1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hiking Types - talk to me about waterproofs

Discussion in 'threads and dreads' started by killer b, Jan 10, 2018.

1. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Also in warmer weather quick drying clothing might be a better option than waterproofs.

When the rain stops keep walking and you could be bone dry again in 10 minutes.

That’s my usual Summer plan.

2. craigxcraig

craigxcraig Prefers 'cxc'

On the outdoor sofa thread I'd posted about some waterproofs id picked up off of ebay - theyre mil camo but for the price theyre a great buy. Ripstop, watproof zips and air vents - jacket was 25 quid and trousers the same. Ive ow bought two pairs — stuff paying anymore!

Eta, these: British Military Army MTP Lightweight goretex Jacket waterproof Repaired velcro | eBay

These are repaired but look at others and you can find them virtually brand new etc. Unfort you cant do much about the colour!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  3. BlueSquareThing

BlueSquareThing With chips

Underarm zips (vents might be the technical term) are a damned useful thing if you'e going to be wearing the jacket for any length of time. Really increase breathability.

4. baldrick

baldrick ooooh timewarp

At the minute my go to for horizontal winter rain is a marmot precip. Cheap, available in a rainbow of colours (I'm currently rocking the orange, which is very orange indeed), pockets big enough for a map, underarm zips.

I have more expensive, lighter ones, but this just works and is bombproof.

chilango likes this.
  5. Jackobi

Jackobi swallows anything

A decent, adjustable hood and cuffs on the jacket are essential. I'm a bit of a bargain hunter and picked up a Jack Wolfskin Seven Falls jacket at Cotswold for £62 in a sale (mainly because the Texapore material does not need treating to stay waterproof) and a pair of Berghaus Stratus waterproof trousers from Blacks for £25 in a sale, both are nice, cool and breathable and have never let me down, paired with a good baselayer shirt and hiking trousers which help. I also used Go Outdoors price match plus 10% to buy a pair of Meindl Bhutan boots for £135, these are fucking brilliant!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018