1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How far is it round Brockwell Park?

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Mrs Miggins, Aug 29, 2007.

1. SpamMisery

SpamMisery I bet you think this tagline's about you?

They're the same reasons for masturbation's popularity. You can also do time trials, but not in the park - the authorities are quick as bunnies if you try.

boohoo, gdubz, Smick and 1 other person like this.
  2. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

The authorities are sometimes a little premature in my experience.

SpamMisery likes this.
  3. Rushy

I have seen a couple of total arses during Parkrun. Bloke walking along the path with a child holding each hand at full arm's length to take up as much room as possible repeatedly shouting "This is a public park" as the public runners ran around him. Another very big guy on a skipping rope bang in the middle of the path close to the top of the BMX track hill clearly "making a point".

The event is over in 30 minutes. It sticks to the outer path and runners are only really bunched up for about 15 of those. For anyone who really hates it, it's not hard to avoid.

There were several police around the course a couple of weeks ago, presumably due to the complaints.

4. Dexter Deadwood

Dexter Deadwood Left Voluntarily Enforced Holiday Banned

Made my debut run at Brockwell this morning, it was nice and friendly; no incidents or accidents.
    Probably went around in circa 32 minutes, it was a comfortable jog all things considered; I enjoyed it.

Greebo likes this.
  5. Rushy

It was quite a fast group today. I was 5s faster than last week but still 12 places further down the field.

The faster runner was in his 50s. Gives me hope that it's not necessarily all down hill from here.

There was also a couple in a top hat and veil, apparently getting a run in before the big event!

Greebo likes this.
  6. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

New BPB (buggy personal best) for me today.

Was pretty good conditions this morning and glad I got out as was debating running this afternoon instead and the weather is now shit.

Greebo likes this.
  7. Rushy

Saw a couple of you guys with buggies - was going to say hello just in case but after the run my ears were blocked which was making me speak a bit like I have a speech impediment!

Greebo likes this.
  8. brixtonblade

Yeah, there were a few buggies this week. Ours is the blue three wheeler so you know for next time.

Greebo likes this.
  9. Dexter Deadwood

Last edited: May 24, 2015
    Smick, Greebo and brixtonblade like this.
  10. brixtonblade

Great work!

That's a real milestone.

If you do that sort of run every week or two you'll see some big benefits across all distances. Also opens up some nice routes. You could probably get up round green Park and back for instance

Greebo and Dexter Deadwood like this.
  11. Dexter Deadwood

Thanks Blade, sometimes I still don't consider myself to be a runner even though I run 3/4 times a week. I think this is a landmark achievement, a milestone as you say. I think I can call myself a runner now, I would just like to get a bit faster but I believe that will come with time.

I would like to do the three parks, St James's park, Green park and Hyde Park.

Greebo likes this.
  12. Dexter Deadwood

Strava lacks a few things in basic mode even though I have free plug ins. Maybe it's me getting familiar with it.
    Eventually I worked out my half marathon time 2 hours 36 mins.

13. brixtonblade

I think thats about 18 miles if you run to/from Brixton. You could get a tube to victoria or green park and start there though to make it a bit shorter. Quite a nice run though.

You're definitely a runner!

The pace will come with time as you say. Also, you can maybe do hills or intervals to help things. Brockwell is good for hills - you could do repeats up the back hill (the "down" hill on parkrun) or perhaps do a lap round the outside where each time you go past a path leading up the hill to the middle you sprint up it and jog back down before carrying on your lap... I quite like this as you make the most of the views in the park.

Greebo and Dexter Deadwood like this.
  14. Up the junction

Up the junction Banned Banned

n/a

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  15. Tricky Skills

Tricky Skills I demand tea - NOW!

Skipping Rope Man is WEIRD. He stands right in the way of the runners. It's not as if there is a lack of space around the rest of the park :facepalm:

It's almost as if he is waiting for an incident to take place.

Greebo likes this.
  16. Up the junction

As per DogWalkerGate - at the Brockwell parkrun start a month or so ago - absolutely the best way (so far) to deal with park nutters is to record them on video on a phone as runners go by. It's amazing how self-conscious they immediately become.

It's like they're mentally deleting the tweet or email they'd already drafted about how *unreasonable/inconsiderate* etc, parkrunners are

Greebo likes this.
  17. Rushy

DogWalkerGate?

Greebo likes this.
  18. Up the junction

At the line up by the lido (at the start) someone insisted on walking his dog right through the whole start line from the front. He did it for a few weeks, people obv. moved out the way to let him through before finally there was a tweet about how unreasonable parkrun was. Next week it was filmed and the dog walker stopped

Greebo likes this.
  19. Up the junction

20. Rushy

As if that's not bad enough, I thoroughly object to being described as a jogger. :mad: :D

21. Up the junction

In my case 'jogger' is pretty fair, what I hate is 'fun run(ner)'.

22. Dexter Deadwood

I think the OP question has been answered.
    Can we agree a dedicated thread for Brockwell & local parkrun be created?

Smick, Greebo and gaijingirl like this.
  23. kl8041

kl8041 Member

We could resuscitate this old thread?

Incidentally I really enjoyed the Dulwich parkrun last weekend as a break from BP while the Found festival was on, but I managed to forget my barcode, so I've technically still never set a time anywhere other than BP :-/

Greebo, brixtonblade and leanderman like this.
  24. brixtonblade

Bet it was a good time too, nice and flat

Might go tomorrow but my knee is a bit fucked so a little hesitant

Greebo likes this.
  25. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

I showed up in my running gear, only to find no Parkrun. So I did the run anyway and then went home. So it was another Parkrun for me but no time!

26. BoxRoom

BoxRoom Flip.

Going to be aiming to do the parkrun at some point this year. Only just started running so a way off yet.

brixtonblade likes this.
  27. brixtonblade

Good luck.

Have you got yourself a plan?

BoxRoom likes this.
  28. BoxRoom

BoxRoom Flip.

A vague one at the moment. Just getting used to running right now, taking it slow and easy as much as I can. Once I can comfortably run around Myatt's Fields Park then I can start planning properly from there.

29. brixtonblade

That's pretty sensible
    If you think you might like something a bit more structured to guide you then there are good "couch to 5k" (or c25k) plans online

30. BoxRoom

BoxRoom Flip.

Aye, they've been recommended to me, definitely on my radar. Cheers :)