1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How far is it round Brockwell Park?

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Mrs Miggins, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Dexter Deadwood

Dexter Deadwood Left Voluntarily Enforced Holiday Banned

I'll take a look at it, give it a trial run.
    You can also run against your PB on the app i use; that's a standard function.

Yeah I like the Nike interface as well, my opening approach was to hate it but I can't; I use it and it works and it does not offer more functions for a price. The price is free.

2. Dexter Deadwood

Dexter Deadwood Left Voluntarily Enforced Holiday Banned

I love music when I run an I still love these guys but they didn't need to do this but they had to because they were being exploited at the time.
    They were absolute beginners.

Greebo likes this.
  3. Rushy

Rushy igam ogam

These apps are pretty cool and I might give a couple of them a go. I have to admit that these days I usually prefer running without anything. Not even a stop watch. I just focus on enjoying the run (or trying to, some days).

Funny how your flow, for want of a better word, changes from one day to the next. Last week on Parkrun I was in pieces. Leanderman caught me having to walk up near the tennis courts. This week felt so much smoother and I was 30 places and 70s faster.

Greebo, Up the junction and Smick like this.
  4. leanderman

leanderman Street Party: July 2

You looked a lot more comfortable today.

Greebo and Up the junction like this.
  5. Rushy

Rushy igam ogam

And I didn't swear in front of your daughter.:oops:

6. Rushy

Rushy igam ogam

I noticed were four bobbies along the route. I wonder if that was anything to do with the recent complaints.

7. leanderman

That's my job

8. Up the junction

Up the junction Banned Banned

Pretty sure most of the time it depends on the fuel you're using and what's in the tank at the start of a run .... if you didn't drink on Friday and had a single slice of toast plus half a banana before 08:15 and then coffee you should have a good run. A few pints and a fatty takeaway and no breakfast = disaster.

Obv. most of the time we're somewhere between the two but fuel is generally considered the variable you can sort out, and also the one that can affect you the most.

Having said that, a friend of mine was trying to get sub 50 for her 10K for 18 months, went out got hammered, lunchtime next day thought she'd better got for a run and went 2 1/2 min faster than in her entire life - not fuel with her, she was so *relaxed* her hip position was different ... and finally correct.

Mostly though, it is about fuel.

Rushy likes this.
  9. Rushy

Rushy igam ogam

I'm never out of bed on time to eat before a morning run. I'm just happy if I can find all of my kit.

10. Up the junction

Thus the variability ;)

11. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

It can be a sign that youre coming down with a bug too

12. gdubz

gdubz Hashtaggin'

If I get into a "routine" of running more than 4 days in a row I get ill - current incarnation is a stomach bug, in case you're interested....

13. gdubz

gdubz Hashtaggin'

Yes jimmy

Up the junction likes this.
  14. gdubz

gdubz Hashtaggin'

(Sos wrong thread)

15. brixtonblade

thats odd - would figure it'd be joints or muscles that'd be iffy although I guess if theyre long runs then you could be wearing yourself out

16. leanderman

Some days you just can't run properly, smoothly. It's weird.

I like the fuel argument.

I've now given up on trying to beat 20mins for 5km.

Focusing on the same target for (gym) rowing instead.

Greebo likes this.
  17. brixtonblade

247,069 people entered the ballot for next year's London marathon

If you dont get in you could do 13 laps of Brockwell Park instead

Smick, Greebo, gaijingirl and 2 others like this.
  18. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

How many get to run? I've put an application in. I paid the £39, with a donation to Teenage Cancer Trust, in the hope I'll have a better chance of selection.

13 laps of the park doesn't sound so bad, but ten in 28 minutes usually kills me.

19. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

I'm considering Belfast if I don't get selected for London. I'll be 40 next year so I reckon it's a good thing to fulfill my ambition before my birthday.

20. Up the junction

Fwiw, a lot of people like Brighton if London doesn't work out (sorry but it won't). Usually 2 weeks before London in the calendar. Can't help you on Belfast.

21. brixtonblade

I think there are 15-20k ish spaces in the ballot. So it is a long shot.

There are lots of charities with spaces if you plan to get sponsored.

Brighton is a good alternative as because it is near the time of London it's easy to find people to train with.

22. leanderman

I don't understand this marathon craze.

Probably because I am too lazy to do one.

23. Up the junction

17,000 ran via the ballot this year.

24. Rushy

Rushy igam ogam

That's more than I thought.

25. brixtonblade

Character building

26. leanderman

If only they would keep quiet about it!

27. Up the junction

It's not just marathons it's all endurance based sport. Go for a swim in the lido at this time of year and it's difficult to not talk to someone doing the Dart 10k or swim up and down the Arun. Triathlon is everywhere. Look on Runnersworld and 10k and half runs are ten a penny ... Look at the numbers running around Brockwell and Clapham Common - there are so many out running every night looks like an event is on.

Growth in female running is astonishing.

leanderman and Greebo like this.
  28. Rushy

Rushy igam ogam

I've really noticed this.

29. leanderman

Haha!

Yet, at the same time, we have record obesity levels.

Which leads on to other reasons for jogging's popularity, including that you can do it solo, no need for a team, opposition or equipment; it suits our alienated, 'bowling alone' culture.

Also, jogging gives non-sporting people the chance to pretend they are being sporting, which it isn't, by my mean-spirited definition.

30. Rushy

Rushy igam ogam

What are you saying?:mad::mad::D