How high can Dulwich go?

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Pickers, May 8, 2018.

1. Pickers

Pickers New Member

Just wondering how high Dulwich can go? Obviously everyone is euphoric after yesterday but promotion has been close for the last few years. Current circumstances bring their own challenges and hopefully it won’t have too much impact on player retention/ recruitment over the summer.

Obviously the focus is on the long term survival of the club.

The club has done fantastic work in recent years in the community and the growth in attendances is testament to that.

Just wondering what people think the potential is and how we will fair next season?

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I just want to have fun rather than crave endless prize baubles. I'll be happy with whatever next season brings just so long as Hamlet continue their community based activities and fans stay true to the club's ethos. A cup final win would be nice though. Just one.

3. Pickers

Pickers New Member

Fully agree.
    Just getting carried away as my home team (Sunderland) have caused so much misery over the last 10 years.

4. Al Cunningham

Al Cunningham Brockley Hamlet

I think if the same management and players are kept we could challenge for the playoffs (top 7). Great talent and team spirit plus the habit of generally winning over the last 5 years. Having said that just happy having a team playing good football. More and more people are being convinced that non league football is more fun more affordable and the clubs are connected from the top to the bottom. Whats not to.love ...

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The higher we go the more it costs and the further we have to travel. I REALLY don't want to end up visiting segregated grounds with stroppy fans every other week, where you can't drink on the terraces and generally have a relaxed day out, so I'm happy if we stay in this division. But I'll still take a cup win. Or two.

6. geezuz170

geezuz170 SE11 Faction

It’s a tricky one for me, as I think it’s difficult to support a team and not want them to get promoted. I also hear what you are saying too. I suppose what will be will be. For next season I’d be happy to finish outside of the relegation zone and a good cup run.

7. blueheaven

blueheaven Well-Known Member

How far does our stadium situation even allow us to go? Whether at Champion Hill or the KNK, do these grounds meet the stadium requirements for the next league up? What about the Football League? (Not saying these are targets but would just be interesting to know, are the stadium requirements for the various divisions available online anywhere?).

8. Jamie Wyatt

Jamie Wyatt Well-Known Member

Not sure either ground is big enough for the next step up... have a look here.
    http://www.thefa.com/my-football/fo...ashx/groundgradinggroundimprovement_jan11.pdf

Not sure how upto date that is.

It mentions minimum 4K capacity and at least 8 turnstiles!

geezuz170 likes this.
  9. Roger D

Roger D Well-Known Member

Given Meadow are holding a threat to liquidate us over our heads, as far as I am aware the back rent has not been paid and we are well past their deadline, I'll be very happy if we start next season.

Assuming we do that, I'll be delighted if we finish the season with enough money in the bank to start again in 2019/20. I'll take any league or league position that permits that. Until we get back home the rest is all but irrelevant in my eyes.

Get home and we can re-build. Until then we will be losing 33-50% of our potential crowd every game, have no bar income etc. We won't be going very far under those conditions.

iamwithnail and pompeydunc like this.
  10. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

Yes, surely having enough money and hopefully Gavin and core players from this season to start next season is key
    mid table would be fantastic and trying to keep at 1,000 plus attendances at KNK vital
    we must not let our community work suffer ( I am sure we wont) but we are miles from home - so local events in Dulwich/Camberwell/Brixton area still vital
    Also hope we dont lose that friendlessness to away fans we presently maintain (because we will be coming up against away fans - whos out look of a away day maybe set by their days in the League - and all that goes with it

as for how high - hopefully were not like Salford owners etc who simply want to get into the League as soon as possible - now if (big if) it ever happened that we were pushing for League status, great - but fear it would change our Club irreversibly

Proud that were non-league - proud we dont call the Rabble "ultras" proud were inclusive and safe - thats what makes Dulwich Hamlet different

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  11. isvicthere?

isvicthere? a.k.a. floppybollocks

12. isvicthere?

isvicthere? a.k.a. floppybollocks

My new team, UCAM Murcia, are in the labyrinthine third tier of Spanish football. They started promisingly in the top four but have fallen away late on and face mid-table obscurity. Local rivals, Real Murcia, had a 30 000 seater new stadium built (in a shopping centre!) when they were high flyers and now every home game (in the same division as us) must seem like playing in an aircraft hangar.

My original team, Southampton, look from last night to have hung on by the skin of their teeth in the prem.

13. bringbackelmo

bringbackelmo Well-Known Member

Momentum is key in non-league as much as anywhere. Consistently winning games and challenging at the top for the past few seasons will serve Dulwich very well.

Additionally, at this level there is not a great deal of difference between the top half of one league and the bottom half of the next.

Obviously the off-field stuff is potentially a huge hindrance, but I don't see any reason why Dulwich shouldn't finish in the top half next season.

pompeydunc likes this.
  14. pompeydunc

pompeydunc Well-Known Member

Agree. Putting off-field issues to one side, no reason why this squad can't finish top 7 for a play-off spot. I'm guessing two or three of the players might be tempted by professional offers... I wouldn't be surprised to see GM Vauxhall Conference teams (or higher) interested in Chambers, Green, Reise and Nyren.

Brutaldeluxe likes this.
  15. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

What a silly hypothetical question really...

We just need to consolidate at our new level and enjoy.

As well, as many have stated, the 'minor' problem of getting back to SE22.

Everything else is irrelivant...apart from winning our next game.... Which would take us up eventually, if we do that.

I think National League National is cloud cuckoo land, at the moment.

Let's enjoy the summer, have a wonderful celebratory tour to Hamburg, then...take it one game at a time after that.

16. scousedom

scousedom Well-Known Member

According to footballwebpages, of everyone playing National League or below this season, we rank 26th in average home attendance. Of the 25 above us, one was in Southern League this season, six National League North, 18 National League.

So if attendance was the only consideration - no benefactors (malefactors in one or two cases I could name?!), no sponsorship or other off-field income factors, no differential from managers or scouts or catchment areas etc etc, then our "natural" level is lower National League / upper National League South.

That's before going into whether our average home attendance will go up or down next year (higher league versus not playing most games at Champion Hill as we did this season).

But while this might be interesting to muse on, I agree with Mishi. Far better to spend the summer celebrating and enjoying what the team and club have achieved! And then enjoy our new League surroundings as long as we can before deciding we're too good for them!

Pink Panther and editor like this.
  17. Scolly

Scolly Well-Known Member

We will have a few of these next year, Woking strings to mind... we will have segregation there. Lucky its not far away, so quick in and out.

I suspect a few teams who have been in - out of National will still have segregation in place

18. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

"GM Vauxhall Conference teams"? It's now called the National League and we're in it ourselves.

Dulwich Mishi likes this.
  19. pompeydunc

It wasn't segregated for a Woking vs Pompey pre-season. Mistake.

20. pompeydunc

Come on Pink Panther, this wasn't meant for you... The 1990s were better anyway...

21. Pink Panther

Woking is one of the dullest towns I've ever visited and I bet 90% of the people who watch them are primarily Chelsea fans who don't actually attend Chelsea matches.

(* Bit of lazy stereotyping in response to halfwits on their forum branding us as hipsters.)

Dulwich Mishi likes this.
  22. Pink Panther

The 1970's were best.

scousedom likes this.
  23. Dulwich Mishi

Ooh, controversial!

Hamlet wise.... Jimmy Rose's side against Frank Murphy's maestroes.

(Very) Old Skool discuss (Calling liamdhfc !) ;)

24. Pink Panther

I wasn't meaning the Hamlet. More football in general.

2013-18 Hamlet has been the best era of my personal 40 years of Hamlet

25. Pink Panther

Ah was that a subtle dig at Woeful and their 1990's Geoff Chapple glory days? In which case I salute you Dunc!

26. Dulwich Mishi

Same here! But that's not saying much, with some of the awful stuff around the rare good times...up until now!

27. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Was it at the start of this season there was RoseOut talk? Showed up some contradictions of the low ambition sentiment that one

Cyclodunc likes this.
  28. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

RoseOut lol never happened.

29. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

I think over the last few years there've been a few 'teams have worked us out' or 'taken us as far as he can' type comments every time we've had a few bad games but that's as far as it's got. There's never been any number of people wanting him out I'm sure.

pompeydunc, clog and Pink Panther like this.
  30. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset likes this.