How did your Xmas travelling go?

Discussion in 'transport' started by Spymaster, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Hellsbells

Hellsbells World's best procrastinator

Typically though, my first real venture out of the house and back to work today, I skidded on the ice & fell off my bike within 5 minutes :rolleyes::(

2. andysays

andysays Defiantly non-premium member

Sorry to hear that.

Was it a Xmas bike? When out for a walk on Boxing Day, my GF and I played a great game of "spot the Xmas bike".

3. Hellsbells

Hellsbells World's best procrastinator

:D no.
    It's just very icy here but evil hidden ice you can't actually see. Should have listened to the news before leaving home as they had a list of roads closed to buses due to ice - the one I cycled down and fell off was number 1 on the list :mad:

4. Leafster

Leafster From the FRow

I had a straightforward two hour drive to the Cotswolds on Christmas Day morning but it took four hours to get back on Boxing Day. :(

Driving back from the town centre yesterday lunchtime I spotted a very wobbly cyclist coming towards me on a narrow stretch of road. I slowed to a crawl just in case and just before I got to them they fell against a parked car! I suspect it was a Christmas bike :D

5. DotCommunist

DotCommunist specter haunting

there were no buses running on boxing day which was a pain in the testes

6. andysays

andysays Defiantly non-premium member

good spot and well anticipated

7. xenon

xenon Radical efficiencies

Train back to Bristol half hour late. Had to go Clapham Junction, Reading because Paddington is shut andRMT industrial action. Otherwise not too bad.

8. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

Got rid of my car on Dec 15th, which gave me a nice excuse to stay home for Xmas and pack my OH off to her parents on the train. :thumbs:

I was pissed off with London Overground not running any services on Boxing Day, which made coming back late from Finchley Road take an hour by tube and bus, rather than the 20 mins it does otherwise on the overground.

9. pinkmonkey

pinkmonkey 2.4 hour party person

Bad choice of day yesterday for a National Express coach - the snow had been cleared from the M1 by the time I got onto it but the coach journey took 5 hours instead of 3. I still have to make my return.

10. geminisnake

geminisnake a complex mass of conflicting ideas

The post I put on fb on xmas day :D

I think I can safely say that is the quietest drive back fae Aberdeen EVER!! We were the only car on the road til just before Laurencekirk, Deny reckons he's not seen the road that quiet since it opened [​IMG] (early 80s?)
    It was great!!

A380, Bahnhof Strasse and passenger like this.
  11. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

Hunky dory Spymaster nice of you to ask.

Llandeilo to Woodford Green, M4 M25, no problems there or back (240 miles door to door) if you disregard the ice on the brakes when we left to come home. Stupid stop in Bridgend Designer Outlet, for zero results, aside.

Woodford Green to Clapton on the 27th is another matter, fuck the Lea Bridge Road and all it stands for.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    Spymaster and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  12. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

Came out here on the 22nd (Friday), usual chaotic rushed exit before the on street parking charges kick in at 8:30. EC1 to Jn19 M5 in under 3hrs including a service stop, fastest we'd ever done it, A40 cutting across to A4/M4 at Acton. A couple of short 50mph roadworks bits, bit of congestion around Almondsbury (variable limit got as low as 40mph briefly). Think being forced to leave that early helped.

Still have the return leg to go, which is always shit.

13. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Seagulls are cunts

That's the post-Christmas travelling spirit :thumbs:

A380 likes this.
  14. A380

A380 How do I change this 'custom title' thing then?

My Christmas traveling? It did seem to take light years of time. But then I was coming from a long way from here. When I arrived was able to park directly over the village. And then just followed a light and walked to my final destination.

Trouble was when I finally arrived there were lots of people just going ‘la, la la la, la la la, la la la’ a lot. It got quite annoying TBF.

Then this fucking kid with a drum turned up.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    existentialist likes this.