Hot milky drink without milk?

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by Shirl, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

I now have almond milk to try on it's own and 'just add water' Horlicks that wolfie brought home having heard my mutterings last night :D

farmerbarleymow and Vintage Paw like this.
  2. kalidarkone

kalidarkone Up to my knees in amniotic fluid

Mulled wine?
    Or cider.....

3. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

I don't drink alcohol these days :D

4. nuffsaid

nuffsaid But this goes up to 11

I drink a lot of this. You can just add hot water, I use a 50/50 water/milk mix but it doesn't have to be with milk.

It's the closest I can get to have at home to a Chai Latte made by Starbucks, the absolute pinnacle of hot drinks, as far as I'm concerned.

[​IMG]

SpookyFrank likes this.
  5. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Driving without headlights

That stuff has milk powder in it but a vegan version (same brand, turquoise tub) does exist.

6. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

Hot milk gives me the heaves.

On the recommendation of people here and elsewhere, I tried Pukka's Night Time Tea last night. It was very nice (would be OK with a milk substitute IMHO) and while I still took a while to get off to sleep I felt as if I was more relaxed and slept more deeply.

The only thing was, the cat took a shine to it (devotees of the Daily Cat And Kitten News thread may be vaguely aware that this cat is so greedy he even goes after herbal tea).

He didn't just sniff it, he was trying to share my cup!

I think I will look at the contents for anything vaguely related to catnip.

farmerbarleymow likes this.
  7. mr steev

mr steev unkempt clacker

Chai can vary vastly imo. I wouldn't dismiss it on the basis of trying one drink :)

RubyToogood likes this.
  8. trabuquera

trabuquera Modesty Bag

There's chai and chai. IMHO, sickly sweet Starbucks-like (or any American style) chai with vanilla and too much cinnamon is abomination, but I glug down several mugs' worth of Palanquin (properly spiced teabags, with no extra sugar or milk powder added) chai a day. Never been to India but I reckon I'd smash my way through at least half-a dozen of those little raw-clay cups full per day if I got there.

oryx, mr steev and RubyToogood like this.
  9. Vintage Paw

Vintage Paw dead stare and computer glare

Valerian is a common herb for sleepy human drinks and pills, and it's also a common substitute for catnip. My cat isn't a fan of catnip, but really rather likes valerian-filled toys.

Miss-Shelf and oryx like this.
  10. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

Yes, I looked at the ingredients and suspected valerian.

It was a bit unnerving seeing Paddy go so crazy over herbal tea. I could understand is it was tuna!

Vintage Paw likes this.
  11. 8115

8115 sitting down is bad for you

I bought some of this this week. I really don't like it.

12. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

Tart cherry works wonders on elderly cats with bladder problems IME.

Also vaguely remember something about it being regarded as having all sort of health/tonic properties by Polish folk.

13. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

That sounds like farmerbarleymow :D

14. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow daft apeth

I don't know, it might be entertaining to watch pogofish try to feed a cat a tart cherry juice, coconut water, valerian tea, banana and almond milk smoothie. :D

pogofish likes this.
  15. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

She took the tart cherry quite surprisingly easily TBH but trying to get any sort of medication into her usually involves motorcycle gloves, or the risk of stitches.

Tonight she shared my hot chilli chicken and loved it..! :D

Shirl and farmerbarleymow like this.
  16. doodlelogic

doodlelogic arbitrary message here

Camp coffee with your choice of ‘malk’

17. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Sproutarian.

Hemp milk with added "hemp".

18. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

I’m surprised at the amount of people who consider Bovril or beef stock to be a ‘milky drink’.

gentlegreen likes this.
  19. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Valerian and chamomile don't work for everyone - they have zero effect on me. They certainly don't have the same effect as a couple of diazapam or a lungful of indica.

20. moose

moose like some cat from Japan

It hasn't got milk in, but a mug of apple juice, warmed up with a sprinkling of mixed spice, has a soporific effect on me.

21. porp

porp Well-Known Member

For a hot milky comforting taste without milk, recommend you try Sahlab - made from powdered orchid root. It is really delicious if you can get the real stuff. Unfortunately, the instant versions that are easy to find in Middle Eastern shops are bulked up with cornflour and too much rosewater (and possibly milk powder), so best to be choosy. Feel free to add as much pistachios and cinnamon (cf below) as you like, but none on mine, thanks.

upload_2018-2-12_2-4-39.jpeg

22. Epona

Epona I am Hououin Kyouma

I thought almond milk (and almond farming) was really environmentally catastrophic - a lot of the almonds grown for this use are in desert areas in California, and require massive amounts of water in areas that regularly suffer from drought... allegedly...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  23. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

I ended up ignoring the bit of milk included and bought myself some Horlicks and now I drink Horlicks every night before bed.

The younger me wouldn't have been able to roll her eyes fast or high enough at this turn of events :rolleyes::oops::D

24. trashpony

trashpony Never knowingly underawed

But does it help you sleep?