Historic image of the Prince of Wales, Brixton

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Apr 8, 2019.

1. editor

editor Walking along the lonely street of dreams

I just came across this cracking postcard of the Commercial from around the turn of the last century. Anyone know when this building was demolished?

commercial.jpg

BakeRecords and CH1 like this.
  2. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Seems a bit odd that there is a Prince of Wales sign right next to it. Was there ever a Prince of Wales at Herne Hill?
    I'm wondering if this might actually be the old Brixton Prince of Wales pre rebuilding on the new building line. Note the description "Brixton Commercial Hotel". Even W Somerset Maugham in "Of Human Bondage" clearly knows the difference between Brixton and Herne Hill.
    Puddy_Tat ?

3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

i wonder if the current commercial sits on the same plot:
    upload_2019-4-8_9-55-50.png
    from the 1893 os:
    upload_2019-4-8_9-56-19.png

4. Pickman's model

5. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

editor likes this.
  6. RubyToogood

RubyToogood can't remember what goes here

There's no way that's the Commercial in Herne Hill, that's not on a corner of a major road with lots of buildings stretching away behind it, it's on the corner of a small dark alley that ends fairly quickly on Dulwich Rd.

Pickman's model and snowy_again like this.
  7. Pickman's model

so the current florence then

8. RubyToogood

The Florence what?

The above picture isn't the Florence either as that's on the opposite corner of the same alleyway as the Commercial.

I'm voting that it's the PoW.

editor likes this.
  9. Pickman's model

reckon you're right (1893 map)
    upload_2019-4-8_11-33-35.png
    bank beside it - check
    on a corner - check
    busy road - check

RubyToogood and editor like this.
  10. Pickman's model

11. Pickman's model

the same spot round 1875
    upload_2019-4-8_11-36-58.png
    so it seems to me that the building in the photo in the op went / was changed between 1875 and 1893

12. editor

I thought at first it might be the Prince of Wales but the building looked too different but looking at it again and looking through my own archive features, that's what it is!

I'll add the photo and some detail to my original feature here Brixton history: Fascinating archive photo shows Brixton’s Prince of Wales before rebuilding [edit: done] and change the thread title. Thanks for correcting me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the ebay listing
    Herne Hill Brixton Commercial Hotel Inn Pub London c1885 Cabinet topo photograph | eBay

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    RubyToogood and Pickman's model like this.
  13. editor

14. RubyToogood

It was almost certainly roundly condemned by locals as not like a proper old pub and catering for all the horrible new incomers.

Mary Woolley writes of their brand new house ("a horrid little villa... all new unmade roads") in Upper Tulse Hill in 1841 "all the other Villas were soon occupied but the inmates were not of the kind of society we had mixed in."

Chapter Seven : Highwaymen in Peckham

snowy_again likes this.
  15. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat hmm

Agree that these are the same building - more got added to the south side at some point.

Pubs History has an entry on the Prince of Wales here

Frederick Mackness (a Huntingdonshire man - the 1871 census transcription is more credible than the 1881) became licensee in 1868. In 1896, Mrs Sarah Mackness (Frederick's wife or possibly by then his widow) and Edward Johnson listed as licensees.

1896 London Suburban directory shows this - also shows Balls Brothers, Omnibus Proprietors, as based at the same address. (Not sure if they might have been the same Balls Brothers as the wine merchants / wine bar people) - the bus trade and pub trade tended to work closely together in the early years, often able to provide feeding facilities for the motive power and the bus crews.

brixton-rd-1896.png

I can find a reference in the Commercial Motor archive to Balls Bros trying out a motor bus in 1905. Much of the bus trade (except the larger companies) did not survive the 1914 - 18 war with combination of men volunteering or being called up and vehicles requisitioned for war department use.

And a little more about the Wenlock Brewery, Hoxton here