Herne Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by choochi, Jun 9, 2014.

1. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Rumours in HH that someone's leaving poisoned meat in Brockwell Park - along the cinder pitch / wild flowers bit. Three dogs have apparently died, a friend had their dog's stomach pumped.

2. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

I heard this today too. Which bit is that exactly?

3. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

The path from the lido car park that runs parallel with Dulwich Road I think.

4. Ms T

I generally try to support independent shops, but every time I go to Seasons I regret it. They charge top whack (more than Dugard in some cases!) and a lot of the produce isn’t that good quality. I just came home with half a dozen eggs and as I was putting them away noticed they were more than two weeks past their use by date. :mad:

5. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

Does anyone go to the Regent anymore? I haven't been for ages but don't want to lose touch with all the regulars I used to see in there.

6. Ms T

I do! Quizzing tonight.

7. friendofdorothy

sorry haven't had much time for urbing lately - do you go every week? I finally popped in there on sat afternoon as I saw some friends there as I was passing by, we sat outside - lovely sunny day.

8. friendofdorothy

Does anyone know where I can recycle light bulbs? - there used to be those special recycling bin things on the corner of Railton road, according to Lambeth.gov it's still there, but I don't think I've seen it there for a while. Is it there now?

Also old tins of paint etc - I don't have a car so going to the smugglers way dump is a bit tricky - any ideas?

9. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I think you can take them to the council place in Vale street behind West Norwood Cemetery (on the 322 route).

I have a similar problem. Loads of "Double D" fluorescent tubes (contain mercury).
    When it gets more summery I intent to take them there armed with my council tax bill (suggests driving licence as proof of a Lambeth address).

PS the reason the bins disappeared is there's no money in it, and Lambeth didn't get a new contractor. Maybe too busy with their Nu Town Hall?

friendofdorothy likes this.
  10. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

I took some old tins of paint to the smugglers way place last year... Made the mistake of asking which section they should go in and the answer was that they couldn't take them at all as they count as hazardous waste therefore I must take them home again, call up lambeth, arrange for a special collection blah blah.

Anyway - if you've got any awkward waste to get rid of, why not just dump it all over the pavement round the corner from my front door during the night? That seems to be a popular option.

11. Twattor

Twattor Well-Known Member

Only in liquid form. If you stir in something to make them solidify (cement/filler/sawdust etc) then you can dispose of them there or in your normal rubbish.

If you know anyone who's a southwark resident and can borrow ID then the tip off old kent road will take liquid paint for recycling.

12. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Years ago the Lambeth waste site on Vale St. used to accept paint as donations for reuse if sufficient amount remained in the tin and the paint was still useful, IIRC. Don't know if that's still the case though.

13. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

It's not. I tried to do just that last year and was told they don't take it and you have to take it to Smugglers Way.

T & P likes this.
  14. sparkybird

sparkybird ask the bird...

Ditto. If it's not a full tin they won't take it at vale st. IIRC advise on Lambeth website was to let it go solid and put in normal bin

15. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

What will make it solidify? I have an enormous tub of all sorts of random paint and other DIY stuff and it won't dry out

16. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Remove the lid, leave alone for a couple of days, sorted :thumbs:

colacubes and brixtonblade like this.
  17. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

Really? What if it rains?

18. colacubes

Ideally you want to wait till it’s a bit warmer. Couple of days in the sun and jobs a good’un.

brixtonblade and friendofdorothy like this.
  19. friendofdorothy

I thought the advise was to let it go solid and then take it to smugglers way - did I read that wrong? just been to their site A to Z of what to do with your waste | Lambeth Council.

Lambeth won't collect it and we don't drive. However I also found this link:
    Get rid of hazardous waste | Lambeth Council which says City of london collects hazardous waste including paint. don't know if that costs anything.

20. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

If the paint is water-soluble (as opposed to the type you need white spirit to clean brushes with), it won’t even smell, IME at least. So you could do it indoors.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    Angellic and brixtonblade like this.
  21. sparkybird

sparkybird ask the bird...

Burst water main in Dulwich road just before the Florence pub... I've reported it to TW

22. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Herne Hill junction closed due to RTA.

23. colacubes

Just been through on my bike and looks really nasty. Looks like they had to cut the roof off the car to get people out :(

24. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

25. Me76

Me76 Not very good lurker

Is it still closed? Do you know if buses are on a diversion? I got caught in it just as it happened this afternoon and they were just sending buses back to west Norwood at that point.

26. Me76

Diversion is on. 68 going to Brixton from camberwell and then 2 route to tulse Hill.

27. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

I'm on a 196 which is taking us over Tulse Hill instead of through HH. I had hoped that, being on diversion, it would fire past all the stops, but it is basically doing a 2 route.

28. Me76

,I think the diversion must be over now as I've just got to tulse Hill and there was a 468 coming up from HH and another one going down.

29. Louisgwinn24

Louisgwinn24 Member

Has Dee Dee's Jazz on the Hill closed down?

30. friendofdorothy

What's happening with the new Balamory shops? - they all look empty atm.