1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How far is it round Brockwell Park?

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Mrs Miggins, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Up the junction

Up the junction Banned Banned

tbh, it's all about Strava nowadays. But that doesn't get around the problem of pacing yourself on a hilly circuit.

The only way I know is to pick your points - eack K perhaps, and know what you have to beat.

https://www.strava.com/

brixtonblade and Tricky Skills like this.
  2. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

I'm sure that they have messed up my time. My watch said 26.59, my pb had been 27.05 and I got a time of 27.08. In addition, I'm sure my barcode said 208 but my time was for 209.

All I can do is go back and do the time, or better, again.

Dexter Deadwood likes this.
  3. Up the junction

If you're sure, just assume the time of the 208th finisher 27:04 - a pb by 1 second: Hurrah!

The other thing is you probably crossed the start line a few seconds after the official stopwatch was clicked, so your watch reflects that difference.

Either way you did great! :)

Final thing, as long as your comfortable with it ... it's easy to know your real full name now.

Smick likes this.
  4. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

Wow - that's an impressive time! Well done!

5. Smick

I hit go on the watch once the runners were told to run, so I'd expect the two to have been right.

I think they've got me mixed up with 207, Miriam Cogan.

Anyway, I bottled it on the BMX hill, so I don't really deserve a PB.

So I'll be back next week and do it without stopping and get a PB!

And I have no issues with anyone knowing my name. You also know my age range too. My brother, dad, all my friends I grew up with all call me Smick though. My mum and sister call me Mick and everyone I work with calls me Michael. When I was a kid, out playing round the streets, my dad reckoned the initial 's' made it easier for me to hear him calling me back in.

When I met gaijingirl at the White Hart she asked what my real name is and I told her just to call me Smick.

A few people on here know exactly where I live, and I'm probably less keen on that being shared amongst the masses.

By the way, should we have a separate parkrun thread? The parkrun is a fantastic community event run by volunteers and I think it deserves a thread of its own.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  6. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

That looks good but I meant it's hard to work out what pace to do each km as some will be faster than others because they won't be uphill. You can't just divide your target time by 5 and run each km that fast.

7. Dexter Deadwood

Dexter Deadwood Left Voluntarily Enforced Holiday Banned

I think a Thread dedicated to Parkrun would be an excellent idea.
    Indeed, and this app has helped with with your question.
    I want to run with you.

8. Smick

You'd fucking hate me.

9. Dexter Deadwood

I think about this often, usually where i can gain time is the third & fourth km, that will be reflected in my overall time if i remain consistent elsewhere on the course. I tend to finish strongly.
    The km points are marked on the app map and you can analyse your splits and your overall run via the colour coding.
    This is a run i did recently;

bandicam 2015-04-19 08-50-00-427.jpg
    bandicam 2015-04-19 09-15-51-064.jpg
    bandicam 2015-04-19 08-51-08-760.jpg

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
    Greebo likes this.
  10. Up the junction

One thing you can do is use the Virtual Partner feature on a Garmin - so you're talking proper money.

Assuming you upload what you're aiming for (usually another finisher at the same parkrun with a similar run profile), you'll know how youre doing for a pb very step, and regardless of hills.

11. plurker

plurker tĂș no tienes la culpa mi amor que el mundo sea feo

Oh! This is very interesting; I didn't know - thnaks for the post :)

I run a 5m loop round Tooting Common (and on occasion an 8m one looping both Tooting and Streatham commons), but have been looking for a way to motivate myself to improve times over the shorter distances. Getting over to Brockwell on a Sunday would mean me running there, so I'd be knackered by the time I got there...so this will be A GOOD THING!

12. leanderman

leanderman Street Party: July 2

True: Virtual Partner is really useful for pacing. I like the interval feature too.

Greebo and brixtonblade like this.
  13. brixtonblade

I'm pretty much incapable of running intervals properly on my own. Too hard, too lazy.

14. leanderman

leanderman Street Party: July 2

Glad it's not just me.

I'm supposed to do five intervals of 400m fast/600m normal.

Without Garmin, it turns into 100m fast/100m walk/800m meander

15. Dexter Deadwood

I clocked 31.14 on the Dulwich course today, ran with a friend who went off a bit too fast for me; I'm learning to start slow and finish strong.
    I'm delighted with my new PB.

bandicam 2015-04-21 17-21-08-866.jpg

brixtonblade likes this.
  16. Up the junction

A 24 seconds pb? Well done, sir!

Interesting how the colour coding has that nasty little hill by the lido as being steeper than the back hill (post #249). That would explain a lot!

17. brixtonblade

Congrats! Sub 30 by the end of summer?

One of the best - and worst - things about running is that as soon as you've achieved one target you pretty much instantly move on to the next one.

Nothing to do with brixton, brockwell park or parkrun (so apologies for veering so far off topic) but I found out about a free mile race around the streets near St Pauls later in summer that looked interesting and thought I'd post here:
    http://www.cityoflondonmile.co.uk/

Greebo and Dexter Deadwood like this.
  18. Dexter Deadwood

No, 1 min 29 secs off my PB.

Yeah, i struggle a bit going up that small hill as well, hence the red but i did it "comfortably" the other day; some of it is in the mind.

Up the junction and Greebo like this.
  19. Dexter Deadwood

That was always one of the main goals but i might just sneak it before the Summer.

They don't have a veterans mile. A race instead of a run, i would get slaughtered.

20. brixtonblade

They are going to group the waves in to similar times.

Miles are good fun - it's good to go flat out and see how quick you can do it and then have your brain boggled by thinking _just_ how much quicker a 4 min mile is than what you just creaked out.

Greebo, plurker and Dexter Deadwood like this.
  21. Up the junction

sorry to misread the numbers. that's brilliant!

22. brixtonblade

23. kl8041

kl8041 Member

I use Endomondo to track my running and cycling and a useful function you can call up is to run against your own previous performance - so select your fastest recorded Brockwell park run time, stick the headphones in and every km it'll tell you how many seconds ahead or behind you are. Very useful feature. Same as the Garmin feature, but free on your phone.

Attached Files:

24. Up the junction

Well that's interesting. Thanks for mentioning! d/l now ...

25. brixtonblade

Some of the running apps make it hard to download your workouts if you want to load the somewhere else; I had a massive faff doing endomondo training logs to get them in to fetcheveryone.

Not a problem if you are only ever going to use one app but i found it a pain.

26. Dexter Deadwood

Good point.
    I'm playing with all of them as long as the entry point is free and not too limiting.
    I'm not that keen on Strava because it's a bit spammy and multi function, I just use it for cycling. I'm going to try Endomondo.
    Do you have one you prefer for running?

27. brixtonblade

I like fetchevveryone - lots of useful tools, good maps/activity viewers (although your nike screenshots look a bit fancier) and a really friendly + helpful community.

It doesnt have an app that will track your run though so you need to use something else to log your runs. If you have a watch it should be easy to upload. If youre using an app then it will vary from app to app which are easiest. I used endomondo and was quite impressed with it but I found moving the runs across in to fetcheveryone was a pain and I was keen to do that because of the training tools.I ended up getting a cheap watch eventually (sometimes see v good deals in sales).

edit as that's a bit rambly!
    - I liked the endomodo app for tracking runs
    - I prefer to review runs on fetcheveryone and it may be awkward to load runs to there if your tracking app makes it hard to bulk download workouts

28. Up the junction

The thing I really like about Strava is everyone I know is on it now, so I see what my cousin in Somerset is doing and my whole club (based around Brixton). It is a *community* in a sense as you message people, as well.

I've never been spammed by Stava, or any exercise app - though Headspace send you stuff quite frequently.

Happy with Strava, it just doesn't have this particular functionality as part of its free offering.

It's obv now tied in with parkrun as well, though I haven't quite worked out the advantage of that yet ...

29. brixtonblade

Hadnt heard about the parkrun tie up - what's the deal?

30. Up the junction

brixtonblade likes this.