Herne Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by choochi, Jun 9, 2014.

1. nick

nick Pleomorphic Adenomas R us

This * 10.
    And don't put your hands where the hoods would be on a road bike

Snowy - I suspect you know what you are doing on 2 wheels, unlike me (I don't have accredition but enjoy the old fart sessions when I'm between jobs). I had the chance to do an intro session at the Olympic velodrome - that is steep enough to give me vertigo.

2. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

I did this too - absolutely terrifying (and lots of fun).

3. SpamMisery

SpamMisery I bet you think this tagline's about you?

I think the no national chains is an ok definition. It's a bit grey, but it precludes the vast majority of companies people would likely not want: Bet Fred, McDonalds, etc; and pushes it more towards independent operators (98% nationwide according to NR). Wouldn't preclude some though. Foxtons were London only for a long time weren't they? And I think only have Surrey based offices outside London.

4. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

Llewelyn's is very very good, no trouble getting a table so maybe the fuss has died down.

5. urbanspaceman

urbanspaceman Well-Known Member

The Herne Hill Free Film Festival returns, running throughout May. Here's the handout:

The Herne Hill Free Film Festival is Back in May 2018: Bringing Free Films and Help for Local People in Crisis

The Herne Hill Free Film Festival is coming back to South London in 2018 with 21 free films this May, across a range of venues in SE24. The festival runs from 1st May to 1st June with a programme that includes some of the biggest and most critically acclaimed films from the past year, screenings with a strong connection to the local area and a handful of lesser known films that should be on everyone’s cinematic bucket list!
    At each event the Herne Hill Free Film Festival will be partnering with Norwood and Brixton Foodbank, to raise awareness of the great work the charity does and to bring food and support to those in need in the local area.

Dates: 1st May to 1st June 2018
    Venues: Various locations around Herne Hill, SE24
    Price: All events are free; no booking is required, but many venues are indoors and have limited capacity
    Full Programme: www.freefilmfestivals.org/hernehill/

The festival programme creates its first (post-)impression on 1st May with the Oscar nominated Loving Vincent at The Lido Café, with two of the film’s producers in attendance to answer questions from the audience about this mesmerically innovative painted film. On 11th May the festival ventures outdoors as the cycling favourite Belleville Rendez-Vous pedals its way to the Herne Hill Velodrome, and the fun stays out for Get Outat the Brockwell Lido on 19th May and for the acclaimed Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri which is being projected onto one inflatable screen at the Judith Kerr Primary School on 25th May.

For the sixth year the Short Film Nightreturns to The Prince Regent, and the 48 Hour Film Challenge will also be encouraging budding directors to pop their filmmaking cherry over the first bank holiday in May. The best 3-minute masterpiece won’t just be taking home the glory of victory in 2018, as there are cash prizes on offer too for the winners! The festival is also hosting a Work in Progress night for the first time, to give filmmakers the chance to show their unfinished work and get feedback from the (hopefully) gentle audiences of Herne Hill, and five filmmaking and drama workshops will also be happening in the run-up to and during the festival.

Festivalgoers’ appetite for documentaries should be satiated with Ai Wei Wei’s Human Flow, the rarely screened Strangers in Paradise, the acclaimed but little known Spettacolo, the absorbing Wild Combination and the ever-topical Dispossession which will be taking hold of audiences at Cressingham Gardens. Instrument of Change, a documentary about street pianos that features Herne Hill’s frequently tinkled ivories will also take centre stage at Station Square on 27th May for an outdoor evening of film and live music!

The Herne Hill Free Film Festival then closes its doors on 1 June with a screening of the critically acclaimed documentary Being Blacker at The Railway Tavern, featuring a Q&A with director, cinematographer and producer Molly Dineen and a wrap party at the venue’s regular reggae, ska, funk and soul night.

Now in its 6th year the Herne Hill Free Film Festival was established to bring film to all corners of the local community, to make the experience of cinema accessible to everyone, to support local filmmaking talent and to introduce people to films they might not otherwise cross paths with.

This year the Herne Hill Free Film Festival is pleased to be partnering with the Norwood and Brixton Foodbank. Donations of food will be gratefully received at all screenings, and collections taken at every film will also be donated, so local people can access the emergency food and support they need. The Herne Hill Free Film Festival is a volunteer-led community event made possible by the generous support of Pedder Property, Southeastern Rail, The Apple Tree Children’s Café, Olley’s Fish Experience, Yoga Point and Perks and White. The festival's volunteers are also grateful to all the venues for hosting screenings and to audiences for their kind donations.

For more details visit www.freefilmfestivals.org/hernehill/
    FacebookHerne Hill Free Film Festival
    Twitter@HerneHillFilm
    Instagramhhfreefilmfest

Schedule of Films

Date Screening Venue Start Time
    1 May Loving Vincent The Lido Café 8:00pm
    3 May London Work in Progress Club The Florence 7:00pm
    4 May Dispossession: The Great Social Housing Swindle The Rotunda Hall, Cressingham Gardens 7:00pm
    5 May CoCo (Relaxed; HoH subtitled) effraspace 2:00pm
    5 May CoCo (Relaxed; HoH subtitled) effraspace 4:30pm
    5 May Human Flow Yoga Point 8:00pm
    7 May Spettacolo The Half Moon 8:00pm
    11 May Belleville-Rendezvous The Herne Hill Velodrome 9:00pm
    12 May Queen of Katwe Effra Early Years Centre 8:00pm
    13 May Little Shop of Horrors Brockwell Park Community Greenhouses 9:00pm
    17 May Stranger in Paradise + Surprise Short The Prince Regent 8:00pm
    18 May Paddington 2 Rosendale School 7:30pm
    19 May Get Out (HoH subtitled) Brockwell Lido 9:00pm
    23 May The Good, The Bad, The Weird Canopy Beer Co. 9:00pm
    24 May Short Film Night The Prince Regent 8:00pm
    25 May Three Billboards (HoH subtitled) Judith Kerr Primary School 9:00pm
    27 May Instrument of Change Herne Hill Station Square 7:30pm
    28 May Red Turtle Herne Hill Baptist Church 7:30pm
    29 May Wild Connection Off the Cuff 8:00pm
    31 May Beyond the Photo The Prince Regent 8:00pm
    1 June Being Blacker + Q&A with Molly Dineen The Railway Tavern 7:30pm

Schedule of Workshops

Date Screening Venue Start Time
    28 April Make a Film in a Day! Workshop 198 Contemporary Arts and Learning 12:00pm
    2 May 48Hr Film Competition Toolkit Workshop The Half Moon 7:30pm
    5 May Kids Drama Workshop (before CoCo screening) effraspace 1:30pm
    5 May Kids Drama Workshop (before CoCo screening) effraspace 4:00pm
    12 May Girls’ Documentary Workshop Effra Early Years Centre 2:00pm

Attached Files:

6. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

Yes I'm looking forward to seeing a few screening at the Regent.

7. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

I’d really recommend Coco to those who are considering it. I know that Disney can churn out slick films on an annual basis, ticking all the boxes, but this one is particularly good.

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Buzzed: Herne Hill Free Film Festival serves up Hollywood blockbusters, documentaries and indie shorts, May 2018

9. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

So Off the Cuff have bought Fish & Wine* and relaunching it as The Green Parrot - cocktails and food.

*and the accommodation upstairs I presume.

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Has it opened yet? Not sure if it's the kind of thing I'm going to like, but I'll check it out.

11. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Nope - but lots of building work lately and a new sign up today. Just wonder how that (and Agile) will cope with the new Balamory type units at the end...

Milkwood definitely closed and ran - there's still dead flowers in vases / spirit bottles on shelves, which is strange as you see the bloke behind it in the Commercial often.

12. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

I'm surprised that it's them. The sign looks and reads somewhat dated.

13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The Railway people have definitely left the building now.

14. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Well they'd left months ago, leaving that 'we're being refurbished and open again soon' sign up and the blinds down.

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Yes but initially they were still going to ne involved with whatever the new venture was. But now they're not AFAIK.

16. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

ah, that might explain the inexplicable hiatus.

17. footballerslegs

footballerslegs Well-Known Member

CC6A6FDB-E146-44A5-9500-2076F4BA241B.jpeg 00B7A9C2-F86E-42C9-8776-4B23132ABD27.jpeg 491249FE-CF42-45DA-8ADD-99A22E4A51EB.jpeg The cladding has been taken off Herne Hill station underpass, revealing a snapshot of the 80s - including this season ticket from 88 and a couple of posters for ‘Militant Miner’.

18. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

WTF was a capitalcard? :cool:

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Statement from Herne Hill Society in response to Network Rail's plans to kick out the flower shop (and reportedly offer the owner new premises at hiked up prices):

20. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

I think that's a good statement

It's a shame it's needed though ... Network Rail don't seem to be getting any better at listening to what the communities they work in want

editor likes this.
  21. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

They are under pressure to squeeze every last penny from their assets. Community be damned.

editor likes this.
  22. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

I’ve heard it’s because they need a generator to provide power to the new units. Not sure what they did before??

23. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I used them. It was a British Rail London rail pass with bus and tube added - pretty much the same as a (paper) TFL Travelcard is now.

Was quite a progressive step considering what went before - Lord Denning striking down Livingstone's Fare's Fair scheme then the abolition of the GLC. I suppose there must have been stalwarts of integrated ticketing lurking in the bowels of BR and LT who managed to push the Capital Card through.

T & P likes this.
  24. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

More likely a substation. It may well be the case that the old units were under-supplied and the new expanded ones will need more power than the local infrastructure can provide. They're quite big - 4x5m with ventilation requirements.

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

brixtonblade likes this.
  26. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

RubyToogood and brixtonblade like this.
  27. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

Elaine is a Herne Hill treasure and a force to be reckoned with. I don’t think Network Rail know what they’re up against!

28. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

29. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

Perks and White, the independent coffee shop in Herne Hill station are looking for a manager. I don't have any details but you can email rob@perksandwhite.com if you're interested.

30. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

Isn't there room for a substation next to the tracks or elsewhere in the station or all those tunnels?