1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and love Iron Maiden

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Idris2002, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Idris2002

Idris2002 this prim barbarism

A long, long time ago, I was faced with the choice - "right, it's either the Smiths or Iron Maiden".

I chose. . . poorly.

But even though it's been a long hard road, I've finally come home to the Irons.

And I'm listening to this album of theirs right now.

Funny thing, though, what it reminds me most of all is the Waterboys, and that sort of 'big music' thing they used to do.

2. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

My brother chose The Smiths which left me with no choice but Maiden. In retrospect I can't thank him enough.

3. TruXta

TruXta tired

Luckily I hadn't even heard of The Smiths until I was old enough to have a semblance of musical taste, so it was an easy decision to go on ignoring them. I've not really listened much to Maiden since the 7th son album, how is their recent output compared to the all-conquering classic stuff?

bubblesmcgrath likes this.
  4. Idris2002

Couldn't tell you, I've got a lot of ground to make up!

5. S☼I

S☼I Comic sans routine

6. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

I was perfect for the Smiths in the 80s ,I was a miserablist indie student but I just didn't get them :D preferred Maiden then. Haven't listened to either for years now.

7. Cheesypoof

Cheesypoof Fuck off Noddy

I love Iron Maiden and never liked The Smiths. Iron Maiden, hands down!

8. QueenOfGoths

QueenOfGoths Fuck you Dave!

The Smiths were the band I grew up with and despite Morrisey's later idiocy their music will always mean a lot to me.

However I bloody love Maiden :D

NoXion and bubblesmcgrath like this.
  9. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Iron Maiden aren't the best metal band. They went shit with seventh son and Megadeth & Metallica were always superior.

I came to the Smiths late, no idea how anyone could dislike them. Bar the crap Morrissey comes out with.

Cheesypoof and bubblesmcgrath like this.
  10. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

11. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Metallica did 3, maybe 4 good albums (there's an argument to be had about AJFA..., everything after that was shit though) and then disappeared up their own arses. Iron Maiden by your own admission put out 6 good albums before they started to go downhill.

Megadeath...could have been so much more.

Sweet FA, Poi E and mojo pixy like this.
  12. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

mid 90s, smiths. Was this a thing for older people when they were younger? 'Maiden or Simth'? Like the later 'oasis or blur' nonsense?

never got into maiden, some metallica but again only a few tunes. The Smith tho, still get played today.

13. Casually Red

Casually Red tomorrow belongs to me

Walked into Gatsbys one night in the mid 80s and there was this one group of punters .. some with daffodils in their arse pockets ( wtf ??) and even one with a pair of jack duckworth glasses on . All looking miserable as fuck . Was informed these wankers were " into the smiths " .
    Looked up at the dance floor ...one of those glass jobs with multi coloured lights under it...and there was another bunch dressed like Bros...they even had Grolsch bottle tops on their shoes. throwing bryl cremed shapes with gay abandon .

A flesh eatig pox on all their houses . Even this ex mod would prefer to be head banging to maiden than either concoction of shite .

WouldBe and bubblesmcgrath like this.
  14. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

You sound like you were on a similar trajectory to me. I pretty much stopped buying new metal at the end of the 80s. So their 'golden era' conveniently coincides with that. Drugs came along and with them different music. So I don't really know the post 1990 output - but didn't it all start shifting towards grunge round about then?

15. Idris2002

I was speaking personally (and I shall draw a discreet veil over my tolerance for U2).

16. bubblesmcgrath

bubblesmcgrath Well-Known Member

Pmsl at this...:D

17. Cheesypoof

Have you ever listened to Death Magnetic from 2009? Honestly have you? Another thing I keep hearing from some diehard Metallica fans is that their most recent album is the best thing since 'And Justice for All.' I havent listened to it yet.

18. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Oh and Piece of Mind is terrible.

19. Idris2002

Let's not forget that "Oasis or Blur" helped inspire a pretty good scene in Father Ted.

20. xenon

xenon ·≈0

Not really, as I recall.

I like one or two Smiths songs, Johnny Marr is a great guitarist. But I was always into Iron Maiden.

Of the latest stuff, brave new world is my favourite I think.

21. Casually Red

Iirc there may have been a B52 bomber crew there as well . A bryl cremed gang of them in Chinos , denim shirt , fur lined brown leather bomber jacket . No aeroplane .

Fucking wankers .

WouldBe and bubblesmcgrath like this.
  22. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

It's too late now. After more than 20 years of terrible music and Lars Ulrich being one of the biggest pricks in the universe I'm not giving them another chance.

And however good it is it's not Battery. Or at least it's not Battery in 1986 when heavy metal meant Def Leppard.

Kaka Tim and Poi E like this.
  23. Cheesypoof

So you have never heard it I gather.

24. TruXta

TruXta tired

Out! Gtfo!

maomao likes this.
  25. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Def Leppard were soft rock, Maiden were metal and Metallica were thrash, back in the day.

26. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

It's bloody awful. :D

27. TruXta

TruXta tired

It's shit.

28. TruXta

TruXta tired

Nah, it's great. As for megadeth, again gtfo.

29. Casually Red

AC/DC mean proper metal to me . They did it right .

Couldn't say a bad word about them .

30. Cheesypoof

It's brilliant.