How do you perceive music?

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by ska invita, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Enviro

Enviro Make your assessment

I think the left right thing is partly to do with working with sequencers, audio recording and perhaps sheet music?

Music is essentially a language and we read from left to right so that might have something to do with it too?

2. Orang Utan

Orang Utan razzed up on scrumpy and injustice

Aye, but not sure what it has to do with how most people experience it

William of Walworth likes this.
  3. Enviro

Enviro Make your assessment

Well most people read. I think perceiving music is similar to processing language. Reading always happens in one direction therefore a sense of directionality could be felt when perceiving music.

But that's a bit speculative. In a more tangible sense, music can take you on a journey. Journeys always have some direction which can be very straight forward or convoluted. I think music can conjur similar senses of direction.

4. Sea Star

Sea Star have you ever explored your dark side?

since i've been mediating to music i see it as a vividly coloured and detailed landscape that I'm navigating through - it is mostly space but the parts that make up the music all exist discretely within that space. Once I'm in that state I can't really hear the music any more, just all the parts separately. is that unusual?

5. xenon

xenon A move in any direction

For me, the peception of left right / front back is as simple as being suggested by the placement of those sounds in the mix. The colours and shapes come after that.

Tangentily I heard a great tutorial on some audio software by a professional sound designer recently. He made this 3d sound from scratch, using a sign wave generator, various effects, multiband frequency processing etc. Ended up sounding like some weird vehicle coming towards you, then disappearing down a hole at the last minute. I've always been intrigued by the possibilities of virtually sculpting with sound and this gave me a clue as to how it can be done.

Enviro likes this.
  6. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

you're someone who has experience a lot of dance music high...does your perception of the music not change compared to more sober states? can you describe any of the differences in perception, particularly in extreme peak experiences?

7. Orang Utan

Orang Utan razzed up on scrumpy and injustice

I don't know. It means something when it happens, but recalling it and analysing it seems an impossibility.
    I don't think it's possible to accurately describe listening to music retrospectively. It's how you experience it at the time.

8. S☼I

S☼I parading on your rain

Sometimes being able to recognise similar music is a pain. Earlier I was trying work out "Later tonight" by Pet Shop Boys on piano, and the lyric "dresses like the mod" is the exact same tune as "dawns a brand new morn" from When a Child Is Born, which in turn shares a musical phrase from "Que Sera Sera", the opening lyric of which is the same tune as the start of "Here's where the story ends" by The Sundays.

littleseb and SpookyFrank like this.
  9. High Voltage

High Voltage In the top 97% of Urban's most interesting posters

10. girasol

girasol Ubuntu

some music really does feel just like energy/electricity urging my body to move to the rhythm. other kinds feel like flying/floating but more in my head than my body.

Playing music feels more concentrated on my chest/core area, but that's because that's the area creating the music, I guess. Closing my eyes when I play is something I like to do when I know the song/pattern well as it feels very different.

8ball likes this.
  11. dialectician

dialectician The Main Enemy is at home.

A lot of it is inbetween states for me. not sad but not purely bubblegum happy. not purely metallic but not pure liquid either. not pure coriographed dance but not pure military regimentation, something looser and more improvisatory. I like to (in my head) go between the notes of the music and then add the notes back in, like an exercise of reduction to expansion. this is why I eventually got turned off progressive metal. not enough room for the mind to fill in negative space, that and it too much of it turns into bourgeois alpha male fantasies.

The Armenian composer Udi Hrant who was based in Turkey was probably the best exponent of my listening in an academic context, that and a lot of the early electronic music.

In less academic forms obviously 92-94 hardcore-jungle, and the hard bop of art blakey, clifford brown/roach etc etc. Also really into JB and Maceo Parker live for that kind of maximalism-v-minimalism, and of course rob hood type minimal techno, not forgetting mantronix at his peak. Also like quite a lot of 80s and 90s ragga (general degree, terror fabulous, sugar minott, bounty killer etc) which i guess they call dancehall now in PC circles, but I always like to call it ragga so there. I'm not big on lyrics.

But also you can do the negative space thing if you go pretty fast, like in detroit electro.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  12. dialectician

dialectician The Main Enemy is at home.

It actually took me quite a lot of time to realise this, hence in my teenage years i jumped all over the place from happy hardcore to in a silent way era miles to Ramones to Opeth to Eurodance and even King Crimson.

13. S☼I

S☼I parading on your rain

I was just listening to a live Sigur Ros song on YouTube and there's a huge buildup followed by an explosion of sound, and I felt it physically. Like a gut punch and a whole body shiver all at once. And then I burst into tears.