1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How are we going to get rid of Hoey

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by ash, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Well-Known Member

LD will be taking a lot of votes from both. Shall we wait and see? There's a huge amount of anger out there over both parties' abject failure on Brexit. Do you live in the constituency yourself?

2. Southlondon

Southlondon The river's there for a reason

She also sacrificed her ministerial career when she voted against the Iraq war, joined corbyn in speaking and voting against the criminalisation of squatters, supported the short life tenants in their fight against eviction by Lambeth new labour council, for gay marriage, against ID cards, against the benefit cap, supports strong workers rights, against tuition fees. supported the tenants of the Ethelred estate when they were fighting the transfer of the estate out of council and is noted by huge numbers of residents for her accessibility, and willingness to fight their corner. Brexit is an issue that spanned the political spectrum, and without detracting from the importance of this issue, when voting for a candidate in Vauxhall weigh up the options. If Libs or greens weaken the labour vote the likely winner would be the Tories as it is in no way possible for either of them to close 20k votes for Hoey because of the strong personal vote she gets through her undeniable effective case work built up over 28 years. Then think who would you rather have negotiating Brexit cirbyn-led labour or may?
    Hoey would always be holding a minority Brexit position within the party, but her presence would help to educate the more mainstream labour politicians left and right, why swathes of labour voters were passionate leavers in the Labour heartlands further North.
    She also voted against the parties call for the 2nd leadership election when the blairites tried to topple him.
    How anyone can vote liberal knowing it was thanks to them we got Austerity, what do people think would happen if by some miracle they were king makers again? They'd jump straight back in with the Tories, tear up election promises like they did with tuition fees, and we would still get a Tory-led coalition. A Corbyn led labour government is a far more inviting proposition to me as a council tenant, and being on benefits, than another Tory or Tory/liberal coalition one, and voting for kate Hoey is a vote for a Corbyn government.

3. Reiabuzz

It's 12k votes, and the lib dems are well on course to overturn it. Sadly the only 'data' I have for that is by looking at the bookmakers sites which have LD and Hoey pretty much neck and neck - presumably because of her decision to campaign with noted bigot Nigel Farage last year. She, and her UKIP mates have put us in the absurd position of deciding between Teresa fucking May and the space cadet that is Jeremy Corbyn to negotiate our divorce from our main trading partner and deciding when and how to kick out the people who keep this country ticking over.

Her electorate was 80% remain and she completely ignored it. She has an atrocious voting record and has used her Twitter in the past to question why we should take any more Syrian refugees. I really do want such a person representing me in Westminster.

pseudonarcissus likes this.
  4. Reiabuzz

For some context, here are the key seats Remain are targeting.

Seats to attack
    Iain Duncan Smith
    Conservative
    Chingford and Woodford Green
    Majority: 8,386
    Campaigned for leave
    Estimated vote in constituency: 51% remain

Kate Hoey
    Labour
    Vauxhall
    Majority: 12,708
    Campaigned for leave
    Estimated vote in constituency: 78% remain

Theresa Villiers
    Conservative
    Chipping Barnet
    Majority: 7,656
    Campaigned for leave
    Estimated vote in constituency: 59% remain

Steve Baker
    Conservative
    Wycombe
    Majority: 14,856
    Campaigned for leave
    Estimated vote in constituency: 52% remain

James Berry
    Conservative
    Kingston and Surbiton
    Majority: 2,834
    Campaigned to remain, but accused of not speaking out against hard Brexit
    Estimated vote in constituency: 58% remain

Winot likes this.
  5. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

Says it all.

6. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

I have asked you this before. Is it just Corbyn you don't like or his left wing politics?

7. Gramsci

I agree with you about her commitment to housing and constituency work.

But her stance on Brexit was appalling. It was little different from UKIP. Anti Immigration. She didn't have anything to teach other Labour politicians. In my area. brixton /LJ which is still classified as a deprived area immigration is not an issue. She deserves criticism for the way she supported Brexit.

8. Reiabuzz

This is one of her classics in defence of her stance on stopping Syrian refugees coming in...

And the response from twitter. Makes Trump seem like a social media genius.

[​IMG]

9. Reiabuzz

You voted Brexit. That says it all. You're a fucking idiot.

10. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Hang on, syria is now a vote decider for you?

11. Reiabuzz

It's a brick in the wall, yes, butchersapron. Do you actually sit there all day hitting 'new posts' btw? :D

12. redsquirrel

And this is it, you can support partnerships with the Tories, increases in VAT, increases on HE fees, attacks on the welfare state, attacks on the poor, etc but so long as you support the EU (ignoring it's killings in Greece) you're a progressive!

13. butchersapron

How is syria a brick in the wall for you?

14. Reiabuzz

Her position on that is - do I actually need to spell that out for you?

15. butchersapron

Yes please.

16. Reiabuzz

What constituency do you live in butchersapron?

17. Southlondon

18. Southlondon

It's 22k +. They came 4th behind greens and Tories . It was the Tories that are 12 k behind

19. Gramsci

20. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

The Vauxhall notice of election candidates list is out. As well as Lib Dem, Con and Lab you have Green Party, Womens Equality Party and Pirate Party. Vauxhall candidates.jpg

21. Gramsci

With mixed feelings I want Hoey to be relected. Reading posts here I agree she has been an excellent constituency MP. I know this from people in Short Life housing who she has personally supported. Including turning up to attempted evictions to stop bailiffs. I seen her in action and been impressed.

She also has supported Corbyn.

Chuka Umunna and Helen Hayes vote no confidence in Corbyn with Kate Hoey backing the Labour Leader

Unlike ever so nice Helen Hayes and that tosser Cbuka.

Her stance on immigration and EU I don't like at all.

But given that as Buzz article shows, true to form, the Progress/ Blairite wing of party want her out, as she does not follow the true path I want her to stay.

22. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I think that as the only candidate living in St Katherine's Quay she has distinct bourgeois tendencies - notwithstanding her forthright views and workerist self-projection.

23. redsquirrel

The great progressive LibDems

Two-faced as usual. (thanks to Idris2002 for the image)

24. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Still trying to work it out.
    But this evening at 9 pm the Helen Hayes leaflet dropped on my doormat.
    "Vote Helen Hayes to stop the Tories' Hard Brexit"

Presumably in Dulwich and West Norwood YOU would be voting Tory! (since Labour, Lib Dem and Greens are all Remainers)

There is always Robin Lambert (Independent). Dissident UKIP? (aren't they all?)

25. redsquirrel

And there it is again - the EU is the only issue!

Increasing VAT - not an issue; income tax cuts that benefit the well off - not an issue; renationalising the rail service - not an issue; HE fees - not an issue; applying VAT to private school fees - not an issue.

I guess that Tony Benn and Bob Crow must have been Tories too. Utter crap.

Gramsci likes this.
  26. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Word reaches me of the hustings today in the churchyard of St Mark's Kennington (venue of the execution of Jacobite rebels in 1745).

Kate Hoey and George Turner were the only competent speakers, I was told.

The Tory candidate came out as a remainer and claimed her influence would be useful in moderating La May's BREXIT.

The Women's Equality Party candidate came out with a very old fashioned speech along the lines of "I come from a good family of professional people, and I myself am a barrister and would therefore be the best to serve you as my constituents"

No reports of the Green or Pirate speeches, so not sure if that was through want of attendance on their part or lack of memorable quirks.

As the old saying goes "It's a two horse race!"
    jacobites.jpg

27. redsquirrel

Well according to YouGov's model it's a one horse race and the LDs aren't even in second place. So as has been said a vote for the LDs means that it's more likely that Labour will lose (though it's safe enough that that isn't going to happen).

But then that's what the LDs want - keep Labour out!

28. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Obviously if Hoey lost it would be more likely that Labour would lose.

My own feeling is that if Theresa May lost her majority she and we would be in a 1974 situation. There would be a minority Labour government and another election in a few months. That is the best Labour can currently hope for.

You've already declared you are Labour and pro Brexit - why wouldn't you support Kate Hoey?

Meanwhile I believe George Turner is a good bet for people wanting their Remain views taken into account - and concerned about the architectural rape and social cleansing of the Vauxhall area (something Ms Hoey seems very low profile about).

Ol Nick and brixtonblade like this.
  29. redsquirrel

I'm not Labour I'm a communist. I'm not saying people should support Hoey I'm saying they shouldn't support a bunch of bastards that made the poor poorer and the rich richer, that are so bent they make the Tories look honest, that attacked the welfare state - and that if you support the LDs then that's precisely what you support

stethoscope likes this.
  30. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

What's your spin on the Greens then?

I know (in a professional capacity) a person who works in Lambeth's disability advice services and has been through memberships of several far left groups, but also standing as Green Party candidate in Vauxhall in 2010 en route.

Some time after this I met him and it was "Brighton Council are neo Nazis because they don't recognise union negotiating rights for dustmen etc etc." (according to him).

You are not the guy are you? Your persistent outlandish exaggeration make me suspect you are. My former work colleague had moved on to Left Unity when I last spoke to him. Is that Communist? Looks like it from their website. About Left Unity | Left Unity