Herne Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by choochi, Jun 9, 2014.

1. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

Other than upstairs at the Prince Regent (I'm already considering) - venues to hire for an important party - any suggestions and personal experiences please? Preferably one that doesn't charge and arm and a leg. Doesn't have to be in Herne Hill but needs to be easy to get to from here or Brixton.

2. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Dog Star was good (for my 40th).

3. friendofdorothy

Thanks I haven't been in there for a decade or more. Never since ID became compulsory - would ID be needed for private party guests? (average age over 50) Was that in a room upstairs? many people? what did you have: food /bar/dj? tell me more.

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

If it's on a weekend, you'll need ID, but not for a party in the week. The top floor bar holds around 70 I think.

You can also book the top floor of the Market House - they might ask for ID but there's none of that scanning nonsense.

What day/times are you looking at, and how many people?

friendofdorothy likes this.
  5. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Mine was a joint party with two other people, so we had sufficient numbers to hire both upper rooms (one of which we had a band and DJ in). The staff were really friendly, there was a minimum spend which we achieved. We were able to organise our own food however and also supply some drink with a reasonable corkage.

There wasn’t any ID needed. It was 7 years ago though :oops:

Ol Nick, friendofdorothy and editor like this.
  6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

If you're after a bit of a laid back, intimate bash, you can hire the front room of the Effra Social. Lob in some cheapo lighting and a DJ and you'll have a nice little party!

I DJd a birthday party at the Brockwell Lido cafe a while back but I think that was pretty expensive to hire (it was a bit too shiny for my tastes too).

7. footballerslegs

footballerslegs Well-Known Member

Worth checking out Island Arts - hireable space in one of the arches at the bottom of Milkwood Road. Can send details if you’d like to investigate with a bit more info.

8. Lizzy Mac

Lizzy Mac Well-Known Member

I've been to some lovely ones at the Whirled Cinema.

9. friendofdorothy

Thanks but it will need to be at a weekend, as family and friends will need to come from out of town. Can't possibly ask them to anything that requires ID (some of them will def not have drivers licence or passports, though some may well have 60+ bus passes) Anyway I refuse to take my passport out to go to a pub in Brixton and I can't risk not getting into my own party! I'll enquire further with the Market House check if they do need ID and their costs. Thanks

Thanks but Effra Social's lounge is too small. Lido a possibility - have already asked for a quote.

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I think it'll be pricey. If you want any kind of leg-shaking you'll have to hire in a soundsystem too as theirs is only really good enough for background music. Market House I think is cheap (or even free) if you go from 7pm-10pm when the club nights take over, but you can stay on for those if the music is anywhere near what you like.

I agree with your dislike of the ID stuff. I fucking hate it but it's all over Brixton now. Even the Albert on weekends.

11. friendofdorothy

great suggestions I'll definitely investigate - thank you!

12. friendofdorothy

The main reason we no longer head that way at the weekend anymore. Thank god it hasn't reached Herne Hill yet.

13. friendofdorothy

have they gone out of business? the website doesnt seem to exist and email bounces back...

Did they all involve watching films? - all prices include projection staff etc. Can't tell from the site if all the cinema seating can be moved.

14. friendofdorothy

I imagine most places will be pricey. So far quotes go from 150 - 1000 quids (yikes!) but diffent things are included. Just enquiring at this stage.

15. footballerslegs

I’m hoping they’ve not gone out of business as it’s a great space. Email address I’ve used in the past is islandarts@btinternet.com . Is that the one that’s bounced back?

16. friendofdorothy

no it wasn't - I'll give that a go.

edit to add - yey got a reply and I've asked if I can look around.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    footballerslegs and Me76 like this.
  17. footballerslegs

Good luck

18. friendofdorothy

Unfortunately 198 don't do private parties anymore following complaints. Shame but fair enough

19. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

Trinity Arms upstairs hires out now. I didn't book it but apparently it was quite good value.

20. Lizzy Mac

Lizzy Mac Well-Known Member

Hi they close for private hires at the weekend and remove the seats. You need to bring a DJ and decks etc, maybe some fairy lights. My mate did it an it was very reasonable and easy to arrange. If you pop down they are very friendly.

21. blameless77

blameless77 Well-Known Member

I was able to show a scan of my passport on my phone at two local establishments recently. Handy as I don’t have a driving licence, and don’t like carrying a passport around.

editor likes this.
  22. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

That was a lovely little Armistice ceremony outside the station this morning. Last Post followed by two minute silence. The whole market was quiet with only the happy sound of a couple of young children. Really quite moving I thought.

friendofdorothy and BusLanes like this.
  23. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

I went to the Kennington Cenotaph. Quite a good one too, lots of cadets and such.

24. friendofdorothy

Which local establishments, was in Herne Hill? As my phone is almost gas powered this wouldn't work for me.

Anyway I refuse on principal to allow some door whore to inspect my passport - govt /border guards yes, to get into a fucking local pub where I've drank for decades - just no! Unless ID cards are made madatory in this country I think our local licencing authority is exceeding its powers in demanding this. Its a civil liberties issues for me and possibly an ageism/equalities issue. Anyway the issue of came up as I'm trying to arrange an important private party, and I don't want my guests who may not have ID to be barred (like many older people don't)

Gramsci, prunus and Smick like this.