Herne Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by choochi, Jun 9, 2014.

1. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

Great posters. I wonder if the late Commie Bill - ex 'miner' was responsible for posting the Save the Pits posters? or it could have been L&G Support the Miners (as featured in the film Pride) as some of them lived around here.

snowy_again and RubyToogood like this.
  2. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

snowy_again and brixtonblade like this.
  3. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

Thanks for that link. I hadn’t got round to looking for it.

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

5. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

1132 signatures so far! We love our flower lady, she is Herne Hill.

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Brixton Buzz sent around a 100 people to the petition site today already, which makes me chuffed. It would be a real shame if Network Rail get to destroy even more local character.

friendofdorothy and BoxRoom like this.
  7. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Given how much dead space there is alongside train tracks, in particular around stations and railway junctions, I cannot believe that they cannot place the transformer somewhere along the tracks within the footprint of HH station. Looking at a satellite image of the line around the station, lack of space is clearly not the issue.

There might be a technical or logistical reason i’m not aware of, but I suspect it’s just to do with a higher cost to NR.

editor likes this.
  8. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

The substation is to service the rental units not railway operations. And NR's property arm is being lined up for a sell-off. So that is probably one reason NR don't want it alongside the tracks.

friendofdorothy likes this.
  9. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters