How dangerous is dry ice ?

Discussion in 'science, nature and environment' started by gentlegreen, Sep 13, 2018.

1. gentlegreen

gentlegreen sproutarian

Earlier today I took pity on a van driver because I was heading to the correct department later - which I did a couple of hours later.
    I had no idea what was in the package and there was no hazard label.

Turns out this is how you order dry ice...

Anyway - extreme example - small sealed room and you nod off while CO2 is slowly building up from below...

2. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Sweetcorn, Seagulls and Wasps are Brilliant!

Did you miss those public information films decades ago that warned about accepting gifts from strangers? :hmm:

A380, gentlegreen and Pickman's model like this.
  3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Yeh. Next time you go abroad I've a package I need taking to where you're going. I'll chuck you a score, OK?

4. 8ball

8ball Considerably more oppressed than yow

Dry ice isn’t particularly dangerous. Also, CO2 sets off your body’s alarm response so is a lot less dangerous than a simple lack of oxygen.

A380, NoXion and gentlegreen like this.
  5. bellaozzydog

bellaozzydog rolling turds in glitter

If you work in a sealed small room how do you breath

SpookyFrank and farmerbarleymow like this.
  6. Mrs D

Mrs D . Banned

1kg of dry ice gives about 0.5 cubic metres of CO2. A small 3M x 3M room would be about 20 cubic metres. That would give you about 2.5% CO2 for the sake of argument assuming the room is totally sealed. Twice this level (5%) is the 8-hour workplace exposure limit. However a sealed styrofoam box containing 1kg of dry ice will still have plenty left inside even after a day at room temperature, so the amount leaking out in 8 hours would be a lot less than this.

I suppose if you had a 10kg box of dry ice and taped yourself up inside a wardrobe, tipped the dry ice on the floor, and sat there for 24 hours you might be in difficulty.

A380, jontz01, existentialist and 9 others like this.
  7. Mrs D

Mrs D . Banned

If you've ever opened a fizzy drink and immediately inhaled a big lungful up your nose, as most kids do at some point, it basically tastes and feels like that.

gentlegreen and 8ball like this.
  8. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Sweetcorn, Seagulls and Wasps are Brilliant!

That sounds like a tory MP's idea of a kinky night in - probably with a crate of oranges and a bottle of poppers...

A380, Badgers, Celyn and 4 others like this.
  9. bellaozzydog

bellaozzydog rolling turds in glitter

\\\\\\SCIENCE///////

existentialist and gentlegreen like this.
  10. existentialist

existentialist Danced on by a twerking bee

Yeah, carbon monoxide's much naughtier.

Even so, it's probably quite a good idea to be cautious, in a practical, non-paranoid kind of way about dry ice.

As far as I know, there's no need to put hazard labels on small consignments of it.

gentlegreen likes this.
  11. HAL9000

HAL9000 Lasting Damage

I can't find the video at moment. There's a safety video on the internet by Dr Andrea Sella

[​IMG]

he puts some dry ice in bottle and then puts the bottle in a bin.

gentlegreen likes this.
  12. 8115

8115 sitting down is bad for you

I've got a parcel I need bringing back.

gentlegreen likes this.
  13. cheesethief

cheesethief Well-Known Member

Dry ice bombs are fun - get an empty 2 litre pop bottle, stick a few lumps of dry ice in it, a splash of water to speed things up a bit, screw the lid on tightly, weigh the bottle down with a weight and chuck it in the canal.

The explosions can be quite dramatic, more than enough to terrify the average dog walker.

gentlegreen likes this.
  14. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Or drop it in a festival portaloo.

So I’ve heard :hmm:

15. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

gentlegreen likes this.