Home Brew Questions

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by Voley, Mar 16, 2009.

1. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

When chucking out a fair bit of my failed home brew it wasn't the beer that went that upset me, but the bottles I'd removed the labels from. I've kept back 40 but there isn't that much storage free for more if they aren't being used. :(

2. existentialist

existentialist It could always be worse.

You mean there's a big stash of clean de-labelled beer bottles hanging around unwanted...?

*sob*

:D

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  3. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

I am going to try again. Just need to brave the cold and finish the dam patio and get the new shed up.

I've still got a few kits floating around. Thinking next time a little aquarium heater in a tub of water so it's a more constant temp in my kitchen and buying a different yeast strain. And only doing one batch until I know it's alright.

Annoyingly my cider was alright. I'm just not as keen on cider.

existentialist likes this.
  4. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

I went feral with last two brews. Forty pints of stout and 40 of bitter. Couldn't be bothered with syphoning off and bottling up.
    Left in the cold for two months then just dug a carafe in repeatedly till gone.
    Tastes lush though.

5. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

Whilst kegging is easier than bottling, I've now got some rust inside some of my kegs, which is a pain in the arse!

6. DaRealSpoon

DaRealSpoon Do not try and bend the spoon...

We've just started on the first few bottles of last years 'Slider'.

Cider made with left over gin-soaked sloe berries chucked in for good measure.

Tasting report = Dangerous, very dangerous :D :cool:

existentialist likes this.
  7. TopCat

Might start cleaning kit in the hope of warmer climes...

8. sunnysidedown

sunnysidedown Well-Known Member

I use one of these and an old heat mat that used to keep my GFs dog warm. Keeps a brew on all year round.

Ground Elder likes this.
  9. TopCat

I was so skint a year or so ago that I had 120 pints in secondary fermentation and then had no gas or lecy to keep the brews warm enough to get the fizz. I tried cuddling the barrels and encouraged the cat to do the same but alas it was not enough.
    I want in short the weather to do its thing.
    2 big brews, early summer and autumn.

UnderAnOpenSky and sunnysidedown like this.
  10. seeformiles

seeformiles Lost in the wood

This thread has reminded me that last year’s cider needs bottling - all 42 gallons of it. Bottle conditioning will be done in a few days in this weather :cool: