1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How far is it round Brockwell Park?

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Mrs Miggins, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Peanut Monkey

Peanut Monkey Flea-Bit of CHL.

There's thousands of parakeets across SW and West London. Rumoured to be down to a number of them just being released to fly off after they'd been used to film scenes from The African Queen over here. I've seen flocks and flocks of them down near Shepperton.

Greebo likes this.
  2. Dexter Deadwood

Dexter Deadwood Left Voluntarily Enforced Holiday Banned

Saw four of them parrot type birds in the same tall tree stump near the Tulse Hill entrance. They must be a family or friends or something. I guess birds of a feather stick together.
    Park was really busy again, always is on a Sunday and the train was running and doing good business.

I flew around the park like an old fart and finally smashed my PB, I ran faster than ever at 33:16 and had more in the tank; i think. I'm over the moon.
    I have been trying to do that all year, accomplishment unlocked. I was always hoping to run a sub 30 in the Summer but now i will do it in the coming Spring.
    I have lost a Stone in weight since the start of the year, i'm back to last years fitness levels, i will go beyond that. This is another freedom.

3. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

It's amazing how quick the weight comes off, all you need to do is 30 mins, twice or three times a week.

I've never had scales, but I've always been a portly guy. When I started running,I noticed the difference in my clothes, I had to put another hole on my belt, people commented on the weight I had lost.

It's not the reason why I started running, but it's a pleasant by-product.

Greebo, han, brixtonblade and 2 others like this.
  4. han

han brixton hill hobbit

I've had to stop doing the Couch To 5k for a bit as my knees are giving me jip. I can feel the odd twinge when I walk, so I don't want to exacerbate it by running. I'm just going to focus on cycling til it (hopefully) gets better.

Greebo likes this.
  5. leanderman

leanderman Street Party: July 2

Lucky you. Since January 1, I have done double that amount of weekly exercise and have not lost an ounce! Trying the Rec now - in desperation.

6. Smick

I was starting from quite a podgy base.

7. leanderman

leanderman Street Party: July 2

I'm no Slim Jim! People say I look slimmer but the belt doesn't lie.

8. Dexter Deadwood

Had a lovely free run in the park today. I set a another PB over the 5km course yesterday so i'm no longer so obsessed with it. It's good to run freestyle and i concentrated on the hills using other parts of the park.

I always see the parakeets now and i notice others spotting them with surprised delight. They only seem to make noise when they are in flight and yes they are quite vocal. I love them.

Some people were attempting to sunbathe this morning which i thought was a bit ambitious. The bulbs are coming up and i really like the planted sweeps.

Smick, Greebo and brixtonblade like this.
  9. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back?

Those parakeets also squawk when not in flight, and they can count, and they've got a sense of rhythm. You probably don't want to know how I worked that out. :oops:

Dexter Deadwood likes this.
  10. Dexter Deadwood

[​IMG]

11. Greebo

All the more reason not to tell you. :p

Dexter Deadwood likes this.
  12. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

Just pumped up the buggy tyres - all good to go tomorrrow.

(unless it rains, baby is having a lie in, other excuses etc etc)

Greebo and Dexter Deadwood like this.
  13. Dexter Deadwood

mega-man-pram-4.jpg

brixtonblade and Greebo like this.
  14. brixtonblade

That's ridiculous

The floppy hat will blow off the baby as soon as he's up to speed

elmpp and Dexter Deadwood like this.
  15. Greebo

Not with that pram's hood, surely?

That picture reminded me of the old fashioned SilverCross prams which nearly everyone used at one time (2nd or 3rd hand in poorer areas) - large wheels and carriage suspension made it easy to get up quite a lick of speed, even over rough ground. Which is why so many ended up as go carts.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  16. Smick

Exactly right! After my sister got a bit older, me and my brother made a go-kart out of ours. My dad called it a gider for some reason.

Greebo likes this.
  17. brixtonblade

Don't imagine they corner too well. Drag racers.

Greebo likes this.
  18. Dexter Deadwood

I'm always overtaken by buggy pushers who invariably have a smile on their face. They have one pace; faster than me.
    One day i will catch one, overtake them, stay ahead of them and sing la, la, la, la, la.

Greebo likes this.
  19. Smick

I did the parkrun in Victoria Park in Belfast one time, set a pb, but as I'm running I can hear this strange noise behind me. Eventually a man overtakes me and not only had he a buggy, but a rattly buggy board on the back with a kid of about 4 on it. So he was running for three people and still managed to overtake me.

20. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

dunno what you're all complaining about - I've been "running" up the hill in Brockwell Park before and been overtaken by someone pushing a buggy at normal walking pace. :mad:

21. Twattor

Twattor Well-Known Member

probably brixtonblade

22. Dexter Deadwood

This was attached to the bench by the Lido slope;
    2015-03-20 09.04.37.jpg

Greebo and brixtonblade like this.
  23. brixtonblade

That reminds me - there was a poster up in the playground today saying someone found a wedding ring - there's a number to call in case it's anyone on here's.

Greebo and Dexter Deadwood like this.
  24. Up the junction

Up the junction Banned Banned

Just a word to the wise about parkrun tomorrow. An entitled dog walker intentionally set up a shouty situation last week. Brixtonbuzz tweeted about it *very* quickly after but it was thankfully dampened down on social media. Hopefully it's blown over but just be careful to not be mugged into 'offending' someone with a dog tomorrow.

Dexter Deadwood and Greebo like this.
  25. Smick

Apparently there has been someone intentionally letting their dog off the lead as runners approach.

I can understand how it mustn't be great to have 300 runners approach you as you're walking a dog or pushing a pram, but getting someone to collide with your dog is not the answer. I think they're going to have to move the start of the parkrun to have less people running at the narrow stretch between the lido and the Water Lane gate.

26. Up the junction

I was *running* around Dulwich Park about 3 weekends ago and was overtaken by a big bloke on a mobility scooter. I know they can go a decent speed but it still leaves a bad taste ... :hmm: :oops:

27. Smick

One of the things I'd enshrine into law would be that mobility scooters can go no faster than walking pace.

28. Dexter Deadwood

I'm sure it's easier running the Parkrun course in reverse, which i have been doing since Saturday.
    Although "easier" is not reflected in my times just yet something else has happened. On Sunday i was so cross with my 5km time that i ran another 5km straight after; I did it again today 10km in 68 minutes and it was a reasonably comfortable run, second 5km felt easier but was slower.

I like the idea of running 10km for a number of reasons, burn more calories, build endurance, it must eventually make 5km easier.

brixtonblade and Greebo like this.
  29. Up the junction

Are you left-sided?

30. Dexter Deadwood

Ummm, I'm left wing but right hand/foot preference.
    I just needed to mix it up a bit and and simply running the course in reverse makes a big difference fun wise.