Holiday in Scotland - advice please

Discussion in 'travel and world' started by Hellsbells, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Hellsbells

Hellsbells World's best procrastinator

My sister and I have managed to get cheap train tickets to Edinburgh the last week of July. We're going to be spending 5 days there. Probably 1 or 2 days in Edinburgh and 3 days somewhere else.

Was just looking for advice and recommendations really. Where is nice that is close to Edinburgh - in the countryside with cheap youth hostels & outdoor activities?

2. TheHoodedClaw

TheHoodedClaw acknowledging ur soup leg

Stirling is pretty, not exactly in the depths of the countryside, but you'll have great views of various mountains, and it's less than an hour on the train from Edinburgh. From Stirling you can bus it to either Aberfoyle or Callendar, where you really are in the countryside and there are really great cycle routes and walks from there.

3. lizzieloo

lizzieloo Numpty extraordinaire

4. Pingu

Pingu Credo

if you like dolphins head much further north to inverness and channory point

when the tide turns you can see dolphins follow the fish.

5. Fly

Fly New Member

6. machine cat

machine cat nod from the big man as kosher Banned

7. TheHoodedClaw

To be fair, if you stay away from the west coast, and otherwise don't camp right next to a loch you won't encounter them.

8. Fly

Fly New Member

You cant miss the west coast on a trip to Scotland, the very best of Scottish scenery.

9. Fledgling

Fledgling And the porpoise?

A trip to the Pentland Hills may be a good idea. All depends on how far you want to go each day. I personally prefer the west coast and the interior. Went to loch Mullardoch last year to climb a couple of mountains and loved it on the summit. Went to Edinburgh for a day but it was during the festival and I wasn't impressed that a) couldn't find the playing card shop and b) every shop is a gift shop designed to ensure everyone looks like the Bay City Rollers. My favourite moment was seeing a load of old Scotsmen in kilts wasted on some steps.

My friend and I in our quest for entertainment went to the Edinburgh Dungeon which wasn't as fun as the York one we both like (anyone reading this should know that we are both far too old for the Dungeon but did go to Fort Geroge as well so we are mature sometimes).

You could go off the beaten track and head to Melrose, there's an abbey and beautiful walking in the lowland hills. DO NOT eat out in Melrose.

10. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

Stirling or Arrochar are good bases with decent public transport, good hostels & a variety of things nearby.

Arrochar is more remote mountanous tho & although the SYHA hostel has closed, several of the hotels have bunkhouses etc that are just as acceptable & very cheap.

Several good hostels in the Borders as well - Broadmeadows nr Selkirk is a great one near a historic town where you can hire bikes & explore on generally good & quiet roads or go offroad on a variety of trails

http://www.syha.org.uk/SYHA/Web/Site/Hostels/Broadmeadows.asp

11. bimble

bimble noisy but small

very bump. I've never been (apart from one very ill fated trip to skye) and want to get up there this summer. Wanting big open spaces and some coast.. do i go to the west coast?

kebabking likes this.
  12. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

yes, but it depends what you actually want - while i'm a huge fan of the West coast, the East coast is pretty stunningly beautiful too.

if you want big open spaces, coast and not many people try the stretch from Newcastle to Edinburgh: massive numbers of castles, huuuge beaches, forest, mountain, and compared to Glencoe, utterly deserted.

the bit up around Inverness was gorgeous as well.

13. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

Yup - do not discount the East Coast at all - There may be very little of the mountains and glens but just as much of the "big skies" and wide open spaces - Plus a more developed infrastructure and maybe more variety of places of interest to visit.

OTOH, look at the Moray Firth (Inner and outer) coast, Aberdeenshire and Angus coasts and the Beauly Firth. Also the Fife and East Lothian Coasts - In fact I second the whole Newcastle to Edinburgh stretch but IIRC some of the best bits south of the border can be harder to access? Its been a while for me.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    bimble, kebabking and danny la rouge like this.
  14. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Warning: posts may cause vasovagal presyncope

TheHoodedClaw and bimble like this.
  15. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

Yes. And the east coast. Or the north coast. Basically we have a lot of coast and it's all gorgeous. This is Musselburgh, a 20 min bike ride from Edinburgh, today. Big skies a-go-go.

IMG_20180519_131305058.jpg

bimble, kebabking and pogofish like this.
  16. Chilli.s

Chilli.s Well-Known Member

Edinburgh is smashing, loads of free stuff to do if you like museums and art. In many ways more fun than London, there... I said it.

pogofish likes this.
  17. TheHoodedClaw

Scotland does great coast, tbh. Even bits that tourists rarely go to like the Machars and Rhins peninsulas down in the south-west are great.

bimble and danny la rouge like this.