Homeless rehoused for Christmas.

Discussion in 'benefits and housing' started by Tooter, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Tooter

Tooter Well-Known Member

Just wondered what people's thoughts on this are?

Wrexham's homeless to be housed in shipping containers ready in time for Christmas

No doubt a good thing to get the homeless into safe warm places where they can get access to healthcare, I believe several similar projects have been deemed a success.

2018 and countless 100's of millions about to be spent on 'sovereign' satellite-navigation systems, £120 million Brexit festival, £48 million chemical weapons defence centre.

Surely we should expect more than this as a solution? What are the government playing at?

I also note these are provided by a private Italian company and would be interested to know how much they are being sold for.....

AnnO'Neemus and Celyn like this.
  2. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

It's a shit idea.
    The containers can be very snug and comfortable I am sure, but the article says they are temporary. Nor does it mention if each container is for a single person or more than one person.
    There have been things about people converting containers into homes, so that side can work.
    These containers will be little better than the accommodation offered by Crisis over Christmas, albeit they may be for a little longer, how much longer is not stated.
    I can remember working at Crisis and recall volunteers being asked if they can volunteer for longer as they planned to keep the accommodation for longer than planned as the weather was so bad.
    I can also remember another time when the people were being turned out after the last night and I had just finished the night shift. The weather was so cold and icy when I got out I could not stand up.

This is a temporary, short term solution because authorities/governemnt investing in social housing, have sold off much off the social housing and property "investors" are pricing people out of the market.
    In my neck of the woods (South London) much social housing and housing association property (including Peabody) has been sold off, never to be replaced . All new developments are supposed to have a
    percentage of affordable housing. Generally they don't and if they do, affordable to who? certainly not your average first time buyer.
    Developers tend to generally give money for affordable housing to be built well away from their development for fear it might attract the wrong sort of person and deter the people and investors who can afford
    it.

You are right, people deserve more and better, a total disgrace!

rant over. x

3. dessiato

dessiato Looking for my shopping trolley

You are so right. If it can be done for a few days at Xmas, why not for longer?

Badgers, Celyn and passenger like this.
  4. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Money, will, government.................

5. Argonia

Argonia Happy go licky

This country needs an epic house building crusade.

6. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

My boy (13) was asking why there weren’t just more houses built if there weren’t enough. I said I didn’t know why more weren’t being built by private companies. Can anyone answer?

Celyn likes this.
  7. Wolveryeti

Wolveryeti Young Lethargio

Because of green belt, protected views and conservation areas that stop housing of the appropriate density bwing built for areas where there is demand.

Compounded by planning permission being such an arse (NIMBYs) that only big housebuilders can afford the teams to engage with it properly. And perversely, when the trend is for demand to outstrip supply (i.e. prices are rising) it makes more sense for big firms to drag their feet bringing homes to market, because annual house price rises have reliably been earning more than money in the bank. Delay = more profit.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018 at 7:22 AM
    dessiato, Celyn and Edie like this.
  8. dessiato

dessiato Looking for my shopping trolley

If it's possible to convert containers into small, studio type housing surely it would be possible do more. I'm sure two joined together could work. I'm sure that insulation issues could be addressed. And why not redevelop brown field sites for this purpose?

I suppose it comes down to political will, and insufficient profit.