Herne Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by choochi, Jun 9, 2014.

1. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

friendofdorothy likes this.
  2. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

thanks! Ill give that a listen.

how are the proms? we've missed you on weds.

3. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

A pedant notes that this is not a zebra crossing. And it would be a very bad idea to paint a zebra crossing in such colours.

friendofdorothy and snowy_again like this.
  4. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

There's a sign on the BT ilink thing in West Norwood, describing it as the first permanent rainbow crossing in the UK.

I took a photo but don't know how to put that on here.

5. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

6. Winot

I don’t have any other details.

7. Smick

I am always quite skeptical of those temporary funfairs. I guess they are quite adept at putting them together and taking them apart, but the temporary nature of them worries me. Tons of metal being flung about after having been assembled that morning under time pressure.

I went on one of the particularly violent ones at the Lambeth Country Show one year and started to doubt their safety mid-ride. I petrified myself and decided to never bother again.

8. Winot

9. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

I only heard about this exhibition yesterday and it finishes tomorrow. I am going down to Brixton to see it tomorrow afternoon.

BusLanes likes this.
  10. Not a Vet

Not a Vet are we nearly there yet?

Noticed that the bookies in HH has bit the dust. Wonder where the regulars will get their ahem “fix” from now?

editor likes this.
  11. Smick

I've never heard of bookies offices losing money. Their lease must be up or some other reason to close it down.

I enjoy the occasional trip to the bookies, but hypocritically hate the sight of them so won't mourn the closure of this one.

Hopefully nothing springs up for the regulars and they put the money to something better, even if it is only pints.

12. friendofdorothy

which bookies? Ladbrooks went years ago. Do you mean the Tote next to the Commercial?

13. Not a Vet

Not a Vet are we nearly there yet?

Yes, I suspect some of the punters made more money than the bookie

14. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

More likely that that the recently imposed £2 maximum play on those infernal highly addictive fruit machines had eroded that branch's profits irreversibly.

I am sorry for any job loses but I won't lose much sleep for the fortunes of the company.

15. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

This may be of interest to Herne Hilliers.

more fright one.png

Hosted by a friend of mine.

friendofdorothy and editor like this.
  16. editor

editor hiraethified

17. HerneHillBilly

HerneHillBilly Well-Known Member

I don't usually get concerned about the early appearance of Xmas paraphernalia, but a Christmas tree in the station square on Oct 3 seems more than a bit premature.

editor likes this.
  18. editor

editor hiraethified

That is really ridiculous!

19. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

It's temporary - for an advert.

20. HerneHillBilly

I'm imagining they're just trying it out to see how it looks, 3 months would be a long time to have it plonked there.

21. SheilaNaGig

SheilaNaGig Struggling and striving

I like Off The Cuff for the live stuff but I can't tolerate the damp mouldy air in there. Every time I've spent any time there I get wheezy and short of breath. And a sire throat. The first time, I assumed I was coming down with something but it didn't develop. And it's happened every time I've been to the venue.

22. HerneHillBilly

Aha! Thanks for that, will there be a snow machine?

23. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

There was an eight foot fibreglass snowman yesterday... I'll go and poke my nose around - all I can see at the moment is a few crew vans.

24. editor

editor hiraethified

It's so nearly a great gig, that place. Sound is pretty good and I like the tattiness/quirkiness but the five quid pints are a bit much.

25. SheilaNaGig

SheilaNaGig Struggling and striving

The faux squat element annoys me a bit. It's not evolved around people using the place, it was brought in wholescale so it's not actually comfortable and easy to use. But yeah, the sound is decent enough (railway atches tend to be sound friendly anyway).

Alcohol is universally overpriced. Well, not universally: I was pleasantly surprised by low bar prices in a social club recently.

26. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

There is a snow machine!

friendofdorothy likes this.
  27. HerneHillBilly

Hurray! I'm at work now, though, so I'll miss it.

28. Smick

According to the guys earlier, it is an ad for Visa.

It’s set round / in the picture framers and they were using a Mk3 Ford Cortina, which was made between 1970 and 1976, so it will be something vintagey.

The tre was only decorated on one side, presumably their filming doesn’t face toward the park.

29. friendofdorothy

what are they filming?

30. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

Probably their Christmas advert