by Metallica is great. It might even tip the Black album IMO.

Cheesypoof likes this.