Herne Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by choochi, Jun 9, 2014.

1. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

Great posters. I wonder if the late Commie Bill - ex 'miner' was responsible for posting the Save the Pits posters? or it could have been L&G Support the Miners (as featured in the film Pride) as some of them lived around here.

snowy_again and RubyToogood like this.
  2. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

snowy_again and brixtonblade like this.
  3. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

Thanks for that link. I hadn’t got round to looking for it.

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

5. friendofdorothy

1132 signatures so far! We love our flower lady, she is Herne Hill.

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Brixton Buzz sent around a 100 people to the petition site today already, which makes me chuffed. It would be a real shame if Network Rail get to destroy even more local character.

friendofdorothy and BoxRoom like this.
  7. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Given how much dead space there is alongside train tracks, in particular around stations and railway junctions, I cannot believe that they cannot place the transformer somewhere along the tracks within the footprint of HH station. Looking at a satellite image of the line around the station, lack of space is clearly not the issue.

There might be a technical or logistical reason i’m not aware of, but I suspect it’s just to do with a higher cost to NR.

editor likes this.
  8. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

The substation is to service the rental units not railway operations. And NR's property arm is being lined up for a sell-off. So that is probably one reason NR don't want it alongside the tracks.

Jangleballix and friendofdorothy like this.
  9. Rushy

Good point.

10. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Some good (?) news:

"Network Rail have just confirmed that they will no longer be pursuing the Flower Lady premises as a potential site for the sub-station. We are waiting to hear where else they are looking at...."

11. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

Hurrah!! I'd be nervous if I were the hardware shop though - or anyone else in HH atm.

12. Rushy

I don't think their building is owned by NR. Great news. And hats off to them to stepping back so quickly.

gaijingirl likes this.
  13. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

That is superb news! :thumbs:

ChrisSouth likes this.
  14. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

15. friendofdorothy

16. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

‘The National Pub Awards’ but not clear who created that award tbh...

17. friendofdorothy

sounds suspect to me. The moon is ok - bit corporate but better than no pub at all.

It's shiney, very expensive, doesn't have much atmosphere and the service is hit and miss. I wouldn't give it any awards yet.

18. Rushy

I really like it - apart from the crazy prices.

19. SpamMisery

SpamMisery Pretty comfortable here right under your skin

Lovely pub tbf

20. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

It's pretty soulless. It's fine and it's good that it has rooms to hire but it's nothing special.

21. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

The front room (being listed and all) is lovely, but tables at the back are pretty meh, and the restaurant area is nothing to write home about. Admittedly one visit is not enough to fully show a restaurant’s potential but when I ate there recently both the menu choices and the meal I had were little more than adequate.

Overall there’s nothing wrong with it but I struggle to believe it is the best in Greater London.

snowy_again likes this.
  22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Indeed. Apart from the original front room, the rest is a fairly bland, middle-class gastro-pub with little real character to make it stand out from a host of other similar pubs. It's pleasant enough if that's the kind of thing you're into, I guess. It's pricey too, so that makes it more exclusive than many boozers.

23. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

i suppose it is subjective but without actually having been in there i would imagine my opinion of it would be that it isn't even the best in the area, let alone the whole of greater London.

The fact that Fullers run it, makes me immediately avoid it due to the outrageous prices for a pint of beer they like to charge.

But who knows, perhaps for people who are able to spend around £40 on a couple of burgers and chips along with 1 pint each this pub is like a temple to indulge in this frivolous lifestyle, but there are enough of those pubs to go around these day i reckon.

friendofdorothy and editor like this.
  24. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Was this prize given by Yummy Mummy Weekly?

wurlycurly and editor like this.
  25. aka

aka Brixton Hill

As a long-time subscriber to that periodical, I'm doubtful.

wurlycurly likes this.
  26. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Sorry, it's monthly, not weekly....

[​IMG]

editor likes this.
  27. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

28. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Internet discussion boards encapsulated :thumbs:

29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Incoming!

30. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

So paying £30k pa for a three year lease and taking on full fit out costs.