1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How far is it round Brockwell Park?

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Mrs Miggins, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins Trainee Kiwi

Hello!

Anyone know how far it is around the Brockwell Park? Just decided to start running round the path that goes closest to the permiter and wonderd how far it was. Didn't make it all the way last night but am going to work on it!!

Cheers

2. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

3. kyser_soze

kyser_soze Hawking's Angry Eyebrow

4. walkssoftly

walkssoftly Well-Known Member

For some reason I find running round the park clockwise a lot harder!!:confused:

5. beeboo

beeboo geek chic

I think the hills are more gradual that way round - anti-clockwise there's one steep bit and then a long gentle down hill, whereas you're on a gradient for a greater proportion of the time when you're running clockwise.

Smick likes this.
  6. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins Trainee Kiwi

I was wondering about that! I've been going clockwise (starting from the back of the Tesco garage) and getting back up that bit of hill almost kills me. Gonna try the other way round next time!

Thanks all.

Migs

7. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

Mapmyrun.com is great for finding out how far you've run.

Keep at it - I can run round Brockwell Park twice now. 4.5 miles if you count the distance to and from the park as well.

And I always go anti-clockwise as well!

8. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins Trainee Kiwi

Twice!! Blimey I didn't make it once without stopping - mind you, I've never been a runner and it was my first attempt.

How long did it take you to be able to get round twice Ms T?

9. walkssoftly

walkssoftly Well-Known Member

in my younger days I could do a circuit of the park in 18 minutes..it now takes me 24 :(

10. brixtonvilla

brixtonvilla should be Oslovilla, really

Also good for mapping runs:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

Have a few good routes starting in/around Brockwell Park, mapped on here, pm me if anyone wants any of them...

11. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins Trainee Kiwi

Thanks BV - at the moment, I just wanna get round once without stopping :D

12. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

You're right-footed, I'd guess?

13. CharlieAddict

CharlieAddict nekomimi rocks!!!

i love jogging through brockwell park :cool:

14. pootle

pootle little moran

I go clockwise...although not for a while! Need to get back into it. My love handles are getting larger :oops:

Running is so ace for shaping up though. Handy thinking time too.

15. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins Trainee Kiwi

How much do you think you need to do to see a change in shape Pootle?

16. Donna Ferentes

Donna Ferentes jubliado

???

17. beeboo

beeboo geek chic

OK, you're running on an UPWARD gradient for longer. :p

Clockwise - long steady up hill followed by short steep downhill.

Anti - short steep uphill followed by long steady downhill.

Personally I find condensing the uphill into a short burst easier to deal with than slogging up a slight gradient for longer. :)

18. Ms T

I started around at the beginning of this year. I did the beginner's programme from Runner's World, then just built up gradually. If you've never run before, it's not surprising that you couldn't do a whole circuit of the park. Running is hard - especially when there are hills!

19. beeboo

beeboo geek chic

Brockwell Park is always a surprisingly difficult run, I must say.

20. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins Trainee Kiwi

You're not kidding!! :eek: :D

I already cycle to work and I try to swim but it's clearly not hard enough exercise to shift the flab - running is my next flab-fighting experiment!

21. top_biller

top_biller a big bowl of wrong

I go clockwise, starting and finishing about 100 yards past the Lido on Dulwich Road, it's a good run with the hills and all. 16 mins on a good day, although apparently it's better for you to run slower...

On a sunny morning it's great looking down into central London from right at the top.

22. Ms T

Blimey that's good. I reckon it takes me just under twenty or so - mind you, it's getting quicker.

23. Ms T

Running is great for fighting the flab, and you get nice legs from it too!

24. Ms T

That makes me feel better! I only ever run round Brockwell Park but I can't help but think I'd be storming along on a flat course.

25. CharlieAddict

CharlieAddict nekomimi rocks!!!

it is a hard run!!
    i tend to go slow on this one cos if i push myself, me shins start to hurt!

26. beeboo

beeboo geek chic

Before the lido closes for summer I want to do a "triathlon" - cycle to Lido, run one lap of park before jumping in the pool. :)

27. beeboo

beeboo geek chic

If you wanted a change of scene (depending where you're starting), running down to Dulwich Park, doing a lap and then running back would probably be a similar distance to two laps of the park, and be almost entirely flat.

I hate doing laps of anything - lovely as the parks are.

28. top_biller

top_biller a big bowl of wrong

When I started I was on about 19 or something. There's no point running it flat out, it's a jog not a sprint.

Actually, I must qualify my route. At the bottom of the back hill I cut through the pond bit then run up to the tennis courts (I always sprint that hill flat) then down the hill to the gate. Not sure how that affects the distance but many a time I've been behind runners who go straight on round and end up in front of me still, so I think it's a bit longer.

Incidentally, what time are you lot out? I'm about 7.30 to 7.50am. We might be passing each other!

29. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins Trainee Kiwi

That looks good - thanks for the tip :)

30. Termite Man

Termite Man zombie flesh eater

If you want to find out how far you run use this website . It's also good for cycle routes etc. too

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

I make 1 circuit of brockwell park to be 2.7644km

edit bollocks someone got there first :mad: