1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and love Iron Maiden

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Idris2002, Aug 6, 2017.

1. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

How old are you? Def Leppard and Iron Maiden were both NWOBHM back in the day.

2. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

It's got The Trooper on it. So you're wrong.

3. mojo pixy

mojo pixy unquantifiable hazards

Ah Iron Maiden :D

For about 2 years in my teens they were my favourite band ever ever ever. Made me want to play the drums (and helped me learn to play as I learned their songs). Made me pay attention in English class when we studied The Rime of the Ancient Mariner (I was like OMG I KNOW THIS POME!!11!).

I first heard them just after Powerslave came out, I was 12 and a friend of mine at school lent me a tape from his older brother that had Powerslave on one side and Let There be Rock by AC/DC on the other. That day I lost my soul entirely to heavy metal...

I had a couple of friends at school who liked The Smiths, I also liked them but they just didn't have the .. the fullness of Iron Maiden. Didn't have the lyrics either, for me, though I always remember liking Marr's guitar playing.

The Book of Souls is a pretty good album, considering they're all in their fifties / sixties now, and Bruce Dickinson did a fantastic job with the vocals bearing in mind he was being treated for throat cancer earlier the same year. I thought it was their best album since Seventh Son (which to be fair is a big step down from Somewhere in Time or anything that came before it)

I could go on and on about Iron Maiden, they were an extremely important part of my youth. But I'll depart now leaving this photo, of my little boy enjoying all the different Eddies on the first six albums.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  4. mojo pixy

I have, and the best bit on the album sounds exactly like Slayer. As for the rest, Clutch do that kind of thing way better IMO.

It's like their best album. Powerslave is basically a second-rate rehash.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  5. Cheesypoof

Cheesypoof Fuck off Noddy

Been meaning to give it a whirl...may do this week... :cool:

6. There's seven albums there.

7. mojo pixy

You're right :facepalm: I always forget Live After Death (because it's got no new songs on it I guess)
    Great cover though.

Magnus McGinty likes this.
  8. Yeah, I never bought it because I already had the songs.

9. mojo pixy

I was given it for christmas, and I seem to remember annoying my entire family by making them listen to it with me.

10. You what? Two minutes to midnight pisses on anything on Piece of Mind. As does Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

11. mojo pixy

I was being facetious, kinda. I love Powerslave very much, it being the album that invented heavy metal, for me.

But IMO you can hear the Revelations and Where Eagles Dare in Rime of the Ancient Mariner, the Die with your Boots On in Two Minutes to Midnight, The Trooper in Aces High, Flight of Icarus in The Duellists, and the Quest for Fire and Revelations in Powerslave.

I've probably listened to both of them way to many times.

12. mojo pixy

Back in the Village may be my top track on Powerslave, because it's kind of the foreshadowing of where they went on Somewhere in Time...

I've definitely listened to these way, way too many times.

13. Maybe that's the reason I don't rate it that much then. It's because I owned Powerslave first (I used to buy based on which cover I wanted next rather than any logical sequence).

14. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

I get to meet a lot of famous people through my work.

In over 15 years there's only one I've ever asked for a selfie with :cool:

IMG_9067.JPG

Siouxsie, spitfire, Ming and 7 others like this.
  15. mojo pixy

As I heard each one, it became my favourite for a while. Number of the Beast stuck for a long time, because it's just amazing (even people who don't like heavy metal like that one) but if I fancy a quick dose of Maiden, I have to say over time the two I go back to again and again are Piece of Mind and Somewhere in Time.

Plus (and I love this) at the time (1986) thrash was the thing. Everyone was trying to do it and everyone had started playing with two kick drums. Except Nicko McBrain - he was all I don't need that shit, I can play that fast on one drum churlish old bastard.
    So they made Somewhere in Time, and he does do it. Double kicking all the way through, on a single bass drum. Geezer.

16. Ming

Ming Massive prawns

Grew up with them. Maybe the most important band of my youth. Spent ages going over the Derek Riggs album covers looking for in-jokes. Saw them live on the Somewhere in Time tour in Liverpool. Almost broke my ankle trying to keep up with Nicko's bass drum pedal when i was a baby drummer. Killers is my favourite album. When we were forming bands at school and interviewing bass players it was always 'can you play any Geddy Lee or Steve Harris lines'?

17. Kaka Tim

Kaka Tim Crush the Saboteurs!

I don't see the point of any metal bands other than Sabbath.

fishfinger likes this.
  18. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Slayer want to have a word with you.

AverageJoe likes this.
  19. mojo pixy

This is what house music fans normally say.

20. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Used to love Maiden when I was a kid. I was also lucky enough to be flown to Cannes Film Festival a few years ago by Bruce himself in the actual fucking Iron Maiden Plane!

[​IMG]

spitfire, AverageJoe, Ming and 3 others like this.
  21. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

I give less than zero fucks about Iron Maiden or any other metal band (except maybe AC/DC - who I don't think of as a metal band anyway) but even I would think that was pretty cool!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    Kaka Tim and skyscraper101 like this.
  22. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

I never had to face that choice and managed to get through my teenage years liking both of these bands.

mojo pixy likes this.
  23. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

RAZOR want to have a word with you also

mojo pixy and Ming like this.
  24. Siouxsie

Siouxsie Fashionable objector with a uniform fetish

I had no choice. Paul Di'anno entered my life and nothing was ever the same again :)

25. Ming

Ming Massive prawns

Great album!

rutabowa likes this.
  26. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

I'm not into that shit usually but it is pretty awesome (in the right mood) yeah