1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Herne Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by choochi, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Lizzy Mac

Lizzy Mac Well-Known Member

Two arches. I've seen a reference to Network Rail but only one.
    It was all very sudden.

2. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

I had brunch there once and was hugely underwhelmed. Teeny servings and the pancakes tasted like cardboard. Really expensive as well. The service was poor as well

3. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

It's got a beautiful view of the Pizza Express bins too.

editor likes this.
  4. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

On platform 1 of the station there is a poster ad for "Private Doctor". Is this aimed at the gym crowd, since it seems to be connected in some way to a gym in the arches underneath?

I thought doctors were not allowed to advertise - though in these days of waiting a week or two for a non urgent appointment this may be cracking up (like the patients!)

5. ChrisSouth

ChrisSouth Well-Known Member

She is. She supports the Carnegie Library campaign/defend the ten and often tweets about how horrendous the Thameslink trans are through HH and LJ. She's a local star.

CH1 likes this.
  6. ChrisSouth

The concept is totally wrong. She's an advocate of 'clean eating' which has completely been debunked.

wurlycurly likes this.
  7. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

What is clean eating? Never heard of it...

8. organicpanda

organicpanda cat herder extraodinaire

wearing a bib when eating

Rushy likes this.
  9. ChrisSouth

Exactly

10. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

opposite of a 'dirty' burger probably

11. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

They are (were) vegetarian cafes. Only visited two or three times but, beyond being veggie or vegan, nothing otherwise dietarily prescriptive about them as far as I could tell. She describes it as"plant based goodness". Quite tasty but a bit too "festival" quality, I thought. Are you possibly thinking about her blog about managing her cardiac illness through diet (which admittedly I've never read)?

12. Rushy

A bit controversial? :eek:

13. Lizzy Mac

I don't think they have any connection other than the studio has some flyers.
    I could be wrong but I don't think so.

14. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

there were lots of gluten free and paleo options as well

15. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Don't know about the service - but it seems to me that these Siemens trains could do with an energy audit. They seem to me to be twice as heavy as the traditional high speed British Rail electric railcar as used on services such as Kings Cross to Cambridge in 45 mins. That excess mass in itself probably uses huge surges of power on starting up (P=MA - or was when I went to school).

I also think it is a bit odd that Thameslink run so many empty trains between Brighton and Bedford or Three Bridges and Bedford during the day. Siemens trains seem to come in 8 coach or 12 coach variants, with no possibility altering the number of coaches depending on customer demand.

friendofdorothy likes this.
  16. Lizzy Mac

I think Jay Rayner got into some length on this sort of thing.

17. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Some googling suggests 3.3MW for 8-car and 5MW for 12-car on the new class 700
    They weigh 278 and 410 tonnes respoectively

The old class 365 4-car units have about 1.2MW at their disposal
    They weigh 151 tonnes

So thats 11.8kW/t and 12.2kW/t power/weight for the 700s and 7.9kW/t for the 365s

The Class 700 are therefore lighter on a per-car basis, and more powerful, which is why they accelerate so quickly.

Which train actually uses more power from the wires, I can't say.

CH1 and friendofdorothy like this.
  18. Rushy

Offering options is hardly dietarily prescriptive though!
    (The gluten free bread was horrible, mind you. Although imo that's fairly unavoidable).

19. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

South Western Railway have the same trains, introduced after Thameslink started with them, and are getting rid of them already.

friendofdorothy and CH1 like this.
  20. ChrisSouth

Ah, ha, yes. I'm not sure if she had a view on trans, but she comments on the trains

21. Lizzy Mac

You know everything : )

22. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

So this didn't happen and no one's been inside since the start of last month.

Agile Rabbit is the rumour.

23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Their pizzas are overpriced and not particularly satisfying.

24. South East Girl

South East Girl New Member

Naughty Piglets is my favourite London restaurant. Go there for special occasions though as it is pricey.

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That infantile name puts me right off. Sounds like something a load of champers-infused public schoolboys might come up with.

Rah rah!

26. Rushy

Have you tried Donostia Social Club? And did I read someone mention it had or was about to close?

27. I've heard Donostia is moving to Deptford. As for the old Milkwood unit, and if it's true about the Agile Rabbit, why another pizza joint in HH? No way can it top 500 Degrees for quality and price. Say no to yet more pizza outlets, what HH needs is an Asian/Indian restaurant.

28. alcopop

alcopop Well-Known Member

Cool they’re cheap and good!

29. Louisgwinn24

Louisgwinn24 Active Member

Morley's fried chicken in Herne Hill given a 14 day notice by the landlord :(

30. Rushy

Agreed re pizza. And a big shame about Donostia.