1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did your Xmas travelling go?

Discussion in 'transport' started by Spymaster, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

We drove from London to Cheshire on Saturday, about 190 miles door to door. We contemplated taking the train but were loaded with food and presents and I didn't fancy the drive on xmas eve so we left home at 0630 the day before. Out of London and on the M1 by 0645 and knocking on my SiL's door in Wilmslow at 1015 after a half hour break at Norton Canes. That's probably about as fast as you can reasonably expect to make that journey without being silly. Coming back yesterday was another matter.

We left at 1130 and got home at 1900! The snow in the Midlands created havoc on the M1 so I tried dropping down the A43 through Towcester and Silverstone to the M40. Big mistake. Everyone else had the same idea and we just got caught at the end of the A43 for an hour. The M40 was reasonably clear into London but by then the damage was done. We did stop twice, probably for 1.5 hours in total but it was still a pretty brutal journey.

Anyone else get caught by the weather?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    A380 and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  2. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

Awesome. Drove to Anglesey for Xmas and back to London down the A5 through Snowdonia which was one of the best drives I have done. Roads quiet, surface great.

Voley, Bahnhof Strasse and Spymaster like this.
  3. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

didn't travel anywhere so it went pretty well tvm

A380, moomoo, neonwilderness and 2 others like this.
  4. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

The A5 is a great drive if it's clear. What time were you on it?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  5. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Well-Known Member

Flew into Stansted last night. A mere five hours late. Then they couldn’t find any stairs to let us off so another 45 mins on the tarmac. Then my driver had decided to hang around for the full 6 hours resulting in me being forced to tip him 20 quid as a mark of ‘gratitude’. What kind of idiot lurks around that long?

Stansted. As usual, I say never again. But I always seem to end up using it again.

A380 likes this.
  6. Poi E

About 1330 on Boxing Day. It had cleared and the mountains were bathed in afternoon glow. Closed in again as we headed to Shropshire.

Spymaster and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  7. At home Xmas day, Boxing Day an hour delay cos a crew member's child was taken ill and they needed a replacement at the very last minute. Once that person arrived the air-bridge wouldn't retract, so another hour's delay whilst they sorted that out. Had no connections to make that evening, so meant two extra hours glugging fine champagne and then Johnnie Walker Blue Label, which was a bind...

geminisnake, moomoo, marty21 and 2 others like this.
  8. BoatieBird

BoatieBird Well-Known Member

You passed within spitting distance of my house yesterday Spymaster, you could have popped in for cuppa (and made your journey even longer :D).
    I managed to go from Northants to Milton Keynes and back again yesterday with no problems at all.

Spymaster likes this.
  9. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Well-Known Member

Small bottles of Peroni were 5 euros in Rome. I feel Ryanair should repay me for that. Then I was forced to neck half a bottle of scotch once I made it in the door to recover. Could have been worse though. Some poor folk were forced to sleep on the floor all night I understand.

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  10. ffsear

ffsear Well-Known Member

3 Hours to get from Cheltenham Spa to Paddington this morning..

Normally you get one of these...

[​IMG]

But this piss stinking piece of shit turned up instead!!

[​IMG]

11. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Flew to Madrid with BA stupidly early on Xmas eve- nice and on time. On the flight back to London the tug that was pushing the plane back from the gate broke down before it had detached itself from the nose gear; then the plane itself developed a mechanical issue and returned to the gate for checks. At the end we were some two hours late, but I actually didn't mind much as BA was using a 767 configured for long haul for the flight, and we got premium economy seats, which are far roomier than even Club Europe on any European flight. And they had the full compliment of long haul inflight entertainment, so we got to watch a movie as well. I love it when BA uses widebodies on European flights.

We were in the last premium economy row, and all the folks behind had the standard economy seats. We were lucky: the original seats BA alocated us were further back, but I picked the furthest forward seats available when I checked in, simply because it'd be quicker to disembark. The 767 on the outbound flight was not configured for long haul, so the premium economy seats were a nice surprise. Moral of the story: always choose your seats as near to the front as possible, at least with legacy airlines.

12. Heard it went tits up there, no pleasant for them poor sods.

A380 likes this.
  13. We had that from Glasgow to London, Frau Bahn and the kids went in Club World, I gracefully took the economy seat; beer, paper, no annoying kids, just peace and quiet...

marty21, Poi E and T & P like this.
  14. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Olly Murs is a cock

Journey from London to Dorset yesterday took over 5hrs not 3 like usual, and I got a puncture too :mad:

Bahnhof Strasse and Spymaster like this.
  15. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Oh yes... those in Club Europe on our plane also got a nice surprise as they got Club World seats.

16. Poi E

How retro.

17. twentythreedom

Fortunately the lay by I pulled into had an RAC truck already there, so i asked him nicely if he'd assist with his full size jack and wheel gun, which he kindly did. Bunged him a score for his efforts and was back on the road in ten min :thumbs:

Poi E, A380, Dogsauce and 4 others like this.
  18. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow daft apeth

Travelling went fine - only ten feet or so between living room and bedroom.

geminisnake, clicker, T & P and 4 others like this.
  19. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Were you already a member or did he sign you up?

twentythreedom likes this.
  20. twentythreedom

I am a member. He did say that they were so busy it was 3hr waits for assistance :eek:

I could've done it myself with the crappy car jack and tools but I'm a big believer in 'getting a man in' with the correct tool for the job :thumbs:

Poi E, A380, geminisnake and 3 others like this.
  21. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Absolutely. I don't mind changing a wheel in the summer daylight with plenty of space around me. In the winter, in a dark layby, the AA get a call but my motor's wearing run-flats at the moment. :p

twentythreedom likes this.
  22. Hellsbells

Hellsbells World's best procrastinator

Travelling went pretty well. I made it from my bed to the bathroom, sofa and kitchen without too much trouble. The stairs were a bit of an obstacle though and I did nearly fall over the cat.

geminisnake, moomoo, bimble and 6 others like this.
  23. SheilaNaGig

SheilaNaGig Struggling and striving

A380 and twentythreedom like this.
  24. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

Croydon to Bulgaria.
    Quite painless despite having to get up at 2am. It's nice to be only 15minutes from Gatwick. Our 1 hour 30 cab ride from Sophia to the ski resort was a comfy bus just for the three of us. Plenty of time for a snooze.
    No delays.

25. neonwilderness

neonwilderness What would Badgers do?

I walked to my parents and back to Christmas Day and then to Aldi and back today, about a mile in total without any issues :thumbs:

I'm planning a drive either into Northumberland or the Lake District at some point before the new year which may be more problematic :hmm:

26. The Audi jack is very good at removing the skin from your knuckles, should you be fed-up with it being attached to you and that.

A380 and twentythreedom like this.
  27. andysays

andysays Defiantly non-premium member

I was about to say I managed to get a bus home late night Xmas Eve without any problems, but you seem to have done even less travelling than me :thumbs:

Hellsbells likes this.
  28. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Romford to Neasden and back again yesterday on public transport but with TFL rail down and with a 75 year old, a nearly 8 month pregnant woman and a toddler. I basically had to carry everything. The toddler nearly went totally apeshit on the central line stretch of the journey till I turned her round and she noticed the 'big head' effect of looking at her reflection in the curved glass and spent ten minutes cackling like a maniac.

Spymaster likes this.
  29. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

That sounds worse than mine :D

30. Dieselpunk2000

Dieselpunk2000 Well-Known Member

Hey! There's nothing wrong with the 150! I love it's brutally functional design, windows you can open and the primal roar from those Cummins NT diesels. But then again, I'm a masochist!:D

ffsear likes this.