Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hong Kong: what next?

Yossarian

free shrugs
I was expecting a major showdown at the airport but it appears to have ended peacefully - very well played by the protesters, I think. They responded to extreme police brutality with a nonviolent show of force that shut down one of the world's busiest airports and then dispersed, mingling with so many international travelers that the tear gas and baton-happy police couldn't attack them the way they wanted to.

I'm not sure things are going to end well here - the government, with the force of Beijing behind it, might prove to be more of an immovable object than the protesters will be an unstoppable force - but at seems at this point that anything could happen.

cupid_stunt

Dyslexic King Cnut ... the Great.
It's turning ugly at the airport, protesters have badly beaten-up a guy they say is an under-cover cop, I fear what the reaction will be to this. :(

cantsin

read various versions of this over last few days, but then also heard on an in depth R4 prog. that Chinese army have a sizeable garrison approx 1m from where most of the protests are focused ( HK Parliament ), so there would be no need.

Tenor of the programme was that China's avoiding military involvement as much possible, has loads of psy - opsy / deep state shizzle to fall back on first ( was not hearing everything, as doing boring other stuff )

treelover

Surprised this hasn't got more traction as a discussion, it seems to be spiraling, levels of violence, tactics, committment of protestors, what they are for, weirdly a US flag keeps appearing!, PLA/special forces massing on the border, etc.

Reactions: ash

Yossarian

free shrugs
I somehow managed to fly out on time yesterday, even had time to chat to some of the protesters who had spent the night in the arrivals area. Some people aren't happy about the way they were blocking departures at one point, though they certainly seem a lot more willing to apologise for their actions than the police.

hkapology.jpg

not-bono-ever

They are ringing the bells now but soon...
If you skim the party mouthpieces , lots of talk of terrorism rather than protest. Lots of shit circulating on we chat about the score of coppers who have been injured by targeted laser pen attacks by the demonstrators & Molotov’s being chucked .Gradual introduction of the idea of terrorism into the vocabulary of the state now. Once it’s accepted as terrorism, the PLA can be employed by central
Command. Very specific wordplay here

cantsin

If you skim the party mouthpieces , lots of talk of terrorism rather than protest. Lots of shit circulating on we chat about the score of coppers who have been injured by targeted laser pen attacks by the demonstrators & Molotov’s being chucked .Gradual introduction of the idea of terrorism into the vocabulary of the state now. Once it’s accepted as terrorism, the PLA can be employed by central
Command. Very specific wordplay here
or does it just mean the HK police can / will go in ever harder ?

Yossarian

free shrugs
Large numbers of People's Armed Police vehicles massed in a Shenzhen stadium, according to satellite photos, mainland authorities still claiming that they're there for exercises planned long before any HK protests.

With HK police given the green light to be more or less as violent as they want without much fear of repercussions - and having sown fear and discord among protesters with the use of undercover instigators etc. - it's not clear whether they're going to need that much help from the mainland, especially since they have a bunch of new riot-control vehicles of their own they are obviously itching to play with. But it wouldn't be out of character for Xi Jinping to send mainland soldiers or paramilitary police in anyway as a show of overwhelming force.

This weekend could be pivotal - the Civil Human Rights Front, which organises the July 1 march every year and organised the 1 and 2-million person marches against the extradition bill this year, has applied to hold a march Sunday, hopefully it will draw very large numbers of people who may not be 100% up for using home-made catapults to fire bricks at police stations but are still disgusted with them.

chinapolice.png

Dillinger4

Es gibt Zeit
What can I do to help? I want to offer material support, I'll happily ship gas masks or anything else if I can find someone to take delivery. If anyone knows anything I can do from the UK please PM me. I've wrote to my MP and given donations, even though I believe these things to be pretty futile. I'd go there if I could.

YouSir

Look out Laika, it's Earth.
On a side note - is there any plausible way where this won't end with a violent crackdown? Even if Beijing were open to backtracking and negotiations there's no way they can have that seen to be the result of protests now is there?

Yossarian

free shrugs
The weekend protest marches have been banned but police say a couple of protest rallies can go ahead. A rally in Macau to support HK protesters has also been banned.

The HK government has released a "mini-budget," essentially saying "shut up and be good, here's some money" - doesn't look like there's that much in there for the young adults who make up the majority of protesters.

hkbudget.png