1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How far is it round Brockwell Park?

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Mrs Miggins, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Up the junction

Up the junction Banned Banned

Just curious, lefties often feel better going clockwise :)

2. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

The hill isn't as steep going the other way so it feels a bit easier. Not sure if it makes it easier to go faster mind you.

Running 10k sometimes will really help your 5ks. Also a big milestone in itself - it's a long way!

3. gdubz

gdubz Hashtaggin'

10k opens it all up, and particularly around South london - before you know it, you're running along the Thames; up to crystal palace (or that horrific hill through Sydenham woods); round any number of commons - green parakeets cheering you all the way!

4. brixtonblade

Very good point. Clapham Common, Dulwich Park and Peckham Rye are probably all around 10k there and back loops from Brixton.

Greebo and Dexter Deadwood like this.
  5. Up the junction

Indeed, I esp. like the lovely quiet route to DP from Brockwell (Stradella > Burbage). Fwiw, even from Loughborough it's 3k to MI6, so you don't get too much Embankment for your money in a 10K loop from Brockwell.

6. gdubz

gdubz Hashtaggin'

Come on - there's nothing as exhilarating/upsetting as trundling up to the horniman then along the ridge, riding the hill wave all the way to tulse hill and home. And much as I abhor the whole gentrification thing, that carpetright near the hobbo/hooters never sold you a cheap sandwich and a lucozade sport

Greebo likes this.
  7. brixtonblade

Running up the hill behind the horniman is more upsetting

Greebo likes this.
  8. gdubz

gdubz Hashtaggin'

You'd be quicker if the horiman was behind you....

Here all week...weddings and bar mitzvahs...

9. Up the junction

Fwiw, someone suggested the easiest/steadiest gradient up to Sydenham Hill/CP Parade area is Farquhar Rd. I tend to go straight up the toll road but plan to try the suggestion, perhaps on Friday ...

Greebo likes this.
  10. brixtonblade

Not sure about that. I'd have guessed toll road was steadiest. I haven't gone up farquah (I didn't know where the farque it was till I googled) but I've run down croxted and stayed on till getting to the top of the hill and it steepens up quite a bit and I would guess farquah would too.

Edit - if I go to CP then I'll be doing a hilly run so will be trying to get a few strung together rather than avoiding them

11. Up the junction

Turns out Farquhar Rd is the steadiest gradient - and I can confirm it is a hill ;) I guess the diff with the toll road is you get a couple of breathers on the latter (where it flattens out somewhat) but have a steeper climb elsewhere to make up for that. Farquhar is just less of a farquhar in that sense.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  12. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

I had a great parkrun this morning. My watch told me that I had done it in 27:27, my second best time, my quickest since October 2013. BUT... They had an issue with the barcodes so weren't able to record times. I can't hold it against them, they do such a great job week in, week out. I just need to make sure I do as good a run, if not better, next week.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  13. Up the junction

The stop watch stopped working in the inclement weather. Can't recover from that.

Excellent time, almost exactly my parkrun pb as well!

Greebo likes this.
  14. Dexter Deadwood

Dexter Deadwood Left Voluntarily Enforced Holiday Banned

With my current pace and personal best (set a few weeks ago 32.50), you would be about 1km ahead of me as you crossed the finish line. Good run.

Greebo likes this.
  15. leanderman

leanderman Street Party: July 2

Need to start going again.

Doing the junior version on Sundays instead.

ETA: For the first time, our three all finished without one or more giving up!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  16. Smick

I often wonder if your way is better exercise as you'd be running for five minutes more than me.

17. brixtonblade

Probably... longer period with the heart rate up I guess

Smick likes this.
  18. Dexter Deadwood

Over the same distance, if we are the same weight, you will burn more calories by running faster.
    Shaved 7 seconds of my PB this afternoon, the park was beautiful. 32.43 closing in on my target of a first sub 30 5km, (386 calories burnt) so I'm only about 975 metres behind you lol.

I've started using the Nike running app, it's free and I think it's great, split times, everything.

Greebo and brixtonblade like this.
  19. brixtonblade

IF you go somewhere flat you could do the 30 minutes I reckon.

Greebo likes this.
  20. Up the junction

Dulwich parkrun in the obvious choice, though Burgess parkrun is even flatter. You might want to leave Crystal Palace and Hilly Fields for a while.

Tooting shouldn't be too long now, that's pancake flat as well.

21. Smick

I've done Dulwich parkrun and it's just so boring. Not only is it flat, it's a constant curve so there are no hills, no corners, no camber. I find Brockwell tough but it has character.

22. brixtonblade

Dulwich is a bit dull but is good if you want to do a time trial. Will have to try Burgess Park one; I like that park and it is flat so would be good for a time too.

23. Up the junction

I forgot to mention the newish one at Peckham, also good for a fast time.

I also like Brockwell parkrun - it's ... character building :D Going up that hill for the second time you at least get the opportunity for a long, dark look into your soul.

brixtonblade, Smick and Greebo like this.
  24. leanderman

I hate the slope up from the Lido the most.

25. Up the junction

Actually, I totally agree and I've never been able to work out why - it looks pretty innocuous compared to the back hill but it is such a struggle ..

Greebo likes this.
  26. leanderman

Yes! With the big hill you know what you are in for, it has a rep, a presence.

The other is sneakier, crueller.

Greebo likes this.
  27. Tricky Skills

Tricky Skills I demand tea - NOW!

Kinda grinning - managed a PB today: 22:09. Very happy with that. It was tough. I had that horrid running sick feeling up BMX Hill. I knew I was on course for a PB and so pressed ahead.

Now what?

How do I lose those 9 seconds?

28. Up the junction

lose 16oz ;)

Tricky Skills likes this.
  29. brixtonblade

Thats a great time round that course.

It's hard to pace as each km split is different because of the hills.

30. Dexter Deadwood

Greebo and brixtonblade like this.