Question How do I sort this storage space issue out (Droid/S7)?

Discussion in 'mobiles, tablets and wearable tech' started by Throbbing Angel, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Throbbing Angel

Throbbing Angel Gabba Gabba-pentin

Screenshot 2018-12-08 at 18.31.26.png
    Samsung S7 - 32gb internal storage which is nearly full
    Has a 64gb card installed
    Photos and music/audio/video are already saved to the card automagically
    So that 92% is all apps I suppose (possibly Kindle books too?)

How do I shift sruff to the card without wiping the card or using another as temp storage.

I know there is some way of making the phone treat the card as internal storage

explains appreciated :)

2. editor

editor hiraethified

Throbbing Angel likes this.
  3. Throbbing Angel

cheers editor - I'll have a look at that this tonight

4. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

On current versions of Android I believe you have to reformat your sd card if you want to use it for apps as well. Though I had this problem on one particular brand of tablet a couple of years ago so fingers crossed they've got round that now.

5. Throbbing Angel

Aye- that's what I wanted to [use sd card as internal storage]do but Samsung have removed that facility

6. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Well then just click on the apps one by one in settings and if they say 'move' you can move them and if they don't you can't. Most bundled or system apps won't move. Might want to try going through old files and see what's using up space instead.

Throbbing Angel and editor like this.
  7. Throbbing Angel

20181209_090456.jpg

Moved a load, deleted a few.
    Improved the situation but not as much as I thought it would.
    Will look into this in more detail later.
    Cheers both.

8. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Seagull + Chips = Happy Seagull

I've had a lot of hassle with a new 256GB card - the phone would recognise it fine, and store app data on there but it wouldn't allow me to download stuff like pictures of podcasts. I've unmounted and remounted it and it seems to be working - for now at least.

9. Throbbing Angel

FYI
    You can't have/use/create widgets for apps that have been moved to the card.

10. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Seagull + Chips = Happy Seagull

I think it might be due to some security feature on the phone. It was fine downloading about 100 podcast episodes, but when I let the phone lock the screen it stopped and threw up an error about the SD card not being mounted. So I've ejected the card and remounted it and it is working again. So it looks like I'll have to do the eject/remount cycle on a regular basis.

Throbbing Angel likes this.
  11. Throbbing Angel

Aye - probably a security thing - I'd rather be able to use widgets wherever are an app is located, though. Or do the 'use as internal storage' thing as I've seen on my older phones.

Ho Hum
    21st Century problem innit :)

12. Throbbing Angel

Since I did this (above) I occasionally get better out icons for apps that have move to the card. What's that all about? :confused:

It's resolved by deleting and replacing and the app still works from the Apps page.

Kindle did it in this example. Any ideas?
    20181229_122134.jpg