1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Horizon Zero Dawn

Discussion in 'gaming and consoles' started by Vintage Paw, Jun 16, 2015.

1. 8den

8den No I'm pretty sure that was 8ball...

Just did my first cauldron, surprisingly easy given all I'd heard, may kick difficulty up past normal.

2. Voley

Voley By Nature He Was Bendy

I've got it on Normal and I'm finding it tricky. Bit stuck on the battle at the end of 'The Proving' atm. Mind you, I'm used to wandering round Skyrim / Witcher 3 for hours on end doing nothing more taxing than incinerating the odd chicken.

Great game though. I played it for so long yesterday my contoller ran out of juice. Don't think I've ever been that immersed in a game before. It does take a bit to get going mind moon. I'd stick with it though.

Badgers likes this.
  3. 8den

That first battle was tricky for me, because I kept wandering into a rather vicious corrupted zone.

4. Voley

Voley By Nature He Was Bendy

Maybe that's what happened with me. Dunno though - I'm only just finding out about corruption now having defeated the 'demon' at the end of the level. I think it might just be that I'm a bit shit at all-guns-blazing fighting bits. I never really liked end of level bosses - I find the repetition of getting killed loads but finally finding a place to hide where you can repeatedly bomb something a bit crap. Which is how I did this one, eventually. Might go down to easy if I keep struggling.

Badgers likes this.
  5. 8den

The trick is preparation. I watched some videos online. Mad ideas. Like lay a bunch of traps and use a fire arrow to explode it when a big beast is close. And have laid a bunch of explosive trip wires in front of you so when they charge they hit them bang on. And before going in for the kill frost bomb the shit out of it. It weakens them. As I understand it you really have to hunt the big beast later on. Before you attack stalk them, lay traps and then taken them down.

http://kotaku.com/tips-for-playing-horizon-zero-dawn-1792826368

Voley likes this.
  6. 8den

Fuck me I just met my first thunderjaw!

[​IMG]

Voley likes this.
  7. 8den

It's really fucking tough. I mean really tough. Particularly after you leave the sacred lands. I've still not got a thunderjaw. But the key to most big heavies is weapons with a high tear factor. There are pressure arrows, they knock off components. For larger beasts, this is absolutely crucial. The Thunderjaw has about 4 different ranged attacks and a radar installation on it's back. Meaning it can find you if you are hidden, knock off the radar unit and some of it weapons and you can actually pick up some of its weapons to kill it.

Some tips.

If you're badly wounded and haven't achieved much reload from save will get you back its full health. It's really annoying that your health doesn't regen nor does saving giving you a full health bar. It may feel like The Witcher or Skyrim or any other fantasy game, but pausing seeing some snapjaws and deciding to kick their ass is a surefire way to get killed.

There are tutorial questions for each weapon. You need to access them in the quests menu. But they're easy XP.

Cauldrons do two things
    Great for resources and you learn how to hack bigger and scarier beasts each time.

Bandit camps are a good source of shards.

There's a golden travel pack available in the day tower and any merchants east of there. It's cheap and it gives unlimited fast travel. Crafting travel packs is a pain.

Never ever go into a fight with anything bigger than a sawtooth without a serious plan.

Run away. Most animals will stop tracking you after you leave their terrain.

Big long battles attract scavengers and other creatures.

Merchants require more than money for big ticket items, it could be lens, or a machine part, if you're short on anything, you can "create a job" putting a mini quest in your misc questions.

Voley likes this.
  8. ffsear

ffsear Well-Known Member

There seem to be soo many good open world games around at the moment. I'm playing the new Zelda, buy hoping to find time for this too.

9. 8den

just completed cauldren zeta the cauldren's aren't marked in any particular order but I've seen read the game guides and this is supposed to be one of the last cauldrens you takeover, it's an absolute bastard and took about half an hour as I was underequipped and didn't have the right weapons, but i now can override thunderjaws, tempted to try and find one at some point and wreck havoc.

10. 8den

Load of time off this week. I'm at about 70% play through. I'm @ lvl 39, I've completed one main quest, but the overall plot still isn't over. To be honest I've got loads of side quests (each time you find a largish settlement you'll see exclamation points indicating new side quests. I've not really bothered with them because the two main quests (the Shadow Carja and the secrets of Zero Dawn, are really interesting and engaging). I've climbed every tall neck, and cleared every cauldren.

There are niggles. Weapon swapping is really clunky. Having to restart from a save to regain health too. It's also annoying that when you pick up weapon mods it doesn't tell you what they are for. (but with the advantage if you're near a hunting spot, the prey will respawn). And it is bloody tough, but getting alot easier. I'm only now realising the importance of armour and having lots of outfits. The Carja desert warrior with some fire resistant mods is pretty much made of asbestos and vital when taking out bigger beasties.

Theres still some machines I've yet to tackle properly (rock breakers and wild thunderjaws). The hunting trials seem interesting but like anything in the game, there's a really steep learning curve, certain trials are impossible without the right kit and skills, and the game doesn't tell you what they are, you are to work out what to use yourself.

11. 8den

Level 40 and nearly finished and I'm tempted to go back and restart.

Mainly because I'm only now getting combat. I didn't realise how important armor was in the game, and how much easier alot of earlier encounters would have been had I used it. Also combat in general I'm just getting. I never used rocks until a while ago and they're crucial For hours of game time I ignored them, and they're amazing when a machine comes sniffing by you in the long grass, or you need to distract one while you . And how tooling up and really laying an ambush and looking not just at the machines you're targeting but also nearby machines that will be drawn to the combat. And how crucial targetted shots are. Also although the game seems sand boxy I've often found that following the quests and nearby quests often bring you where you ought to be at the right time. For example I hit the cauldrons and hunting grounds in the wrong order. Also it's useful to do side quests and hunting grounds as when you come across them. But again some hunting ground challenges are literally impossible before you've acquired the right weapons/skills. I charged around to willy nilly when instead the games' plot encourages exploring but offers a really steady guiding hand to lead you on the way.

The game has a really steep learning curve. the way it explains element damage and critical hits is at best too quick, and the complicated weapons system is poorly explained. But the storyline and game are amazing. So I'm tempted to restart on hard.