How do I express this promotion in my CV/LinkedIn?

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Cloo, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Cloo

Cloo Surfeit of lampreys

So, very nicely, my manager has created a senior editor role for me, basically as I've been there a whole and she wanted me to have somewhere to 'go' from it, and it starts tomorrow. At the mo, the extra responsibilities are fairly minor, mostly in terms on mentoring a new editor and shadowing my manager a bit for stuff so I can take over when she's not around.

I'm not sure what to do when changing my CV/LinkedIn to reflect this, given the role is effectively not changed much. Do I just change my job title? Put 'Editor March 2013-June 18', 'Senior editor July 18 -' ? and adapt slightly my job description/achievements below

That's easily done on CV, I suppose, harder on LinkedIn without making it look like a whole new job, but maybe I can just describe my Editor role very briefly and use the longer version under Senior Editor?

Badgers likes this.
  2. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

My CV and linkedin profile are almost completely the same. A bit redacted on LinkedIn but that's it.

Thimble Queen and Cloo like this.
  3. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat for the workers' breakfast

On a traditional CV you could handle this like

Chester Perry Organisation 2013 - current

Senior Editor 2018 to present, duties A, B, C

Editor 2013 - 2018, duties D, E, F

Other organisation XXXX - 2013

blah blah

No idea how I'd do it on Linkedin - I did try it and left within a week.

Cloo likes this.
  4. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

You can do it on LinkedIn, I did it when my job title changed a few years ago. I think there is a way to add a new role under your current employer.

Thimble Queen and Cloo like this.
  5. Cloo

Cloo Surfeit of lampreys

Thanks, will look into that. Need to wait until it's officially announced tho, which means waiting for HR to update system.

6. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

As far as any future employer is concerned, it is a whole new job. Why undersell yourself?

Cloo likes this.
  7. MadeInBedlam

MadeInBedlam Arm the mentally ill

Through the medium of dance

8. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

I once worked with a chap who was adventurous and did all sorts of things, including a class on interpretative dance. He portrayed one of the project meetings using interpretative dance once, and it was hysterically good. I still miss working with him.

AnnO'Neemus, Cloo and MadeInBedlam like this.
  9. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat for the workers' breakfast

if miming going to sleep would suffice, i might manage that...

equationgirl likes this.