1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honeytrap - groundbreaking Brixton film about gang culture goes for crowdfunding

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Mar 8, 2013.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I think you need to read a bit more about the film.

Citizen66 likes this.
  2. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

How would your story go then?

3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

not much of an idea tbh.

4. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

badly

Nanker Phelge likes this.
  5. George & Bill

George & Bill Well-Known Member

The one from the Independent looks like an interesting roundup, but the whole premise is completely wrong - having just watched it, I can't say that this film is about 'girl gangs' at all (the protagonist has some trouble with other girls, but not really in the context of a gang). It's not really about boy gangs either - it's about a hip-hop crew/group of friends who decide to murder a boy they know because he has been spending time with a girl their leader wants control over (the protagonist).

I found it a strange film. I didn't get any sense of the feelings that were leading up to the outcome. The overwrought piano music began to jar pretty quickly, and combined with the soft-focus cross-fades gave the thing a strangely Twin Peaks/80s US TV soap feel.

6. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

This film was on London Live (Freeview 8) tonight.
    Gave it a gander between Newsnight and the Sky News papers.
    Seemed a bit of an archive piece in a way. Like this is now more Thornton Heath than Brixton.
    Even the locale on Stockwell Park estate (or Myatts Fields north perhaps) has changed dramatically due to degeneration.

It definitely was all shot in Brixton though (assuming this includes Brockwell Park).

To me it lacked the menace of the film "SW9" - which almost looked like "Heart of Darkness" - Coldharbour Lane

Gramsci likes this.
  7. GarveyLives

GarveyLives Well-Known Member

8. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Melodramatic music!

9. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

10. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

But isn't it also depressing that this type of subject material is entertainment.

And it has been for generations (remember Angels with Dirty Faces - Cagney and Bogart).

The difference now is that if the director introduced a moral preachy dimension it is ridiculed.

I am a big fan of Gillian Tett who used to be on TV every night during the financial crash.
    She propounds a theory that we are excessively fragmented into "Silos"
    The Silo Effect by Gillian Tett review – a subversive manifesto
    This could equally apply to gangs as to financiers who couldn;t care less about unemployment or wage levels.

In my view it would be interesting to try a five year experiment of turning off mobile phones and social media so everyone HAS to relate to people around them physically and can't arrange lynchings of defaulting gang members so easily.

11. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

12. Gramsci

I do relate physically to working class (black and white in London) . Whilst they generally arent keen on cops and arent bothered by some levels of crime this kind of violence turned on ones own community isnt approved of.

Its also not a matter of social media. Some people grew up with people on both sides of the fence in crime terms.

I help a white van man from east end sometimes. Nice bloke. As docks were closed ending up as Canary Wharf some of his schoolfriends ended up as armed robbers as alternative trade. He doesnt glamourise it. Thats how life was.

CH1 likes this.
  13. Gramsci

I havent seen Honeytrap so shouldn't judge.

Film is not real life. On some level everyone is aware of that.

From earliest times plays and stories dealt with extremes of human emotion. Take Greek theatre. Full of violence. Or Shakespeare. Having this in front of one in amphitheater or cinema may make one reflect and learn.

People are propelled into madness by love or desire. Drama taking to an excess how people behave in real life. There is nothing rational about love or desire.

If the film is a modern take on that then its fair enough.

14. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

We will have to disagree on this. I'm a bit old school - I greatly liked the former vicar of St Judes who used to go on about "the devil is stalking the streets of Brixton" His sermons were a wonder to hear.

John Wesley (whose conversion is celebrated by a bronze statue of a flame outside the Museum of London) was of the same ilk. These people consider that a sense of right and wrong is essential to living a good life.

Locally Pastor Mimi used to does the same thing on the Angell Town Estate - thought I notice that she recently turned 50 and opened a Ghanaian Restaurant in the row of shops by the Hero of Switzerland pub. I would love to know if Pastor Mimi is still working with gang members and ex gang members, or whether she has become burnt out by it.

The Honeytrap is on London Live again now as I write by the way. The do repeat things several times. I still can't get the full sense of it. It has aspects of kitchen sink drama to it, and romance, but the young people are very young which gives it a sort of children's TV ambience to my eye.

Gramsci likes this.
  15. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

My problem with the film is not that it is unreal. It is that it is banal. If anything the effect (on me) is that is deadens any sense of shock and horror.
    That said, I expect the film makers produced the effect they wanted.

Gramsci likes this.