Hot milky drink without milk?

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by Shirl, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

Yes and no. Apparently it can aid those with a tryptophan deficiency.
    For everyone else then just the fact it’s warm is suggested as the reason it aids sleep.
    Whilst at the same time providing a reason (urination) to disturb your sleep later on in the night.

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Except the amount of people suffering tryptophan deficiency is extremely low and utterly irrelevant to this discussion. And if you did suffer from that condition, you'd be better off eating nuts and lentils anyway.

So it's no and no.

3. ElizabethofYork

ElizabethofYork Witchsmeller Pursuivant

If it's for insomnia, could you try camomile tea?

Not "milky", I'm afraid.

PippinTook and Shirl like this.
  4. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

I guess it's the milky bit that's tough. There are lots of herbal "sleepy" teas out there - I always have one before sleep (currently Pukka night time tea) and I spray the pillow with a "deep sleep pillow spray" sometimes which also seems to help, plus I wear an eye mask every night.

Hope you find something, not sleeping is shit.

5. Siouxsie

Siouxsie Fashionable objector with a uniform fetish

Horlicks made with Alpro unsweetened almond and coconut milk is lovely, but very addictive.

Also their almond and hazelnut milk just warmed up on it's own is very nice.

gaijingirl and MadeInBedlam like this.
  6. 2hats

2hats

Horlicks, ingredients: WHEAT Flour (46%) (contains Calcium Carbonate, Ferric Pyrophosphate, Niacin and Vitamin B1), Malted BARLEY (26%), Dried Whey (MILK), Sugar, Calcium Carbonate, Dried Skimmed MILK, Palm Oil, Salt, Vitamins (C, Niacin, E, Pantothenic Acid, B6, B2, B1, Folic Acid, A, Biotin, D, B12), Ferric Pyrophosphate, Zinc Oxide, May contain traces of Soyabeans

7. Siouxsie

Siouxsie Fashionable objector with a uniform fetish

Seeing it like that it doesn't look too good, sorry...I was going by "not entirely dairy free" bit.....there's still the almond and hazelnut one.....she says, trying not to look like a complete nutter :oops:

Shirl likes this.
  8. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Got a jar of this on the go at the moment :D

9. 2hats

2hats

Nuts are good for us (allergies aside).

Siouxsie likes this.
  10. ruffneck23

ruffneck23 Well-Known Member

camomile tea, will help you sleep too Soz not milky tho, should have read the op properly )

PippinTook and Shirl like this.
  11. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

Not as good as it used to be. When it reformulated to granules a few years back it ended up tasting more like Bovril than coffee. :(

12. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

I drink about four pints of camomile tea a day :D

ruffneck23 and ElizabethofYork like this.
  13. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

Like I just said above :D:D:D

14. ElizabethofYork

ElizabethofYork Witchsmeller Pursuivant

Wow! If I drink one cup of camomile tea it makes me sleepy!

PippinTook likes this.
  15. trabuquera

trabuquera Modesty Bag

Horchata (Spanish or Mexican almond milk) is what you are after. You can't buy it in the UK (in Spain it's usually sold cold, even iced, as a summer cooler - sometimes available in juicebox packages) but I did recently buy a jar of "almond jam" from a Spanish shop, which claimed you could make hot or cold horchata just by diluting a spoonful in water.

16. bellaozzydog

bellaozzydog Well-Known Member

Try an oat milk/turmeric chai latte (golden chai latte)

Loads of recipes out there

Turmeric, cinnamon, other shit mashed up with some coconut oil and plopped in a mug of hot oatmeal milk with a spoon of honey

mr steev likes this.
  17. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

Turmeric latte is gorgeous! I quite often make it with almond milk - not before bed though, usually after a cold water swim or similar. Very warming.

PippinTook likes this.
  18. PippinTook

PippinTook Well-Known Member

Chai tea is lovely but unless you're making it with milk it's not gong to be milky.

Bananas are great for helping one sleep...

Shirl likes this.
  19. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow daft apeth

That's what I thought. Putting some lavender oil on the pillow can help too.

PippinTook likes this.
  20. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

There's no way I'm drinking chai :eek: :D

My idea of having a milky drink is probably not one of my best ideas considering I don't like milk :rolleyes::facepalm: I just really feel at bedtime that I've drunk more than enough camomile tea throughout the day and evening I'd like something more comforting to sooth me into this imaginary deep sleep that I'd like.
    I'm lazy, I don't want to make an effort to do anything late at night. Messing about with turmeric and cinnamon would be my idea of too much hard work. :oops:

After reading all the posts so far I'm going to buy a few different dairy free milks and heat them to see if there's one I can just drink hot with nothing else added. :)

PippinTook likes this.
  21. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

Already got lavender oil :)

farmerbarleymow likes this.
  22. mrsfran

mrsfran Slightly less bulbous

How about miso?

Shirl likes this.
  23. Vintage Paw

Vintage Paw dead stare and computer glare

I love hazelnut milk, not so keen on oat milk. Alpro's hazelnut milk is sweet like cow's milk, I haven't seen an unsweetened version. I have it in my coffee, but I have cow's milk in my hot chocolate :D

MadeInBedlam, Badgers and Shirl like this.
  24. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

Miso is on my same 'no way' list as chai :D

25. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow daft apeth

Tart cherry juice apparently helps, according to the internet. As does coconut water, valerian tea, bananas and almond milk. I'd be tempted to blend them all together to see what happens. :hmm:

RubyToogood likes this.
  26. moonsi til

moonsi til worked it out now!

How about a mushroom chai latte?

Attached Files:

27. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

I hope you're not serious :D

campanula likes this.
  28. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

Let me know when you've tried it :rolleyes:

pogofish and farmerbarleymow like this.
  29. moonsi til

moonsi til worked it out now!

Totally serious and it meets your brief!

Shirl likes this.
  30. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

I'm not that adventurous when it comes to hot drinks :oops:
    I tried chai once and it instantly became a dirty word in our home. Latte similar and mushroom would make me think I was having soup at bed time :(