Herne Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by choochi, Jun 9, 2014.

1. choochi

choochi Well-Known Member

I'd heard it was Made of Dough.

2. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Fucking hell. This changes everything. Is there anywhere else you can get fried chicken in south London do you know?

RubyToogood, ash, Khmer and 1 other person like this.
  3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Why such short notice? That's really shitty.

4. SpamMisery

SpamMisery Pretty comfortable here right under your skin

You may have to search in the thread of fake Morley's

a thread of fake Morleys

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Something really horrible has happened by the kebab shop near the park entrance.

Loads of police and ambulances and a guy flat out on the floor getting treatment.

6. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

A man in his 40s stabbed apparently

7. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Jim Dickson reporting it was a fatality of a teenager.

8. goldengraham

goldengraham Well-Known Member

Not a fatality

9. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

10. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Ah yes, reading error on my part.

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That's the time I went past. The poor bloke was flat on his back and I could see his feet twitching while a group of teenagers filmed him on their phones.

It was directly outside the kebab shop which - rather inappropriately - stayed open and was busy serving a customer while the police and medics attended to the bloke about a metre away.

12. organicpanda

organicpanda cat herder extraodinaire

or a teenager but apart from that spot on

13. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

What the hell was going on?!

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

So it seems that the Milkwood is definitely going to open as a branch of the Agile Rabbit....

16. choochi

I’m quite pleased with that actually. I’ve heard Herne Hill is getting a Gail’s bakery in one of the refurbished shops so I’m pleased something less obviously “aspirational” is opening up to balance it out a bit.

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I think the original owners (the Tulse Hill Railway lot) are still involved though.

I wonder if they ever used that downstairs cinema?

18. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

So how does joe bloggs get a go at the velodrome? My house guest keeps watching sport on telly and reckoning he can be the next Chris hoy/ usain bolt/ mo farah.

gaijingirl

19. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

They have loads of sessions for all comers. The details are on their website. I'm internettly challenged right now but they should be easy enough to find.

friendofdorothy likes this.
  20. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

Not for me it seems. I'll look again.

21. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

Have you seen those shops behind the hoardings - it looks like Balamory.

wurlycurly and snowy_again like this.
  22. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

Everything on there website seems to be 2 years ago, but there are contact details:

Cycling – London Velodrome Herne Hill

Tel 020 7737 4647
    Fax 020 7733 4501

E-mail us
    contact@hernehillvelodrome.co.uk

theres a bit about it on http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/british-racing/velodrome-guide-track-uk-356522 but no opening times

I heard they do an over 50s session one morning a week I think thats a just turn up thing, so they probably do others that are open to other beginners too.

23. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

Not a great choice of colours on my opinion. But the hairdresser opposite thinks they're great and I guess he's the one who's going to have to look at them all day.

24. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Wouldn't that go against Network Rail's claimed "no chain operations" policy?

25. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

There are conflicting rumours floating about. Mustafa who runs the coffee place in the railway tunnel and a customer of his who works for Network Rail swear blind there’ll be a Greggs and a McDonald’s. The greengrocer says all the units are being offered to independents but with short leases and no amenities included like electrics which will make them expensive to fit out. He thinks that’s deliberate so no one takes them and they can then be offered to chains. :hmm:

editor likes this.
  26. choochi

I think NR have said no national chains (I’m assuming that means things like Costa, Greggs?). Gail’s is london only I think.

27. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

I would contend that "national chain" is a meaningless definition. That is, there is no clear cut way of distinguishing between a chain that is "national" and one that is not. Choosing a boundary around London is basically arbitrary.

wurlycurly likes this.
  28. nick

nick Pleomorphic Adenomas R us

There are beginners sessions on a saturday.
    For Old Farts (over 40, or female, the impudent imps !) you can also do a wednesday 9.30 am and a thursday 9.30 without accreditation. It's £10 for the hour with a bike if you need one. I remember the Thursday is the "easier" of the 2 sessions. They are a pretty friendly bunch

quimcunx and editor like this.
  29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's quite tricky going round the Velodrome if you go for the full banking effect. Fun though!

[​IMG]

Good Friday Open Day at the Herne Hill Velodrome, 22nd April, 2011, south London

30. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

HH's got pretty shallow banking compared to most places - much easier than any indoor modern track.

Sometimes proves slightly iffy during the induction sessions when there's 100 people on the track and the pace lowers a bit but they don't generally let you up there until you've proved you can ride at a certain pace and don't forget to pedal.