Hong Kong: what next?

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by treelover, Jul 27, 2019.

1. moochedit

moochedit Mr Mooched It

hash tag likes this.
  2. binka

binka !!!!!!!!!

Probably more to do with China being a huge market for Western luxury goods

pinkmonkey, 8ball and hash tag like this.
  3. moochedit

moochedit Mr Mooched It

That as well.

4. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

I was expecting a major showdown at the airport but it appears to have ended peacefully - very well played by the protesters, I think. They responded to extreme police brutality with a nonviolent show of force that shut down one of the world's busiest airports and then dispersed, mingling with so many international travelers that the tear gas and baton-happy police couldn't attack them the way they wanted to.

I'm not sure things are going to end well here - the government, with the force of Beijing behind it, might prove to be more of an immovable object than the protesters will be an unstoppable force - but at seems at this point that anything could happen.

5. Yata

Yata Well-Known Member

mobilising in shenzhen

6. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt Dyslexic King Cnut ... the Great.

It's turning ugly at the airport, protesters have badly beaten-up a guy they say is an under-cover cop, I fear what the reaction will be to this. :(

7. WWWeed

WWWeed Bandwidth Bandit

8. cupid_stunt

MrCurry likes this.
  9. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

10. cantsin

cantsin Well-Known Member

read various versions of this over last few days, but then also heard on an in depth R4 prog. that Chinese army have a sizeable garrison approx 1m from where most of the protests are focused ( HK Parliament ), so there would be no need.

Tenor of the programme was that China's avoiding military involvement as much possible, has loads of psy - opsy / deep state shizzle to fall back on first ( was not hearing everything, as doing boring other stuff )

ska invita likes this.
  11. treelover

treelover Well-Known Member

Surprised this hasn't got more traction as a discussion, it seems to be spiraling, levels of violence, tactics, committment of protestors, what they are for, weirdly a US flag keeps appearing!, PLA/special forces massing on the border, etc.

ash likes this.
  12. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

I somehow managed to fly out on time yesterday, even had time to chat to some of the protesters who had spent the night in the arrivals area. Some people aren't happy about the way they were blocking departures at one point, though they certainly seem a lot more willing to apologise for their actions than the police.

hkapology.jpg

13. cupid_stunt

Glad you were able to fly out, Yossarian.

Yossarian likes this.
  14. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

Yuwipi Woman and Yossarian like this.
  15. MrCurry

MrCurry Updated Recipe!

cupid_stunt likes this.
  16. cantsin

if it's the likes of Hannan and Trump sharing ' truths', prob best to treat with scepticism :

17. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

i see they were still mobilizing the next day

cantsin likes this.
  18. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

19. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Alles hat ein Ende nur eine Wurst hat zwei

If you skim the party mouthpieces , lots of talk of terrorism rather than protest. Lots of shit circulating on we chat about the score of coppers who have been injured by targeted laser pen attacks by the demonstrators & Molotov’s being chucked .Gradual introduction of the idea of terrorism into the vocabulary of the state now. Once it’s accepted as terrorism, the PLA can be employed by central
    Command. Very specific wordplay here

20. cantsin

or does it just mean the HK police can / will go in ever harder ?

21. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

Large numbers of People's Armed Police vehicles massed in a Shenzhen stadium, according to satellite photos, mainland authorities still claiming that they're there for exercises planned long before any HK protests.

With HK police given the green light to be more or less as violent as they want without much fear of repercussions - and having sown fear and discord among protesters with the use of undercover instigators etc. - it's not clear whether they're going to need that much help from the mainland, especially since they have a bunch of new riot-control vehicles of their own they are obviously itching to play with. But it wouldn't be out of character for Xi Jinping to send mainland soldiers or paramilitary police in anyway as a show of overwhelming force.

This weekend could be pivotal - the Civil Human Rights Front, which organises the July 1 march every year and organised the 1 and 2-million person marches against the extradition bill this year, has applied to hold a march Sunday, hopefully it will draw very large numbers of people who may not be 100% up for using home-made catapults to fire bricks at police stations but are still disgusted with them.

chinapolice.png

Poi E likes this.
  22. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

23. Dillinger4

Dillinger4 Es gibt Zeit

What can I do to help? I want to offer material support, I'll happily ship gas masks or anything else if I can find someone to take delivery. If anyone knows anything I can do from the UK please PM me. I've wrote to my MP and given donations, even though I believe these things to be pretty futile. I'd go there if I could.

Radiatori, Yossarian and cupid_stunt like this.
  24. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Why's this thread only at 3 pages?

25. YouSir

YouSir Look out Laika, it's Earth.

People are posting when they find news/something worth sharing. Better that and a short thread than the usual 80 pages of frenetic arguing.

Mordi, gosub, krtek a houby and 3 others like this.
  26. YouSir

YouSir Look out Laika, it's Earth.

On a side note - is there any plausible way where this won't end with a violent crackdown? Even if Beijing were open to backtracking and negotiations there's no way they can have that seen to be the result of protests now is there?

27. moochedit

moochedit Mr Mooched It

Also there was another thread before this one...

Hong Kong protest

And a cross posted one..

Hong Kong Protest

Probably mods should merge them all.

28. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

I guess this is an issue where there's not much to disagree on.

We need some members of the Chinese authorities to join U75.

tim and MrCurry like this.
  29. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

I saw this today:

hksupplies.jpg

30. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

The weekend protest marches have been banned but police say a couple of protest rallies can go ahead. A rally in Macau to support HK protesters has also been banned.

The HK government has released a "mini-budget," essentially saying "shut up and be good, here's some money" - doesn't look like there's that much in there for the young adults who make up the majority of protesters.

hkbudget.png

MrCurry and maomao like this.