Herne Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by choochi, Jun 9, 2014.

1. sealion

sealion Well-Known Member

I never mentioned quality or taste, you just did. Sugar is sugar, ask a kid weather they want an organic artisan ice cream or one from the local shop, i think i know the answer to that.

editor likes this.
  2. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

That's exactly how "It's a pile of sugar what ever way you dress it up" reads to me. It doesn't make much sense if you had meant something different.

Ice cream is not eaten just by children :facepalm:

3. sealion

sealion Well-Known Member

Okay, Sugar is sugar it kills adult the same as kids, it's all the fucking same :thumbs: Happy now ?

4. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

Er... Just people doing a job

Agree its pricey but your post is OTT

editor and sealion like this.
  5. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

Ah come on, those vans down by the back of Brockwell Park are awful. So expensive and the product is shockingly bad. They have a quasi captive market and someone, somewhere, or maybe it’s just another of Lambeth’s revenue
    lines, is making a fortune off it.

When I described the operators as degenerates, I had one in mind. Duncan Bannatyne. I’m sure the guy in the van in Brockwell isn’t the owner and probably earns bugger all, spends his days in a cramped Transit with his back bent and the sound of a Diesel engine plaguing him.

The vans are filthy though, that Whippy ice cream can melt and refreeze numerous times, and I almost always refuse to allow my kids to get anything from them.

friendofdorothy and editor like this.
  6. madolesance

madolesance Well-Known Member

Stopped my kids from buying ice cream if you can it that from those vans around Brockwell with the Diesel engines constantly running. The kids understand and are happy to go without.
    Don’t the cafe in the park have the monopoly of these vans?
    Would be great if the next ice cream sales around the park where up for tender, an environmental impact was taken into account regarding who could trade.
    For the moment though, people need to go else where. There’s better frozen treats available in the area.

friendofdorothy, editor and Smick like this.
  7. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

Is it the cafe who run those vans? The cafe could store scoop ice cream there and do one of those three wheel bikes that you see, replenish throughout the day. There’s no excuse for them to be running Diesel vans right beside the playpark.

As long as I’m not with the kids on my own, I’d just go out to the corner shop at the bottom of Tulse Hill and pick up a few Fabs.

editor likes this.
  8. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

I think I've read that power points are being installed for the vans in Brockwell.

9. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

I got an ice cream from the Brockwell Park cafe at the country show. I think it was more expensive than the kiosk in the station.

friendofdorothy likes this.
  10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

They must have ripped you off because I definitely did not pay £3+ for my ice cream. But at least you get a seat and a table there, indoors or out.

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I always find it funny when rich people dress up their two year olds in the most expensive designer clobber and trainers, like the kid is going to notice the difference - and the kid will most likely grow out of it within a few months. :facepalm:

12. MissL

MissL Well-Known Member

I would happily see these bastards banned from floating around outside Brockwell Park playground. Or at least be made to park at least 50 metres away.

Smick and friendofdorothy like this.
  13. Rushy

Haha. 50m would not outsmart the toddler ice cream radar!

friendofdorothy likes this.
  14. MissL

MissL Well-Known Member

True

15. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Hey, at least those diesel-scented foul ice cream vans don't use the wrong noun to describe themselves. That's by far the worst crime of them all :thumbs:

16. Rushy

Well they use the term "ice cream" rather loosely. :D

(I don't mind a Mr Whippy myself, sans diesel engine preferably)

Smick likes this.
  17. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

I blame Thatcher. Before she took to ruining my young adult life and laying waste to the north, she was a food scientist, ruining our fucking ice cream. She has a lot to answer for.

I love quality ice cream - something with actual cream in it, or at least full fat milk. It's a different thing all together from veg fat+skimmed powder+emulsifiers+crap that gets sold as ice cream.

T & P likes this.
  18. friendofdorothy

In my opinion, ice cream of any kind is the very definition of a 'treat'.

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

FYI: The 'occasional treat' line refers to the oft-trotted out line in defence of hugely expensive, rent-increasing gentrifying restaurants and cocktail bars arriving in historically poor areas.

20. friendofdorothy

yes I know, I know I've heard it so often before. My occasional treat comment refers to the fact that it is indeed an occasional treat. Do you have no sense of humour anymore?

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Apparently not :(

22. friendofdorothy

Not sure Herne Hill was historically poor, depends how historic you are being, well not that poor and not for the 30 years I've lived nearby.

23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I was referring to how new expensive things were being justified generally.

24. friendofdorothy

shall I buy you an ice cream to cheer you up then? go on its a nice treat...

alcopop, Smick and sealion like this.
  25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Got some very tasty, reasonably priced (but non artisan) in the freezer thanks. And it's deelish with strawberries.

26. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

When it comes down to trivial issues the usual suspects spend a lot of time taking pops at Ed.

Serious issues like planning application on CHL no interest.

Its easy on internet to have knee jerk reactions. Serious issues no. To much time to read.

editor likes this.
  27. friendofdorothy

vegan?

28. Rushy

I bought a tub of chocolate ice cream the other day. It was lovely. Kind of moussey. Only realised after i'd finished it that it was vegan. Made with nuts. Cashews iirc.

Smick, sealion and friendofdorothy like this.
  29. friendofdorothy

Well Ed spends a lot of time taking trivial pops at new businesses in HH. There are plenty of other threads for general gentrification chat rows.

And last time I checked CHL is definity off topic for a Herne Hill thread.

alcopop and T & P like this.
  30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Look back through this thread. I merely agreed with the opinion that £9 for three small ice creams for kids is expensive. And then the pile-on began.

Smick and Gramsci like this.